Honda Element Owners Club banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I just replaced my dead 51r with a 24-DLG.

There didnt seem to be much of a difference between the 51r Duralast Gold, and the 56 Duralast Red battery (56 unavailable in Gold line), and figured with their batteries being roughly the same price I wanted the most I could get.

The 24 is a decent bit larger, but bumped me to 790cca (+290cca) & 130min(+45min) reserve & was even $10 cheaper than the 51R. I had to remove the plastic liner and modify the OEM bracket slightly, but it fit right in. Also helps that I have long since pitched the air box resonator. I still need to fabricate a new tiedown, but should finish that up tomorrow. I may build a new tray for the battery later on, but dont think it will be needed.

My last Optima red died within a year, and didnt have any luck warrantying it. Optima isnt what they once were, and within the last couple years have dropped significantly in quality.

·
Registered
816 Posts
my battery is almost 4 years old...i did find an autozone about 35 mins from my house that does have 2 56-dl's left,,,thinking about just changing out the battery now so i can grab 1 of those last 56 dl"s....i just hate to change something that still works but i know if i dont in the next few months i will need it.....the i will have to kick myself in the a$$...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Tough call... but that "Sli Group 55" that Batteries Plus stocks, does fit... as I recall, same basic cold cranks as the DL-56.

·
Registered
816 Posts
i got it

Tough call... but that "Sli Group 55" that Batteries Plus stocks, does fit... as I recall, same basic cold cranks as the DL-56.
i bought it..my battery is 4 years old ..so as i figure its on borrowed time..it was $99+ tax=108.25...- $5 for the core...$103 total ...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Had a 56-DL in my hands yesterday contemplating if I was going to do the swap this weekend. Just read the posts on it being discontinued...headed back to the store now to pick it up...they had 2 or 3 there.

Thanks for updating the availability!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Had a 56-DL in my hands yesterday contemplating if I was going to do the swap this weekend. Just read the posts on it being discontinued...headed back to the store now to pick it up...they had 2 or 3 there.

Thanks for updating the availability!
Yes. I got 1 of the last 2 left here in Brooklyn. Make sure you also get that lynx tie down holder. Your need it. It was only $ 4.99

·
Registered
26 Posts
24-dlg

After debating which battery to get, after reading all the great post, I finally decided. I got the 24-DLG from Autozone instead of the 56-DL yesterday 11/13/11. Last winter I needed to get jumped at least 5 times due to cold weather. My battery would also die after about 30-minutes of leaving the radio or lights on with the engine off. The original battery is awful. The worker at Advanced Auto-parts said that you need 420 amps to start a car, so why would Honda put a 410cca battery in a car. Not sure how accurate that is.

Here is some info for those deciding:
24-DLG Duralast Gold Battery
$99.99 + ($12.00 core charge)
750 CCA
Reserve Capacity (Min): 130
3-year free replacement
8-year prorated replacement

56-DL Duralast Battery
$94.99 + ($12.00 core charge)
590 CCA
Reserve Capacity (Min): 95
2-year free replacement
7-year prorated replacement

Installation of the 24-DLG:
extra parts:
-Lynx Adjustable Battery Hold-down $5.99
-AGS Battery & Cable Terminal Protector $1.49
-Battery Post Shims $2.29

1. removed the old crappy battery along with the black plastic battery cover and tray. First (-), then (+).
2. cleaned the connectors with a baking soda paste made with a little water and baking soda and used a green Brillo pad, brushed off excess.
3. applied lithium grease provided in the AGS Battery & Cable Terminal Protector pack to the connectors.
4. bent the two battery brackets attached to car outward away from metal tray
5. carefully set battery in avoiding air intake and cables with the (+) post closest to the front and (-) post closet to air intake.
6. used existing j-bolt, which just barely were long enough to hook onto the previously bent bracket, and new Lynx Adjustable Battery Hold-down on top and tightened down.
7. applied lithium grease to inside of battery post shim and outside and slid onto the (+) post and also set red felt ring onto the post.
8. attached (+) cable to new battery and tightened down.
9. applied lithium grease to (-) post and attached (-) cable to new battery and tightened down.

note: the cables were just long enough to reach across the battery but needed the battery shim on the (+) terminal to be able to tighten down.

I hope this helps someone as everyone's posts on here have be extremely helpful. Thank you to everyone.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Uh... I think some wires got crossed on the first post. I looks like he installed a baby into some pvc piping, through a wall and onto a snow covered deck.... cute baby though.
I was wondering what the hell you were talking about, so I went back to the first page and I now see it .lol:lol:

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Optima 51R Yellow Top is a deep cycle gel battery and is an OEM direct replacement. It's got 450 CCA's in a safe, sealed, maintenance-free casing, so you never have to worry about acid leaks or corrosion. Plus, it's 15times more resistance to shock and vibration which are the leading causes of battery failure. They also last twice as long as conventional wet batteries. I've been extremely pleased with mine.

Chief
My Local Advance Auto carries that model $169.99 Minus the $50 off $150 or more code (VISA) $119.99! Sick price!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, I'd be worried about that if you were to get into an accident.
I checked with a mechanic friend last night and he said it looks fine, especially because it still has the (+) cover. I think I would have lots of concerns if I got into an accident so I guess I will avoid them.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I checked with a mechanic friend last night and he said it looks fine, especially because it still has the (+) cover. I think I would have lots of concerns if I got into an accident so I guess I will avoid them.
Since you have to ability to avoid accidents you should be totally fine.:-D Obviously I'm kidding as we all know one can't always avoid accidents. Hopefully you won't ever get into an accident and ever have a problem with that terminal being in that position.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got the 24-DLG from Autozone instead of the 56-DL
I just replaced my battery yesterday. Two events took place that caused this, a car wash place left the lights on throughout the entire car wash and drying which killed it probably about 15 mins then my wife was waiting for me to get done with work and left the parking lights on and had the flip down dvd player going for our daughter for 10 minutes.

I used Chrispy's battery size except Duralast makes a 24F-DLG which has the positive and negative terminals switched so the Positive is in the same spot as the stock battery terminal. So no positive terminal so close to the front support frame. Theo only thing that worries me is having no heat shield so I will be getting the Termo Tec Battery heat shield wrap.

I found it interesting that the stock battery size was more expensive then the upgraded battery at Autozone.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Thermo-Tec-8-x-40-in-Battery-Wrap-Heat-Barrier/_/N-269m?counter=11&filterByKeyWord=heat+shield&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=398806_0_0_&viewAll=true

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just replaced my battery yesterday. Two events took place that caused this, a car wash place left the lights on throughout the entire car wash and drying which killed it probably about 15 mins then my wife was waiting for me to get done with work and left the parking lights on and had the flip down dvd player going for our daughter for 10 minutes.

I used Chrispy's battery size except Duralast makes a 24F-DLG which has the positive and negative terminals switched so the Positive is in the same spot as the stock battery terminal. So no positive terminal so close to the front support frame. Theo only thing that worries me is having no heat shield so I will be getting the Termo Tec Battery heat shield wrap.

I found it interesting that the stock battery size was more expensive then the upgraded battery at Autozone.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Thermo-Tec-8-x-40-in-Battery-Wrap-Heat-Barrier/_/N-269m?counter=11&filterByKeyWord=heat+shield&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=398806_0_0_&viewAll=true
Hey dp3dp,

Why are you suggesting a heat shield? Is that to protect from heat from the engine to make it last longer?

I wish I knew they had reversed terminal battery, nice find. I'll use that one on my gf's element when she needs to upgrade.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah from the quick research I did there is a reason to the heat shield and the wrap seems like a nice solution just to protect the battery a little longer. From what I saw excessive heat can shorten the life of the battery as well as it can exploded if getting to that point. I have not had any issues yet as I am sure most people that have done a bigger battery without a heat shield. But, when you deploy for 12 months it gives the wife one less thing to try and fix while you are gone for 12 months, without you around...

121 - 140 of 174 Posts