Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been consolidating and arranging my songs in iTunes, but once copied over, I had hundreds of duplicates in my music folder. I'm using Windows, so I tried the old CTRL+click method to highlight each dupe, but it was taking forever. After searching the internet and looking at various tips and downloadable programs, I came across this simple solution...

First, show the duplicates by going to File> Show Duplicates
Next, right click on the bar that shows Title, Artist, and Album
Click "Date Added". This adds a new column showing when the track was added to iTunes.
Now, when you click the column heading "Date Added", it sorts the tracks by the most recently added.
Finally, highlight all of the newest duplicates and delete them.

You might still have a few to remove, but this sure save a LOT of headache.

I'm assuming it works the same way on a Mac. Just thought I would share. :cool:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Does the "consolidate library" option do that? I don't think I ever tried it, but I don't have duplicates (unless I have a "best of" album from an artist as well as the regular release).

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
You can also use media player to clean up the mess. That's all I'm using now. I-Tunes is gone . Or is that I-Toons >:D

That's because I'm feeding other MP3 players other than I-pod.
It does not play well with one of them. Media player does.

Dom

·
Registered
616 Posts
I had the duplicate fun happen a few years ago. Thanks for the tip if it ever happens again. I ended up with duplicates because I had to do a restore on my main hard drive. I abandoned the drive because I could not trust it anymore. When I transferred the music from the archive to the new drive and next synced my ipod everything on the ipod duplicated on the new drive. I could only figure that the archived AAC files lost some identifier info.

Now do you have a way to easily delete duplicate contacts in Outlook Express? My Mogul got totally goofy and I had to do a hard reboot. I saved the contacts to file. After restore and saving the files back to the phone I later Active Synced to my work laptop and ended up with duplicate contacts on both. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the "consolidate library" option do that? I don't think I ever tried it, but I don't have duplicates (unless I have a "best of" album from an artist as well as the regular release).
Consolidate basically goes out and searches the HD for music files and adds it to the main music file. If you've got files that you use with Media Player or WinAmp, iTunes automatically assimilate them. I don't know if it changes the file associations, though.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can also use media player to clean up the mess. That's all I'm using now. I-Tunes is gone . Or is that I-Toons >:D

That's because I'm feeding other MP3 players other than I-pod.
It does not play well with one of them. Media player does.

Dom
Media Player doesn't see iTunes AAC files...especially protected ones downloaded from the iTunes store.

·
Registered
717 Posts
iTunes Find Duplicates is a good one trick pony.

Goodsync is a good utility for synching, backing up or consolidating any kind of files in any two folders (+ subfolders).
The free version does a lot.
The "Pro" version does much more.
I used it to grab all the music from all of my networked computers and put them on my home server.
I added the free Tivo plug-in for my server and I can now pick my songs on the TV and play them through the stereo.

I am now in music heaven with over 5,000 songs. :)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Wow Good tip !

I'm all over that one.

Dom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts