Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,
I Love the Element, my wife and I drove it and are most likely going to pick one up (4WD, orange or green) within a few months. Being cheap, the DX is appealing to me. I don't need the abs or Al rims, but would install a stereo and have the dealership put in the AC at a later date. Does anyone have experience with this strategy? Do they even sell DX's? Are they willing to move with prices on the DX because of any lack of interest? Am I setting myself up for problems going about it this way? And one more question: Are there any particular hardships in installing a stereo in this wonderful thing called E?
Thanks for any info you have.
bman

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an EX 2WD auto. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the DX for the following reasons:
1)the stock stereo in the Honda is pretty awesome and has a subwoofer
2)you don't get A/C
3)I think the stock wheels on the DX look like crap
4)If you ever want to sell or trade in the DX down the road, they're going to be less desireable
5)I don't think the price difference between the 2 is that much. I've heard of folks getting EX 2wds for $18500 (I paid 19K). The 4WD EX's are a little more.

I would think dealers would be a little more generous in haggling with the DX's b/c they're not as popular. Ultimately of course the choice is yours. Either model is going to drive awesome. But I would get an EX (and I'm a cheapskate!).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, the DX only comes in Black, Blue, or silver. To get Orange or Green you must go to the EX version.
Happy Hunting! (cruise is only in the EX as well)

·
Registered
24 Posts
bman,

When I visited my dealer, they had only one EX but about 10 DX's. Plus, a lot of the DX's had different features intalled, like A/C or a stereo system, depending on the car. I guess the dealer does this for people who don't want to pay for all the options. I'd advise checking different dealers in your area.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here in Chicago, the dealers can't get rid of the DX's! 2WD for as low as $13,999 and the 4WD for $15,500. For a few thousand dollars more, the EX are the better deal!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think the Ex is the only one with ABS brakes too, not to mention the rear seats are water/stain resistant, like the front seats (but not in the Dx-strange). If you price the options, I think you will pay more for a Dx in the long run.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i agree

·
Registered
97 Posts
ok i admit it. i said that to see if i could jump to a 'regular poster'. yay! 8)

·
Registered
106 Posts
whoa there posters. I see lots of opinions stated like facts, and a bit of questionable math. And I guess not a one of you owns a DX.

I do own a DX(fact). The back seats are waterproof (fact) which should make them stain-resistant to all kinds of things, especially considering they are mostly black and grey (opinion). I can do without the overhead bin and ABS, and while I will replace them, I like the standard wheels (opinions).

Now this is all opinion, conjecture, and my views. If a DX AWD is indeed going for $15,500 and all Bman wants installed is AC, he will pay $17,500. he doesn't want a stereo, alloy wheels, or ABS. how is that worse than the EX AWD, which starts at $20,000?
Bman, I hope your heart wasn't set on seat-back bungees. And, unfortunately, green and orange aren't available.

I love my DX. I wanted a black 5 speed with 2 wheel drive. I wanted air, but no stereo. I have exactly what I wanted. While the EX sound is fine, i wanted more options and better gear for less money. Guys, Honda overprices their equipment. Look in Subs and Sounds, look for eMass's install post. he bought an EX, then (I assume) took out the stereo to put his own vision in.

Bman, do research, find what you really want, then choose what to buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Folks,
I greatly appreciate the input. A lot will depend on the offerings... Hunterbase do you (or anyone else) know what the price for the AC installed in a DX is? Also, what is the Electronic Brake Distribution, and is it only available on the EX? It sounds like something akin to traction control.
bman out[/b]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unless price is a big issues, get the EX. You will be happier in the long run. Cost it out over 4 or 5 years. Not a big difference in payments.

·
Registered
106 Posts
when Elementmaybe said "don't buy a DX unless price is a big issue", i paused, thinking that was rediculous advice, until i remembered that the majority of buyers are well established 50-somethings. Then I could see his point.
But for others, especially those deciding how to get the most (and best) stuff for the least money, price is THE issue. After, of course, deciding that we must have an Element.
So B'man, I just hope I've helped you make an informed decision. For me, AC installed was roughly $2000, sorry I can't remember the exact amount. The AC can be bought online for as little as $826 (retail is $1,165). I perused the Acrobat instructions, and I knew it was nothing I was willing to do my self. Besides, ANYTHING outside of the basest of base Kia's down here in Louisiana comes with AC installed.
And EBD (electronic brake-force distribution) is something that often is bundled with ABS. Toyotas have them too. it just decides which brakes get the heaviest braking to hopefully control skids. And it is only on when the ABS is on. Which with my past cars, is never, unless I was on gravel. Would be handy in snowy places though. And seeing as how it is "in" the abs system, it is only avaliable on the EX's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think the only advantage with the DX would be if you plan on heavily customizing it yourself. If you were going to put in your own stereo, wheels, tires, paint the panels (etc.) then it might make sense (considering that you would be jettisoning most of the standard stuff that comes with the EX anyways). Otherwise I think all the extras you get with the EX make it the better deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. I actually WORK at a Honda dealership on the central coast in CA, so I thought i'd try and clear up a few things and see if i can't help out at all. First off, there is no such thing as an AWD Element. No Honda has ever been AWD for that matter. Technically it's Real-Time 4wd, which is a true 4wd system, but requires no switching knobs or pressing buttons. If you're not using 4wd (ie on dry pavement) then you'll be driving using your 2 front wheels, which is cool since you still get semi-good gas mileage.

Secondly, I forgot who said it but the back seats in a DX are NOT water resistant, unless they were switched from an EX, so whoever told you this was severely pulling your leg and i apologize for their lack of caring. If you would like proof, I would be more than glad to fax you a copy of our Facts Book that details everything you'd want to know, and wouldn't, about the Element.

Last but not least, I'll give you an estimate of what it costs at OUR dealership to put things such as a stereo, A/C etc into the Element, and the prices of the different trim lines.

DX 2WD MSRP+ Destination & Handling: 17,360
DX 4WD " " : ....................................18,760 (1400)
EX 2WD " " : .....................................19,910 (1150)
EX 4WD " " : .....................................21,309 (1400)

that's MSRP for all of them. Some dealers that are selling a whole bunch, have been known to put bumps on these for $5,000 or so up in the bay area in CA. pretty crazy, but you have to remember: dealerships are here to make money. As sad as it seems, they sell them for that price all day long. We usually sell them for MSRP, maybe 1-300 off, but every day is a new day. Anyways, on to after-market stuffs.

Installed Prices

- Air Conditioning: 1513
- AM/FM/CD tuner, 4 speakers: 511 (that's w/ no tweeters and no subwoofer like the EX)
- Driver side armrest: 149
For those 2 major things that's about 2G's, which is pretty substantial. That's only about $500 away from an EX, even w/ out the CD player it's still only 1k away. A thousand bucks can be a pretty big deal if you're paying cash, but when it gets down to payment, that's only 20-25 bucks a month. That's like a pizza and beer. For those 1000 Washingtons, you get the following:

-The ability to get green, orange, or tan paint.
-ABS
-EBD (electronic brake distribution)
-16" alloys (looks totally killer w/ some 18's and low profiles i must say)
-an MP3/digital audio jack
-cruise control (which if you like driving i can't see living without)
-driver side armrest
-waterproof seats on ALL seats
-and the ability to get side air bags (only $250 more yet extremely rare and hard to get, thus making them more stingy on the pricing)
-plus other junk like map lights, storage, loops for bungee thingies etc.

Whether or not this stuff matters to you is obviously up to you, but at least now you've got the FACTS, from someone that does this stuff every day, whether i like it or not :lol: Actually, i enjoy my job quite a bit considering i feel that i'm selling one of the best automobile lines out there. I get crap for being a "car salesman" all the time, but all in all it's fun, and pays the bills.

If you guys have any more questions, or are in my area, email me or give me a call 805-544-9500 ext 622. Really hope this helps man, ciao.

Sean May
Sunset Honda
San Luis Obispo, CA

okay... my fingers are tired =/

·
Registered
227 Posts
Kaze- "Real time 4wd" is Honda marketing speak for "AWD", it is not true 4WD. 4wd, to most 4wd enthusiasts, means that equal power is transferred to front and rear differentials at all times. The honda system drives the front wheels until there is slippage then sends power to the rear, what most manufacturers refer to AWD. I have no complaints, as I bought the car understanding the system and the fact that it is not designed for off road, but for slippery on road conditions, and appreciate the improved MPG.

As to the rear seats, the DX I briefly looked at seemed to have a sort of rubbery/vinyl fabric which would be waterproof/resistant, though the marketing brochure or "Facts Book" won't tell you that, because it is used as a selling point to upsale to the EX model. Maybe a DX owner can chime in on this.

Thank you for the informative post

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a DX and love it! The back seats seem to be made of the same water resistant material that's on the front ones, FYI. Not sure if that's the same on all DXs. I just got them to put in the A/C and they threw in the nicer wheels as a bonus, and voila. I'm very happy with it.

I think it depends on the dealer, what they have in stock, and what they might be willing to throw in to get a DX off the lot as to whether its a better deal than the EX or not.

Of course, as people mentioned here, if you want a green or orange one, you're stuck with the EX.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I guess it was me who has a "lack of caring", Bman, and I'm sorry I "severely pulled your leg". Because that sounds painful.
I have a DX, and I just performed an unscientific experiment on my seats.
I just walked outside and poured water on both my front and back seat. On both seats, the water stayed on the surface. I wiped them both off with a towel after 30 seconds or so, and both seats still had a damp impression of where the water was, but they weren't really wet. after about 30 seconds the damp part of the back seat evaporated away. The front seat took a bit longer to dissapear. Now, the back seat is all covered in that rubber-coated stuff that forms the edges of the front seats. The front seat has that fabric that feels like it has a heavy dousing of a Scotchguard-like chemical.
So for what it's worth, that's how my seats work at repelling water.
Firetruck41, I thought the same thing about the rear seats/fact sheet, and unless you are planning on using one in a pool, should prob be waterproof enough. I wonder if Honda was referring to the bottom of the seats??

By the way, did you ever decide what to buy Bman??

And has anyone gotten the DX and the had the honda stereo installed? Seems like a strange move to me. But that's me. I bought the DX so I could put my own, (in my opinion) higher quality stereo in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts