Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I decided to take my JVC KD-AV7100 into FutureShop for a quick install. I got it back and the DVD - original or burned, have no sound. The radio works fine though?

I also put in another DVD (original) and it said invalid region? What can I do? I bought the unit new, but in Hong Kong, (probably explaining the region).

PLEASE HELP ME!!! Big camping trip this weekend and I wanted to have the DVD for the drive up.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
future shop probably didnt hook up the amp turn on in your truck behind the radio to the amplifier turn on but instead hooked up the power antenna lead from the radio. take it back to them and tell them to hook up the blue/white wire instead of the blue wire comming from the radio, and be sure to tell them i said they are jackasses. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, Il be sure to let them know!!!!

Would that cause all of the issues? why does the radio audio work while the others dont?

Thanks again for the quick response.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
the region thing is probably a matter of that dvd being a different region.

the chances of them having hooked up the power antenna lead from the radio instead of the amp turn on are about 100%. what happens is the power antenna lead gets power when the radio (AM/FM) is on only. the amp turn on gets power whenever any of the sources is on (AM/FM/CD/etc).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great!!!

Future shop is closed now, are you able to describe what needs to be done with a little more detail? I would like to give it a go myself. I took somepics of the install with my phone, i will try to get them uploaded soon.

Also, i noticed that none of the RCA connections were used, is that normal?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some pictures I took of the FutureShop installation.

Please indicate which wire i need to switch, and if i can somehow utilize the rca plugs which are not being used. If I do use them, does the performance change?

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Tell them they hooked it up completely wrong. They hooked speaker-level to the input of the factory amp. If they don't have the Metra harness, they could just splice in some RCA's. Print out this picture as a guide.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
good point. i didnt even think about the sub which they obvousily didnt hook up either if they cant figure out the difference between the antenna and amp turn ons.... this is why car audio in general gets a bad name and people are always saying that "my car sounded better with factory equipment" or "those guys just f'd up my car when they put my radio in"

people like that should just quit their "part time job" or what ever it is they are doing there and focus on thier human psychology or whatever degree they are working towards that relates nothing to being an actuall installer. it's one thing when you are a DIY'er and you admit it. that is where i started MANY years ago, but it is a whole nother when you are working somewhere "respectable" and CHARGING people money for what you do.

Sorry, not directed at you in any way Mike cause i know you just thought you were getting it put in professionally by a shop. It just chaps my bumm whenever i see this being in the industry still... maybe i just need to get a new job.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys,

I am going to head over to futureshop now to talk to them (go figure they're not answering the phone.)

Im sure they will give me some sort of excuse as to why they dont need to put the RCA connections on.

This is a pain in the ass because I prefer to do my own install, this was just to save time and frustration!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OKOK,

So thanks for the diagram and the blue wire mix-up explenation. The guy at futureshop corrected the sound issue with the dvd/cd/aux function, and added a rca cable to the subwoofer. He did not have any metra harnesses and only had the one rca cable that he cut for the sub.

Is it worth it for me to add rca cables to match the diagram? it is something that i am comfortable doing IF it will make a change in sound quality. What are the advantages of using RCA?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Bigal.

I went ahead and spliced in some RCA cables from my old rogers cable boxes. It really wasnt that complicated, while i was at it, I also flipped the single din mount upsidedown so that when it opens, the screen isnt quite so high.

anywho, i noticed a big difference in sound quality (especially in the sub, and sub controls. However, there is an option in the audio setup for 6 Channel something which should open more audio settings but that doesnt work. I thought the RCA's would unlock that feature. Either way, it sounds great,
thanks for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts