Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 SC that I've had for a few months now. I love it, however, my E-brake doesn't hold. I don't have a service manual - can anyone pls tell me how to (tell my husband how to) make adjustment needed to make my brake hold.

Thanks so much

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your car is equipped with rear brake shoes and are subject to wear, thus changing the friction contact point. In essence, you need the rear brakes adjusted, in doing this your E-brake will not pull up all the way and will hold the vehicle as it was designed. Often over looked by people that think they have 4 wheel disc brakes. It is not expensive to have done and will enhance your braking ability greatly.
=======================
Self Cert Re Mortgage
Marco Island Florida waterfront vacation rental house

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The rear brakes on the E are disc but have a E brake drum inside the disk. To adjust the E brake that is if the handle is going all the way up and the brake is not holding is to remove the cover over the handle. There you will find a 12MM nut and you can tighten it to where the handle will stop about halfway up. You don't want to get it too tight as the little E brake shoes will burn off. If the handle is not coming all the way up and it is still rolling then you will have to get the E brakes repaired, replaced. Both of you need to fill out your profile so we can help you better.:)

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
The Element's parking brake is a drum type with separate shoes inside the disc/drum assembly. It is not an "emergency brake". If you use it as such, you will rapidly wear out the shoes. The good news is that after removing the caliper and disc/drum it is a very conventional design and simple to repair.

Minor adjustment is done by removing the center console and tightening the hand brake cable equalizer nut so it is tight with the hand lever pulled up one click.

Major adjustment is done by removing the access plug in the face of the disc/drum and using a flat tip screwdriver to turn the racket teeth on the adjuster assembly; if this is needed it's likely time for new parking brake shoes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for all the help.
And thanks for prompting me to complete profile - I thought I had done that - got it done now.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Resurrecting this one- SC parking brake adj of handle is different due to console

Hoping other SC owners chime in. The adjustment nut on the handle is buried due to SC having a different console. I tried to get to it and started with an intricate console and trim removal process to try to get to it. Is this he only way to get to the nut? I did not get it all apart as it was seeming to be too much work/ must be missing something ...

I did put new shoes on ... Maybe just adjust the stars? I want the pull to be in spec- right now it's still more than 8-10 clicks and does not feel as secure as it should be with all new E- brake hardware. Should I just mess with the star adjusters or is there a secret to "easy" access to the nut on the lever/ handle?

Thx all!
JC

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,832 Posts
The shoe to drum clearance needs to be set first.

I have adjusted mine 2X since new and never the cables, 5 clicks and it's tight.

Pull the wheel off, and there is a rubber plug over the adjustment hole to rotate the star wheel. This is not rocket science.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A new response to an old post, but hopefully helpful to those down the road.

If you slide the driver side seat forward, you will see a small plastic trim piece on the rear driver-side console, near the floor. It's an access to get a ratchet/extension/hex 12mm.

I had already removed the cupholder, front and back trim which allowed viewing access down into the depths of the handbrake, enough to be able to see the nut on the ebrake cable.

In the SC Honda recommends 8-10 clicks for the adjustment.

I was able to tighten it up a bit for the adjustment needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts