Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my E has developed it’s first mechanical flaw. I took my Element in for an intermittent (mostly when cold) vibration that had recently developed. The dealership mechanic called back a bit ago and says that the left front axle needs replaced. Something along the lines of a few bolts came loose in the axle, allowing a few part to move around. It is not completly broken yet, but apparently not far from it. This cannot be repaired so the axle must be replaced. Total cost for parts, labor, etc will be around $660 (genuine Honda parts).

Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis and a reasonable cost?

·
Registered
247 Posts
do you have any warrenty left on you'r E,( I think its 36000 mills 3 yrs ) If so it should be coverd. Someone corect me if im rong.
( AWW bh241 beat me to it. LOL )

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunatly I am out of warrently with 43,000 miles on it. According to the dealer, the axel does not fall under the 5yr/60,000 mile powertrain coverage.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I Agree with GaryS, the axle's are part of the drive / powertrain . Go to a diffrent dealer if you can.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
If it's not under warranty, it doesn't have to be done by a Honda dealer ... especially that one. OTOH the OEM axle assembly is about $450 retail ($325 online), and the job entails separating the ball joint from the knuckle and (left side only) draining & replacing the transmission fluid, so $660 isn't out of line.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem Solved. It is covered by the powertrain warranty.

The problem was that for some reason I show in “the system” as only having a 3yr/36,000mi warranty. Apparently “the system” does not indicate my Element has a 5yr/60,000mi powertrain warranty. However I just got off the phone with Honda Corporate who confirmed that ALL 2008 Hondas came with the 5yr/60,000mi powertrain warranty. Honda Corporate also confirmed that the axle is covered by this warranty.

I suspect the Service guy is new and/or confused. He sounded genuinely confused and embarrassed when I explained to him that all 2008 Hondas had the powertrain warranty.

Oh well, looks like my experiment to find a better Honda service dealer is a bust. Back to the other one I am not terribly fond of.

Thanks for all the help EOC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts