Honda Element Owners Club banner

Driver's window auto up/down function inoperative after battery disconnect

83K views 81 replies 60 participants last post by  bigblue 
#1 ·
I installed the Honda fog lamps last night. Everything went fairly well but I noticed today that the automatic power window feature doesn't work!

The driver's side power window works fine but when I click and release the switch, the window just stops.

The only thing I can think of is either I accidently loosened a connector around where the relay resides or I have a defective wiring harness.

I'm going to debug it tonight and hopefully find a loose connector. I cringe at the thought of replacing that harness; it was a pain to install.

Has anyone else had this experience?

#2 ·
There is a faq on the Honda Canada website in regards to what to do to reset the driver's side express up/down. In a nutshell, take the window down and hold the switch for a few seconds, then take the window up and hold it for a few seconds.

It's easy to find on the Honda Canada website, and I think someone has copied the url to this board.

Reactions: michel.bouchard
#4 ·
After battery disconnect, power window auto-up/down function inoperative

I recently installed the keyless entry on my new Element. However, I have one small problem - the auto up/down function on the driver's window is disabled. Can anyone help me on this? Thought I read a thread in one of the forums about this but can't find it now.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I recently installed the keyless entry on my new Element. However, I have one small problem - the auto up/down function on the driver's window is disabled. Can anyone help me on this? Thought I read a thread in one of the forums about this but can't find it now.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!
you have to reset the memory... hold the down button all the way down until it opens all the way and continue to hold it for 2 seconds more... then close the window and keep holding the button for 2 seconds after the window is closed

#7 ·
Automatic window

Hi all,

After doing the side light/blinker modification I left my lights on for 4 hours or so. Battery went dead. Its all charged up now fine, but my automatic down and up window doesn't work. i could manage to reset the clock - funny, all my radio presets were still valid.

But, the auto-up/down on my window doesn't work now.

Any ideas on that one??

TIA

B

#9 · (Edited)
Re: Automatic window

If i ever had to guess i'd say 10% of the cars we get traded in are missing the owners manual.....Is it possible that most people take them out of the glove box so they can squeeze one more raod map or an emergency supply of gummy bears in there?.....I know when im working on my E my manual is in my office filing cabinet.....and yes on occasison i've been guilty of neglecting to RTFM.

#10 ·
Re: Automatic window

I've recently encountered a problem with my auto up/down window feature. At least once every two weeks I had to reset the damn thing as per the manual. After giving up a few months ago, it seems to have reset itself. Low battery or faulty switch?

#11 ·
Driver side auto window problem

I installed an intake and removed the battery to do this. Now my window won't auto down or up. Is there something I need to know or is it just coincidence?

#13 ·
Re: Driver side auto window problem

Yeah I'm a dumb-a. There are about 10 other post exactly like this one. I knew about the radio reset, but never figured you had to reset the window too. Thanks.

#14 ·
Re: Driver side auto window problem

Don't feel bad. I made the same mistake and posted here.. got several RTFM's! :)

Pretty simple fix.

MA

#15 ·
driver side automatic window button stopped working after disconnecting the battery

I disconnected the battery yesterday to do some work; however after plugging the batt back in the driver side automatic window button stopped working. The window will roll up and down with no problem but it just wouldn't go up and down automatically anymore even when i press it hard

#16 ·
mc02uk2002 said:
I disconnected the battery yesterday to do some work; however after plugging the batt back in the driver side automatic window button stopped working. The window will roll up and down with no problem but it just wouldn't go up and down automatically anymore even when i press it hard
Have you tried this? Pull up on the switch and hold it for a few seconds after it closes. I think that sets the auto feature.

(It's probably in your owners manual.) :)

#17 · (Edited)
#21 ·

Page 105 of the 2003 manual states:

"If your vehicle's battery is disconnected or goes dead, or the driver's window fuse is removed, the AUTO function will be disabled. The power window system needs to be reset after reconnecting the battery or installing the fuse. You should do the following.

1. Start the engine. Push down on the driver's window switch until the window is fully open.

2. Pull back on the driver's window switch to close the window completely, then hold the switch for a second or two more.

If the power windows do not operate properly after resetting, have your vehicle checked by a Honda dealer."

#23 · (Edited)
Automatic window and battery change

I just had to replace my battery. No problem, at least after I found my radio code :) However what doesn't work now is the automatic up and down on the drivers window. Worked before battery was changed. Is there a setting or fuse that could have been messed up? If it matters it is an '05

<<<Disregard, I found the answer in another thread>>>

#26 ·
Thanks, this was much quicker than looking in the manual. esp since it's always in the car - and I'm usually at a PC. Now I have to figure out how to reset or fix the auxiliary function on the radio. That went too after the new battery install.

#28 ·
Auto up, down on window not working

I had to put in a new battary yesterday after the old one died on me and now my Automatic up and down for the driver side window isn't working, the window still works but you have to hold the button down:confused:. Could it be a blown fuse after the attempt to charge my battery and trying to start it up or something else. Not a huge issue but would like to fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.