Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Best camping trip I've had in quite a long time. Red River Gorge is quite beautiful, but be prepared to witness what humans can do. There is plenty of trashed out campsites & other general irresponsible treatment of the land to be found. When you get off the beaten path, however, simply beautiful. High sandstone cliffs, cool crisp streams.

Bug screens:
back - Mosquito net made for a cot
sides - Infant stroller mosquito netting (giant hair-nets)

I looked at the Skreenz & just couldn't get myself to spend that much. These nets cost me a total of $40 & kept the bugs out just as well, plus I had access to the tailgate, while still remaining bug-free.

Bed: Full-size Coleman air mattress

I took the nylon straps that came with the roof rack kit, &, using the caribiner from the seats, rig lines going from the back passenger 'oh-****' handle to the seat-belt post - perfect spot to hang small items & keep them out of the way & organized.

The camp got tested, as well. No sooner did it get set up, a rain storm rolled in & showered us for about an hour. Just enough time to test it out & to perhaps dissuade some folks from heading into the gorge.

Shoes - Vibram's Five-Fingers - odd, yet completely awesome!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I was just suggesting to Jojo that the Gorge is a great place to set up camp when she cruises through. You look like you were comfy in that set up.

My brother in law bought those shoes two years ago when we all met up in Estes Park CO. He had a lot of stares as he walked down the street. He said they took a bit of work to put on but were extremely comfy. I have been very tempted to get a pair for my next set of water shoes.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Wow, a suggestion WITH pictures, might look into that:rolleyes:
RR Gorge is a great place - 1st camping trip me and the wife took back long ago when we were dating..........

Blowing Rock NC is also a great place

·
Registered
599 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have been planning on getting a pair when I have the extra cash for some. I need to look into a local dealer. They are the kind of shoe that is not made for every foot.

I prefer to run barefoot and can't find a pair of shoes that is comfortable for me. I have always thought about the old Dunlop adds that had the runner with tire treads on the soles of his feet. I thought if I could just glue some tread on my feet I would be all set to protect against the pebbles on the roads.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New Shoes on my E!!!

I figured I'd just reply on this thread & keep it in the same spot -

I finally ditched the stock rubber & put on a set of Fuzion XTI (made by Bridgestone). Moved up sizes into 235/70R15 - they just fit without rubbing - very close.

Attachments

·
Banned
43 Posts
I have those shoes, and they are awesome. Got them in '06 for hiking the Narrows in Zion, and have beaten the heck out of them since.

I'm a shoe 'prostitute', but these things are absolutely MUST HAVES for anyone who likes to get dirty, wet, or both.

Try a pair on, and you'll buy them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts