Honda Element Owners Club banner

161 - 174 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks everyone for this thread. My battery must have been swapped with a DOWNgraded 410 CCA unit before I bought it (cert. used). I bought the size 56 Duralast and the bracket and now have 590 CCA and a great fit. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
After nearly exactly 5 years (truly can't believe it's been this long, but checked my post #71 in this thread and sure enough) my 56-R DieHard... died. So, picked up another 56-R Duralast this time as it was all I could find today in 56-R.

Wholly crap there was a TON of corrosion on the positive post of the old battery. Spent a bunch of time with a box of baking soda, empty plastic sour cream container, water and a toothbrush getting it clean as new before putting the new battery in. Had to take off the red plastic cover too just to get it all acid neutral and clean. The Lynx tie-down worked perfect for the first 5 years. Put it back on for another 5.

Reset the drivers window, added the radio code, and now good to go for another 5 years fingers crossed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Interstate lasted 11 years!-Duralast not so good

Have a Duralast we bought just 3 years ago for the E and it's JUNK. Meanwhile, just today I replaced an Interstate in my wife's car that was 11 YEARS OLD!! We know 'cause we bought it 1 month after our son was born! He weighed 1/4 of its weight and was smaller than it was! We actually took a picture with him and the battery today before trading it in=AMAZING!
I should have gone with the Interstate to begin with. Oh well. Live and ya learn.
But thanks for letting us know the size 56 will likely fit. We'll see in the next couple of days ;-)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks!

I really appreciate this thread. I proactively replaced the original battery (5yo, 38k miles) as it was starting to feel sluggish. I went with the Duracell 56-DL (from Autozone: $105 after tax and $15-off-$75 coupon and core-charge return) instead of stock size.

The battery hold down brand I found locally is:
"Super Start Battery Hold-Down" at O'Reilly (part 01343), for $6.

Interestingly, my radio and passenger window didn't need a reset afterwards, just re-input of channels/time on the radio. (?) But I was ready!

Thank you!

·
Registered
143 Posts
You DO get what you pay for in batteries and quality is worth the money. Sadly, most people do not care for their batteries properly and so they believe that when their battery dies, it's used up. And of course the battery companies love when you return a "dead" battery as a core charge that they can basically cycle through some chemical and electrical refreshing and re-sell that battery.

The thing is, it takes a really used battery to be actually dead. The electro-chemistry in lead-acid batteries is not only centuries old, but almost entirely reversible. Most of them can be recovered with a battery cycling device (and a good dose of caution) and a hygrometer. I don't mean the cheap ones that top off your battery, I mean a true battery revival charging device with electronic controls and monitoring. Ask anyone who owns a sailboat or a yacht with "house" batteries and they will tell you what they do to maintain them.

My new-to-me 2008 EX AWD had an almost "dead" battery when I bought it in 2014. When I checked it out, it was the OEM battery from 2008!!! 6 years old!! It wasn't holding a charge so I put it on the special charger and let it do it's thing. BOOM...nearly brand new battery...ahem still 6 years old.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My new-to-me 2008 EX AWD had an almost "dead" battery when I bought it in 2014. When I checked it out, it was the OEM battery from 2008!!! 6 years old!! It wasn't holding a charge so I put it on the special charger and let it do it's thing. BOOM...nearly brand new battery...ahem still 6 years old.[/QUOTE]

Can you tell us what that Special Charger is & where you got it ,I would like to be able to buy it if its reasonable ,or rent one , if needed

·
Registered
532 Posts
My new-to-me 2008 EX AWD had an almost "dead" battery when I bought it in 2014. When I checked it out, it was the OEM battery from 2008!!! 6 years old!! It wasn't holding a charge so I put it on the special charger and let it do it's thing. BOOM...nearly brand new battery...ahem still 6 years old.
Can you tell us what that Special Charger is & where you got it ,I would like to be able to buy it if its reasonable ,or rent one , if needed[/QUOTE]

It was probably a low amp (2 amp) trickle charger.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A good place to start learning about how batteries really work is http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/charging-articles/make-the-bad-sulfation-go-away.html

Or there are a lot of good articles here http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/sulfation_and_how_to_prevent_it

Basically you need to desulfate your battery. Look for a charger that does electronically controlled desulfating for the type of battery you have (most chargers will do all or most types).

There are a lot more references if you search the web for more detail, and if you know what you're doing, you can use a variable DC power supply to apply the charging algorithm "manually," but I don't recommend this if you are not well-versed in electrical and chemical safety and have the right equipment.

But considering that one of these costs about as much as a new battery and can extend the life of your existing batteries tremendously, it's a great tool to have in your DIY arsenal.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just swapped out the 5 year old group 51R that came in my E for a group 35. Lots of info in this thread on installations for that size.

I wound up with an East Penn/Deka intimidator agm battery with 680cca made for and sold by Blains Farm and Fleet and on sale for $125, only about $30 more than a good non-AGM group 35 around here.

I had looked at the E float and charge voltages and decided they were close enough to AGM specs to make it worth a go.

It was quite an easy install because like a lot of AGMs it is sold with a spacer to make it fit a BCI category. The actual dimensions without the spacer are 7 3/4" H, 6 1/4" W and 8 5/8" L, pretty trim for a group 35.

The lower height gives lots of leeway for a 1/2" to 3/4" spacer or tray (I made one out of 1/2" HDPE) and still uses the stock mounting rods (I used the Lynx adjustable strap). The 6 1/4" width minimizes the bend required on the mount tabs. All in all, went in more like a group 56 than a group 35. Could have used the Honda tray with a bit of trimming but I went for a bit more rigidity as it is a heavier battery than the 51R peanut.

We'll see how it goes. It has a 3 yr replacement/84 month pro-rated warranty and Blains has been pretty straight with us in the past...

Can't say I'm looking forward to winter but maybe my E is now:|

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi friends - just wanted to dig this thread up real quick to mention that you an get a group 56 at Walmart these days for $100 (Everlast Plus). Seems like the price has gone up at the local parts places - probably because the warranty is 3 years as opposed to 2 for the Everlast.
  • Pulled the 51 out
  • Bent the tabs where the J-hooks attach back just a bit to accommodate the fatter 56 (don't worry you'll figure out what I mean by this when you're in there)
  • Dropped in the Everstart 56
  • Tossed the stock hold down bracket thingy that goes over the battery
  • Secured with a new hold down bracket thingy from Orielly
  • Secured the terminals without modification
Like many others, I needed bit more CCA to for the winter - already been in the 30s here and the Batteries Plus 51 was sounding pretty wimpy when starting up.

Still love my E!

161 - 174 of 174 Posts