Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Duralast 56-DL Stock Battery Replacement Installation. [Now with 100% less ghetto!]

Hey,

So after having my battery die after listening to talk radio for 45 minutes, I decided to upgrade.

After searching this forum, I found out about the Duralast 56-DL battery that supposedly "drops in". Let's put that to the test!

Here is the battery:

http://www.autozone.com/R,12233/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,1868/partType,00175/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

Price: $67.99
Core: $12.00
Total: $79.99

Take off the height extender and carry handle:

One of these is not like the other:

Specs:

Wimpy stock specs:

The new battery fits in the bottom of the battery tray, but the plastic heat shield that goes around the stock battery does NOT fit though.

Installed:

You'll see that the battery strap does NOT fit the bigger battery, duh. I cut a piece of the height extender to help cinch the battery down.

It is rock solid.

It's on the charger now getting topped off. I'll let you guys know how long I can play tunes until my battery dies now. ;)

Only issue I had was the stock battery tray was kind of a PITA to seat into the two little holes that hold it in place. Some sweat and swearing fixed that.

Hope this helps!

Kevin "Old thread was old."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey,

When I was returning the stock battery to Autozone for the core charge, I picked up a Lynx adjustable battery hold down.

It was $6.99 and gets rid of the Ghetto Fabulousness.

Here's the pic installed:

Much better.

The other way would work, but it was inelegant.

Kevin ":D"

·
Registered
235 Posts
A new battery shouldn't need "topping off", it should be ready to go right off the shelf.

It's actually recommended by Yuasa(powersports batteries). We won't let a battery fly out the door until it's topped off on a battery tender, some of them can take up to an hour to peak, brand new.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Why I love these forums...

Knowing I wanted to get a new battery just before the holiday travel, I decided to give the ol' forums a look again. I just looked up 'new battery' on here this morning, hoping that someone had figured out a bigger regular battery (instead of the expensive Optima upgrade). Low and behold, RarestRX had taken care of the dirty work for me. I picked up the battery and bracket, hooked it all up, and everything works great. Just follow the directions and suggestions posted and you too can put on a car battery.

Thanks for the photos and suggestions RarestRX, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll tune into XM 82 "The System" and crank some trance for an hour.
RarestRX,

Have you done your test yet? If so, what were your results?

FarStar

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'm curious to know if the motor cranks faster/stronger with the new battery? That's my biggest complaint with the stocker, it just seems to crank really slow on those cold mornings.

290 Posts
I also replaced my battery recently. I thought about a larger battery, but decided to stick with the 51R. I replaced my dead bat with the 51R from Costco. $61 OTD. After reading this tread, I realized something. Honda got wise. They upgraded their batteries, not just for the Element either.

The 31500-SR1-100M description is: [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BAT (51R/500AMP85). My interpretation: size 51R, CCA 500A, warranty 85 months. Same specs as the Costco.

Knowing this:

"
[/FONT]Johnson Controls is a U.S.-based supplier of automotive interior systems and facility management and control, and is the largest automotive battery supplier in North and South America. Its original equipment battery customers include DaimlerChrysler, Ford, Honda, Nissan and Toyota. The company supplies private-label aftermarket batteries for Advance Auto, AutoZone, Costco, Interstate Battery System of America, Pep Boys, Sears, Wal-Mart and others."

I'd be willing to bet that the new OEM battery is exactly the same as the Costco battery, except $40 more. I'm glad I didn't try to go "bigger".

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I also replaced my battery recently. I thought about a larger battery, but decided to stick with the 51R. I replaced my dead bat with the 51R from Costco. $61 OTD. After reading this tread, I realized something. Honda got wise. They upgraded their batteries, not just for the Element either.

The 31500-SR1-100M description is: [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BAT (51R/500AMP85). My interpretation: size 51R, CCA 500A, warranty 85 months. Same specs as the Costco.

Knowing this:

"
[/FONT]Johnson Controls is a U.S.-based supplier of automotive interior systems and facility management and control, and is the largest automotive battery supplier in North and South America. Its original equipment battery customers include DaimlerChrysler, Ford, Honda, Nissan and Toyota. The company supplies private-label aftermarket batteries for Advance Auto, AutoZone, Costco, Interstate Battery System of America, Pep Boys, Sears, Wal-Mart and others."

I'd be willing to bet that the new OEM battery is exactly the same as the Costco battery, except $40 more. I'm glad I didn't try to go "bigger".
I think the 85 is most likely referring to the reserve capacity, but who knows :| I also still don't believe 500CCA is adequate, whether that's an upgrade from the older version or not. My used E had a brand new battery in it when I got it and it still cranked slow. It's livable in the summer, but scary in the winter. I am actually thinking about going the Kinetik route.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm curious to know if the motor cranks faster/stronger with the new battery? That's my biggest complaint with the stocker, it just seems to crank really slow on those cold mornings.
I want to say yes, but it may be just from the fact that my old stock battery was dying. It seems good though. My GF has the toaster out of town right now but other wise I would check a few tests like sitting parked and see the time it takes for the battery to kick out. Maybe after the holiday.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts