Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there try to pack everything inside the element when moving to another apartment?

I'm wondering what's the most people have packed into the Element.

Will a queen sized box spring fit in the back if I remove the back seats? How about the queen sized pillow topped mattress itself? Any words of wisdom? I'm assuming it won't fit. But before I even measured, I thought I would come to you!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I don't think queen sized would fit inside but how far are you going? The big flat roof will hold a lot of royalty. Even if you fold the mattress enough to stick tin the rear doors, the back end is just long enough for a twin if the seats are all the way forward. You'll still be sticking out the back.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
You know? For a nice soft mattress, I think we can forgo the need for a rack. Just make sure it's tied down well so the wind doesn't send your cloud sleeper to its parents.

·
Registered
65 Posts
we transported a king size mattress on the roof rack, so I'm sure a queen would work. you will need to drive *very* slowly though, in order to not achieve lift off. =)

I brought home a full size sofa in my E. saved me $120 delivery fee. of course I had to drive slowly with my knees up around my chin, but hey, for $120 I was happy to do it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have actually stuffed a queen size mattress in the E, and I do mean stuffed :D I did a lame job of securing it to the roof and it blew off on the drive home in the middle of a main street, luckily no one was behind me:lol: My roomie and I got out and stuffed that bad boy in there. The rear couldn't close because a foot or 2 of mattress was on the tailgate. A box spring is another story, that's got to go on the roof (no squishability hehehe)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I actually had to do this about a week ago... a queen size set does NOT fit inside. We had to use ratchet straps and put it on the roof.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, it's not going to fit. I just moved my sister in law. I have a Yakima rack--took that off, put the mattress down, then each of the two box-springs (it was a split box-spring) on top. Opened all four doors, put three ratchet straps around the bed--one at the front, one at the back, one in the middle. Worked fine, even on the highway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all first post! Whats the best way to secure a queen bed and box spring to the roof? I have a factory roof rack (rating says 75lbs max load), 4 15 ft rachet straps and a front rear set of 18ft bow and stern straps.

I'm going to be going about 45 miles on the highway presumably driving at slower than blazing speeds (55 max?)

Should I loop the rachet straps around the rack or run them through the door frame? I would like to use the bow and sterns to keep the front from lifting from the wind at high speeds, but I'm a newbie to racks and am not familiar with the mechanics of the whole shebang? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went to IKEA and bought some couches. I fit the 2 seater inside, the one seater on the tailgate and threw the 3 wearer on the roof. Thankfully I only live 5 minutes away.

·
Registered
836 Posts
i folded a queen mattress in half and got it in the E, to a bit of leaning to convince the mattress it was indeed going into my E. front passenger seat had to be all the way up but i was the only person in the E so it was all good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Soooo, I got a the queen mattress and box-spring secured to the E and drove it 50 miles on the freeway this weekend at a max of 65 avg of 55-60. I love this car so far (had it for 3 weeks)!!! :grin:

The way I did it was to put the mattress on the roof first and then the box spring on top. I ran 3 15' racheting straps through the door frames spacing them out evenly and tightened them up. Then I ran one 16' bow and stern strap through the 2 front tow hooks and one through the rear towhook. I ran a 4th 15' racheting strap vertically along the length of the car on top of the box spring and racheted the 2 bow and sterns together.

It worked excellent with no lifting or shifting or movement the entire trip. I'll post pics when I get back tonight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts