Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know, curb height to get on it, sort of peaked in the middle by a bit, down off a curb height on the other side. My excuse is that it was a white out and I just didn't see it. I bounced up onto it, knew I had to keep going, gave it some gas, one or more wheels spun, I heard enough of a "clunk!" from underneath to know I'd bottomed out on something, but I made it over and back home. I hit it at no more than a crawl but it still surprised the s...t! out of me because I know that parking lot...just not in a white out.

So far I don't notice anything amiss. I've looked under there but unless I had it up on a lift and checked every inch I wouldn't know what took the hit. So that's my question:

Given that scenario, what is the most likely low point that scraped? I see there's a bar of sorts on the passenger side that would appear to be protecting something. Are there any other "skid plate-like" structures under there protecting whatever?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Def the gas tank cage. That is the crappiest part of design on the element..... I have scraped the gas tank cage on lots of things over the years.

Should have put the spare on the roof. I keep thinking about putting a tank in the spare tire well.

Unfortunately there is something else on the other side (cat converter maybe?) you can't tell is hanging down unless you lay on the ground. The gas tank removal would only gain you a few inches I think.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just went to the liquor store I was at that I drove over that curb divider. I remembered to look at it to see how high it is. Unfortunately it's where they pile the snow when they plow that area of the lot and it's under 6' of snow. Maybe later in the Spring I'll be able to see it! If it had 6' on it a few weeks ago I never would have driven over it but...woulda shoulda coulda.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The snowbank covering the curbed divider I drove over melted down just enough for me to spot huge rocks on top of it! Yikes! But there was a path just wide enough for my E to get through, apparently that was how I got over it...or maybe I did slam over a rock, who knows. Three more snowstorms, including the one last night, have covered the area back up again with 6' of plowed snow. Might be awhile before I can really see what it is I drove over. Got to get my E up in the air to see what's what under there. So far it drives OK.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I would still think the gas tank protector (personally, I'm having trouble calling it a cage) would have the highest probability for making a single clunk...

I routinely put Zippy (04 EX) up on my deck-over trailer for transport... that "protector" is the only thing I just rub on the way up...
I have put my parts car (07 SC) up on the trailer once, and it dragged quite a bit more (SC sits about 1" lower-ish).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The big snows have stopped for a few weeks and the pile on top of the curb divider has melted away. I finally got a look at what I drove over...and it ain't pretty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts