Honda Element Owners Club banner

141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed the 24-DLG Duralast Gold last night (10/26/2012), it fit perfectly!- No room to spare. It took all of 15 minutes and I'm very sure to have no battery issues this winter in Minnesota now that I have 750CCA!!!

After debating which battery to get, after reading all the great post, I finally decided. I got the 24-DLG from Autozone instead of the 56-DL yesterday 11/13/11.

Here is some info for those deciding:
24-DLG Duralast Gold Battery
$99.99 + ($12.00 core charge)
750 CCA
Reserve Capacity (Min): 130
3-year free replacement
8-year prorated replacement

Installation of the 24-DLG:
extra parts:
-Lynx Adjustable Battery Hold-down $5.99
-AGS Battery & Cable Terminal Protector $1.49
-Battery Post Shims $2.29

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did the Duralast 56-DL also. I liked being able to keep the stock battery base, wire layout, etc. Install was as easy as remove and replace, except I had to buy a new top belt for $6.

The 56-DL is a significant increase in spec and should leave a stock E like mine happy for many years.

The current price is $99.99 + tax...

I was going to get an Interstate, but this increase in spec is worth more than name plate, super warranties, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Wanted to bump this because my battery died today.

5 years ain't bad.

Autozone gave me money back for the replacement and they still make the 56-DL.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
So what is the current school of thought for

Drop in replacement:

One that needs some mods:
I modified the spacer tray that comes with the Optima group 35 starting deep cycle battery to fit into the factory battery space. I also was able to put in this battery that has 750 CCA vs 410 CCA.

Pics later...

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
I modified the spacer tray that comes with the Optima group 35 starting deep cycle battery to fit into the factory battery space. I also was able to put in this battery that has 750 CCA vs 410 CCA.

Pics later...
I look forward to seeing the pix! ;-)

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Using some of the info from the Duralast 56-DL thread, I obtained the Lynx adjustable battery hold down Autozone #095990 for $4.99 and an optima starting/deep cycle battery D35 with 750 CCA Autozone #605893 $229.99.

Please note, Autozone has a little scam/deceptive practices going on. They like to tear off the caps and throw them away as you buy it so that you can't return it should you decide it doesn't fit, I asked for the manager to dig them out of the trash.

Modify both sides as needed

They make an OE fitment optima battery as well Optima D51R ($184.99) with 450 CCA for those that are less adenturous.

I started with a wood block and decided I'd modify the plastic spacer that comes with the D35.

You need some cutters

Mess of shavings

Not pretty, but it clears

·
Registered
102 Posts
I need some advice. My battery light flashed on and off the other morning on my very short drive to work (1.2 miles), and winter is coming. I want to replace the battery with something with a little more capacity, but don't really want to mod a whole lot. I've read through as many threads on this wonderful site as I can. My conclusion, for me is to look into a Size 56 interstate battery (just my brand preference). Would this be a pretty straight install? I gather I need the extended battery hold down. Any advice from you guys would be extremely appreciated. - Eric

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
The battery light you mention is in reality an alternator light. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question324.htm
It means the battery is not getting juice from the alternator. Your serpentine belt is slipping. Did you run through a puddle of water? If it's been a few years since you have replaced it you should consitter doing it. Not hard and not expensive.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15121
And yes the size 56 would fit with no problems.
Thanks for the links! It was wishful thinking that it was just the battery. I didn't run through any puddles. I will have a look at the belt. Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Great thread, guys!

I think I'm going to need to replace my battery soon. Plug-in charge meter tells me it's really low and the green "eye" is black.

It sounds like the 24-DLG Duralast Gold is the way to go, but O'Reilly's website says it doesn't fit in a 2007 AWD? They also say the same thing about the 56-DL and that only needs the hold down switched to fit...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
They say that because it isn't stock. The stock battery is small and has a large plastic cover over it. The size 56 is the same size as the plastic cover. With the plastic cover removed the size 56 will fit very nice. You just need the adjustable plastic bracket.
Once you get the battery and new bracket and get started you will be amazed how easy everything fits.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for the info, guys! That helps a lot. I'll pick up the Duralast 56 and a new bracket.

I'd normally ignore the black "eye" thing on the battery but my E has been starting a little rough and I think the battery that's in it now is probably the one that was in it when it was purchased new from the dealer in 2007.

I've been using a 5 watt trickle charger and a battery monitor to keep an eye on things and the charging system seems to be operating properly, the battery just never manages to hold a good charge.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Had to wait a couple days for the local AutoZone to get the Lynx tie-down in stock, and did the battery swap this morning.

Definitely just as easy as everyone said. Took less than 10 minutes from start to finish, even putting in the radio code and resetting the clock.

The info about resetting the driver's side power window (roll window don & hold button for 2 seconds, then roll up and hold for 2 seconds) was really helpful too. Don't think I would have ever figured that out otherwise.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Did this replacement after work today. The factory battery was only 3-4 yrs old and took a dump this am. Wouldnt start. Now my E has a decent size battery.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The Element is usually parked in the garage where it's slightly warmer, but 3 days ago, I parked it on the street and when I went back it took quite a bit longer to crank in the cold 15-20 degree weather, so I figured it was time for a new battery. I don't know for sure, but I think it had the stock battery (it is Honda labeled, bought the car about 2 years ago used).

Decided to do a battery upgrade with a Costco 24F battery rated at 700 CCA. They had the OEM size Group 51 rated at 500 CCA.

All went pretty smoothly, pulled out the battery shrouds and bent out the hook tabs.

I wanted to put on a wood battery platform, but I had 3/4" plywood that raised the battery too much to be able to use the stock tie down bolts. I think that even a 1/2" thick plywood would have been ok. I have some 3/8" plywood that I'll throw in there eventually.

Thanks for the thread!

141 - 160 of 174 Posts