Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Interesting place for your mic placement. I have mine on the roof beside the rear view. Mine seems far away (I'm tall and have the seat back) so I will look at your way and see if that works.

Berz out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Re-clear coated Headlight

My passenger headlight was looking bad so I decided to re-clear it 2 weeks ago since polishing it didn't do much. Here's how the headlight looked before I started.

This is after wetsanding it with 400 then 800 grit. I think starting with 600 might be better since I can see some deep scratches in some angles that might be from the 400 grit or simply not using enough water when I used it.

This was after 1000 then 2000 grit.

Here it is after 3 light coats then 1 heavier coat of Duplicolor Perfect match Clear Coat. I've had great experiences with their automotive paints for a long time so I wanted to try their clear coat for this. Notice the slight orange peal finish.

I waited 2 days before wet-sanding the orange peel using 2000 grit, then used Turtle Wax polish then 3M Cleaner Wax (thats what I had). Here's the finished product as of 2 days ago. I also polished then waxed the driver side headlight, which did well enough, but I plan to wait a while before doing that one too. Boredom could change that plan. I'm very satisfied with the end result thus far.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Interesting place for your mic placement. I have mine on the roof beside the rear view. Mine seems far away (I'm tall and have the seat back) so I will look at your way and see if that works.
Whomever I call can hear me clearly so the spot was a great choice. My only issue has been that callers hear themselves repeated which I've identified as microphone sensitivity when passed a certain volume. I've rigged it for the meantime to reduce the feedback and may get an Alpine microphone in place of this Sony one being that I've never had such as issue with my previous Alpine Bluetooth head-units.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
OEM Side Steps!

I managed to find some OEM '03-'04 side steps for sale online so I pulled the trigger being that they're not easy to come by what with the mount arm lengths becoming longer in '05.

Unfortunately, when they arrived I noticed some damage. I thoroughly cleaned everything to ensure all damage was clearly visible. Here's a side-by-side comparison of the center mount arms, which are suppose to be shaped the same.

Here are the front mount extended brackets, clearly broken.

I had the broken center bracket repaired for the sake of sturdiness and stability...

... and had new brackets made of a thicker gauge aluminum.

Everything came together well and mounted up just fine.

I'm very happy with it all. I use the side steps to get in at a higher angle and drop my butt right into the seat instead of sitting on the edge then twisting into forward position, which is what I feel leads to the typical worn area of the driver's seat. They also make it easier to enter the rear passenger area and reaching the roof for cleaning, in my case. I like sitting with the doors open and my feet resting on them. It also lowers the visual profile of the vehicle while hiding the eye sore of the gas tank cage. Being that they're all made of aluminum, the side steps only add roughly 24 lbs of weight.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks great! You have made a lot of good improvements to a car that was already in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
UPDATE: Wheels

Well, Photobucket.com's recent change derailed my occasional pic update habits, so here's a worthwhile post.

I've added '05-'06 Nissan Altima SE-R 18"x8" forged aluminum wheels (made by Alcoa) with a +40 offset (OEM is +45) on used 225-60R18 Dunlop Grandtrek tires. This set-up surprisingly weighs exactly the same as the OEM set-up yet sits .4" wider and .7" taller than stock (215-70R16) which may improve fuel efficient by 1-2 MPG depending on speed traveled, and wheel design wind drag and such.

I think this wheel style suits the Element design lines incredibly well, and the tire size & offset look and fit nicely in the wheel wells with absolutely no rubbing issues. The previous owner did a poor PlastiDip job on them, so there's some leftover remnants in the crevices. More progress to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I came across a goldmine find in a '03 Element being parted out and acquired OEM roof rails, mudflaps ('03-'04 specific), spoiler and the elusive rugged style front bumper trim.

I prepped and refurbished the roof rails (oxidation & chipping) and cover (drill holes) and painted them in the same previously used DupliColor Rocker Guard paint (black & clear). Unfortunately, I mistakenly added too msny coats on the cover and the end result is too thick and coarse, but I plan to soon sand it smooth then re-coat it properly.

All in all, I'm still thrilled with the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
A Few Updates

This is the "before" pic of that gold mine of parts: roof rack, mudflaps, spoiler, and and the uncommon front bumper trim cover.

Here are all the parts I painted in the DupliColor Rocker Guard textured paint along with the black plasti-dipped grille H emblem.

Here's the Polk Audio tweeter project I did in September, custom mounted into the stock tweeter area. I used Stinger A3.3 Tweeter Capacitor Crossovers.

I also installed NVX deadener on all 4 doors, both on the exterior door sheeting and the inner panel. It tightened up the sound and solidified the doors very nicely. I noticed that the speaker sound really echoed through the door prior to adding the sound matting, which is no longer the case.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Nah. I got it all for $100, which is a great deal for all that.

My headlights were much worse than those in the video. I could probably clear them up further if I had a buffer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The latest completed project: powder-coated wheels and muffler tip. The gunmetal color is called Argento by Tiger Powders. It's double clear-coated and supposedly very durable.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts