Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have projectors that are being used as DRL?
did you use a relay harness? does it have enough voltage to switch on the relay harness?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Are you wanting to install DRLs in hour headlights? I was going to install DRLs in my headlights and found that the system is a grounding type. I eventually installed the DRL system in my fog lights. You cannot use the DRL system in a HID setup as the module uses PWM to reduce the voltage to around 10 volts. It depends on what type of system you want to install.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
That is true and the relays can handle the voltage drop. The ballasts take their voltage directly from the battery hookup. The only thing you would have to even worry about is the bulb live will be reduced from all the extra starts as the ballast striking the bulb reduces the life. Worst case scenario but the replacement bulbs and ballasts are cheap now.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya thats fine, $40-50 for ballasts and $30 for bulbs.
i jest need DRLs

i was reading on the mazda forum and one guy said by grounding the hid kit to a body ground it will give you constant 12v........:?

·
Registered
180 Posts
hey, dom08, i've been following your threads here regarding your quest. i knew you're almost gonna do gen-x dad's HID upgrade but switched later on to projectors... so, won't you mind updating us what's yor status now on that? from the looks of it, you got projectors in there already, mind if i ask for some pix?

it's also my quest not to use the headlights for DRL's just in case i upgrade to HID. i'm almost tempted to chop out the OEM foglight harness to use the fogs as DRL's, but i'm still on the look out here for those cheap LED lights that can directly connected to just the fusebox.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I bought a DRL module and just tied it in with the fog light power and it works great and I still have the fogs working like they are wired as the parking light power disables the DRL unit.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Galor_12: i dont have the projectors or hid kit yet.
i will be ordering them in the next 9 hours or so from Theretrofitsource i just wanted to see if anyone has wired hids to DRL... i didnt want to drop close to $300 and find out i cant do that.. what i will be trying to do is splicing the HID's into the ignition that way when my E is on the low beams are on... it that doesnt work i will wire up a switch and hide it somewhere and just leave it on so when my E is on the low beams are on... it will take some work but i will figure it out and for sure post pics asap :-D
i will keep you guys posted

·
Registered
180 Posts
@ slimerdog

would you mind providing the details on how did you set up your fogs as your DRL's? if it's okay, the step by step process as this was my intention ever since if i'm gonna upgrade my headlights into HID's and i don't want them on all the time as our E's up here are set-up with the headlights with DRL's.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Not a problem and I sent you a link. There is a video shot at the Vegas meet that has my E in it and shows the fogs on as the DRLs. Can't get that youtube link here at work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts