Honda Element Owners Club banner
281 - 300 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I vote for Darth Raider being the very first Element featured as EOTM. This ride is beautiful and tastefully done. Chief has put forth a lot of care, energy, imagination and coin into this vehicle. It is truly a work of art and I'm glad I was able to watch this work in progress, go through it's process of metamorphisis. He has given me something to shoot for and that's for sure.I say lets get this party started and get the EOTM going.Peace!

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I vote for Darth Raider being the very first Element featured as EOTM. This ride is beautiful and tastefully done. Chief has put forth a lot of care, energy, imagination and coin into this vehicle. It is truly a work of art and I'm glad I was able to watch this work in progress, go through it's process of metamorphisis. He has given me something to shoot for and that's for sure.I say lets get this party started and get the EOTM going.Peace!
Ehhhhhhh, it's OK... :razz:

I second getting EOTM started back up and I second Darth R..... for EOTM.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I second Darth Raider for the first E of the month. He has not come out yet, but I have had the privilege to get a couple of sneak pix, - and I can only admire the style and effort that has been put into this E.
Tomorrow We should see the grand entrance at the NHRA museum in Pomona. I am sure he is a show stopper. Chief doesn't monkey around! All his rides are unfreakingly believably clean!!! He's got a one of a kind K-car, - I never knew there was such a thing. No matter what you might think of ks, this one is one sweet dressed up queen!!!

Darth Raider it shall be!!!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yes - Yes - Yes - please start up E of the month again (or of the quarter if the person doing this is busy)
I too think Darth Raider should be selected!

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Element Of The Month!!!

I was fortunate enough to have a one on one chat with Larry (spdrcr5) at the Honda US Open of Surfing last weekend. ( "T Mac's Big SoCal E-Vent" ) He honestly laid out all the problems that they had experienced with the "Element of the Month" program when they quit doing it back in 2006.

From what I learned from Larry it all boiled down to a lot of laziness and lack of commitment on the members part. There was an actual form and check list that had to be completed, that just didn't happen a lot of times. No cell phone pictures were accepted, yet members tried to use those for submission. The backgrounds for the pictures was very specific...if your Element is more the outdoors type, or Camper style, then have a beautiful lake, or desert, or mountain, or beach background, etc. If your Element is more Tuner style then you have many cool urban settings, or a lake, a park, or whatever fits that particular genre.

What they were actually receiving were rides parked in drive ways, with junky garages in the background, or parked out in front of the house, with even other cars in the picture!

There was suppose to be at least a four month supply of EOTM pix at all times, so that they could choose one every month, to be the one for that month. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, they were lucky to get even one who bothered to meet the requirements, and it probably wound up being more like the Element of the Quarter! It just basically got to the point where it was more of a hassle to do it, than to just drop it.

So, basically I can't ever see the Element of the Month coming back unless there is going to be a hell of lot more member participation. It is obviously a great undertaking for this to happen, so there has to be rules and guidelines to ensure the success of an EOTM program.

Tom and Larry do not have the time, nor the inclination to make this happen again if the results are going to be the same. The true definition of the word insanity is...'doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result!'

So, if and when, they do decide to do this again, let's all show our appreciation and our 100% cooperation!!! ;-)

Chief

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have a one on one chat with Larry (spdrcr5) at the Honda US Open of Surfing last weekend. ( "T Mac's Big SoCal E-Vent" ) He honestly laid out all the problems that they had experienced with the "Element of the Month" program when they quit doing it back in 2006.

From what I learned from Larry it all boiled down to a lot of laziness and lack of commitment on the members part. There is and actual form and check list that had to be completed that just didn't happen a lot of times. No cell phone pictures were accepted, yet members tried to use those for submission. The backgrounds for the pictures was very specific...if your Element is more the outdoors type, or Camper style, then have a beautiful lake, or desert, or mountain, or beach background. If your Element is more Tuner style then you have many cool urban settings, or a lake, a park, etc.

What they were receiving were rides parked in drive ways, with junky garages, or parked out in front of the house, with even other cars in the picture!

There was suppose to be at least a four month supply of EOTM pix at all times, so that they could choose one every month, to be the one for that month. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, they were lucky to get even one who bothered to meet the requirements, and it probably wound up being more like the Element of the Quarter! It just basically got to the point where it was more of a hassle to do it, than to just drop it.

So, basically I can't see the Element of the Month coming back unless there is going to be a hell of lot more member participation. It is obviously a great undertaking for this to happen, so there has to be rules and guidelines to ensure the success of an EOTM program.

Tom and Larry do not have the time, nor the inclination to make this happen again if the results are going to be the same. The true definition of the word insanity is...'doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result!'

So, if and when, they do decide to do this again, let's all show our appreciation and our 100% cooperation!!! ;-)

Chief
WOW IM glad I didn't vote :-o LOL (whats up Chief) beautiful day in Cali:)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
From what I learned from Larry it all boiled down to a lot of laziness and lack of commitment on the members part.

Chief[/COLOR][/FONT]
Say what?.....

·
Mod-erator
4,572 Posts
I would have to agree with Chief's statement....just go back thru this thread and look at some of the pics submitted. Driveway pics just don't cut it.......Not a good representation of the EOTM award IMO. They're fine for other pic submissions but not for EOTM.

The pictures submitted should really showcase what the E is all about and what it represents. It should also reflect your own tastes and style....with an appropriate background to match that style. EOTM is not just a "here's a pic of my ride type of thing"....the quality of pic should be to where it could go in a car calendar or on our EOC front page.....(magazine worthy!)....this doesn't mean you have to go out and buy a $1000 camera or be a professional photographer. Your standard 4mp camera and up should suffice. It's all about the lighting, background and "mood" that the picture brings to the table.

What we're saying is put some thought into it any try to be creative :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
uh yeah what she said? you wana come take my picture for me, i dont know sqaut about photo. this isnt a art gallery it is EOC and if the upload size wasnt so picky in size there would be better pictures, i get tired of have to down size evey picture i have just for the EOC, they work for all other sites. so want good pictures, lets us upload bigger and detter ones.i think my phone has a 4 megapixels but that is about as smallest as i got, and it isnt that great.

oh and what does darth vader's ride looks like again, i never can come across his pics, just a page long blog. just curious what it looks like.

i think the avators should be pictures of your ride that is just my own opinion

·
Mod-erator
4,572 Posts
Picture size has nothing to do with picture quality. A large pic of a ride in a driveway with the garbage can in the background is still crappy submission for EOTM. We're simply talking about putting some time and thought into a pic for EOTM....instead of snapping somthing that looks lazy. If you knew how much bandwidth cost you'd understand why we can only submit 640x480 pics....you can also link to sites like flicker or something similar if you want people to see your pics in larger size....or build your own webpage. Also if I'm not mistaken...cardomain only lets you submit pics at a certain size too don't they?

If you're phone has a 4mp camera in it, it must be a very expensive one, as only a few phones have camera's in them at that quality....and most aren't even here in the states...only in europe and japan.

Submissions also would not be by you posting it on the thread...it would be thru email where you can attach as large of a file as you'd want to (within reason)....then it would be looked over and voted on and then posted to the proper thread by the person in charge of EOTM.

If you haven't seen pics of Darth Raiders ride...a "simple" search will bring it right up...... it's the one marked "Darth Raider".;-) You can also browse thru the Image Gallery forum and find it pretty quickly.

·
EOC Founder, Admin
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
uh yeah what she said? you wana come take my picture for me, i dont know sqaut about photo. this isnt a art gallery it is EOC and if the upload size wasnt so picky in size there would be better pictures, i get tired of have to down size evey picture i have just for the EOC, they work for all other sites. so want good pictures, lets us upload bigger and detter ones.i think my phone has a 4 megapixels but that is about as smallest as i got, and it isnt that great.
The forum limits photo size to keep this forum free. You can always use a free photo gallery site (like most do) and post your photos here from there. It is quite common.

I had somebody at the SoCal meet ask me why we don't support 1024x768 image uploads. Seriously guys...I have about 50,000 registered members among all of my free sites. Some of the members upload photos of their pets, their families, even their back yards. That stuff adds up not only hosting space but also bandwidth. That's why there are limitations. Maybe someday I'll offer options to those who want to pay and become premium members. Unfortunately, it would be a lot of work to set up to only have a few participate.

Related to this thread...if you guys want to get EOTM going again, Dance can coordinate it for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
The forum limits photo size to keep this forum free. You can always use a free photo gallery site (like most do) and post your photos here from there. It is quite common.

I had somebody at the SoCal meet ask me why we don't support 1024x768 image uploads. Seriously guys...I have about 50,000 registered members among all of my free sites. Some of the members upload photos of their pets, their families, even their back yards. That stuff adds up not only hosting space but also bandwidth. That's why there are limitations. Maybe someday I'll offer options to those who want to pay and become premium members. Unfortunately, it would be a lot of work to set up to only have a few participate.

Related to this thread...if you guys want to get EOTM going again, Dance can coordinate it for a while.
T Mac...Thanks for the explanation, that will probably answer a lot of questions up front. I personally that think Dance is a great choice to undertake the EOTM effort. He possesses an immense appreciation of all types of Elements and he ready has readily contributed on the DIY side of the fence also. Of course, he's going to come face to face with the same challenges that you and Larry encountered, but I really think he's up to the task. He has a great sense of urgency, and basically wants to get this thing done! Who knows, we just might see that calender yet! ;-) :razz:

Chief

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Bear in mind that even if there's a sudden surge in participation—with high-quality pics—it will still take time to accumulate a good nominee pool.
Dan...That is precisely my point, when I noted that Scott will have to face the same mountains and base camps, that Larry and Tom had to deal with, in order to reach the summit. There will always be the pre-qualifiers, to get to the qualified, let alone getting to the finalist, and then the actual EOTM! So all I can say is..."Good luck Dance!!!"

Chief

·
Registered
284 Posts
So here is an idea. Why not make it an "Element of the Quarter" deal. Why do it this way? Simple for the following reasons.

1. This allows a longer submission time. Thus giving you a larger picture pool from which to select from.

2. Allows the E owner or person nominating them to obtain that "perfect" photo.

3. Gives the Moderator or Judging panel more time to weigh a decision.

4. Not as time comsuming for those putting it all together. 30 days can go by quickly. This is to be fun and should not become a full time job for the people running it.

Now its just an idea. Maybe by limiting it to only 4 E's a year and follow it up with voting by the members before the Annual Meet. This allows for a final E OF THE YEAR award at the meet. Eh....just my idle ramblings.

·
Mod-erator
4,572 Posts
Yes that idea has been thrown out there before and is a strong consideration and at first might be the way to go to get the project off the ground :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I always come up with the ideas after someone else. That just plain sucks!:-(

·
Mod-erator
4,572 Posts
625 - it's still a good point to be brought up again as I kind of forgot about it at the moment.

Dochate - there are no submissions being taken at this time.

281 - 300 of 338 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.