Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Is is worth getting the security system ? I've already got the key-less entry. My dealer is charging me $300 for the security and a custom shop dude wants $249 for it installed. Do I really need one ?

Thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
That would really depend on you.

Here in NYC, they give you an insurance discount for having it. No one pays attention to it when it goes off, but the insurance savings was worth it to me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got my security system online for 189 (genuine Honda parts). Dealer sys the'll install for about $75. The piece of mind (and insurance deduction) are why I'm going to install it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
:?: How exactly does the security system work? I have keyless remote on mine and it honks after clicking twice. Does that mean I have security installed or is it nothing more than a honk?

(I understand there is factory installed theft deterrent system with ignition and radio.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
[quote:ce2a337a9f="droidian"]:?: How exactly does the security system work? I have keyless remote on mine and it honks after clicking twice. Does that mean I have security installed or is it nothing more than a honk?

(I understand there is factory installed theft deterrent system with ignition and radio.)[/quote:ce2a337a9f]

I'd like to hear more about the optional security system too!

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you have keyless only and it honks, it means all the doors are locked.

If you have a security system, you have 1 red flashing LED light to tell thefts you have a alarm system. A microphone near the car shifter to let you know someone broke a window.

I got the alarm system working in tamdum with the anti theft deterrant so i have a peace of mind when i park in the streets. Also my insurance was less :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my security system for $140 from cheaphondaparts.com. And it took me less than one hour to install it. It gives me a little more security and lowers my insurance. $140 isn't too much, right?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I got mine fromthe dealer they charge me $549.00 for key less entry and alarm including installation. securtiy system is really good. makes me feel better. i think its worth buying one. :-D

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think the honk on the Keyless is for 2 reasons. Maybe one but it comes in handy for 2. First, if you are walking away from the car and want to make sure that the car locked, click the lock button twice and the car will honk. If a door is ajar the car won't lock. So, by clicking twice, you can make sure, say from a distance, that it did lock.

The second is if you are walking out in a parking lot and you think you know where your car is. But, you don't see it because there might be a van in front of it or something. If you are in range of it but can't find it, click the button twice and it will honk to tell you where it is.

I guess there might be a third benefit of it. A bluff. If you are parking and there are others around. Clicking it twice gives the illusion that you armed the car's alarm.

The honk from the keyless, though, has no relation to a security system.

The factory installed security features are the anti-theft radio that requires a pass-code to activate when it has been disconnected from power, or if the power, say from the battery, has been interrupted.

The second security feature, standard on the car is the chip inside the ignition key. Without a properly programmed key, the car won't start.

There is a third feature on the EX models or any Element with the Keyless Entry installed. EX has Keyless standard. That is Panic. The red bar on the transmitter. I have never hit it but I know people who have similar entry transmitters. My understanding is that if you hit that button, say if being attacked in a parking lot, the horn will honk repeatedly to draw attention to you and/or your car. I am not sure if lights flash in this instance but they might.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Element said:
A microphone near the car shifter to let you know someone broke a window.
I don't know about you, but I don't think i'd need a microphone to let me know that my window is broken! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
wmas1960 said:
There is a third feature on the EX models or any Element with the Keyless Entry installed. EX has Keyless standard. That is Panic. The red bar on the transmitter. I have never hit it but I know people who have similar entry transmitters. My understanding is that if you hit that button, say if being attacked in a parking lot, the horn will honk repeatedly to draw attention to you and/or your car. I am not sure if lights flash in this instance but they might.
I've never hit the panic on my keyless, but I do know for a fact that it works. While signing off on all the paperwork to buy the E, the detail shop parked it right outside the dealers door. Our salesmans desk over looked the parking lot, and thus the new E. A lady and her teenage daughter started looking at the car, and the salesman grabbed the remote and held down the panic button. The lady and her daughter found another car to look at!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I got mine for like $60 off ebay. It's cake to install. I did both the keyless and alarm myself. It's all plug and play. The mic is the hardest part. You have to drill but have to be carefull. I like it. I had a full alarm on my old Civic. The Element alarm, others probably already said this but it doesn't have a shock sensor. It has the mic which detects breaking glass and then it also senses if a door is opened by the power drain on the battery. Personally I don't really need the shock sensor cuz these days where ever you're parked you hear a car alarm go off and it's typically a soccer mom who doesn't know what she is doing. I pay no attention. I'm mainly worried about people stealing stuff out of the E. And that's exactly what the oem system is for.
L.

·
Registered
6 Posts
does ne1 know of a car alarm system that ISNT made by honda tat would work really well in an E? the cops at my college were telling us that hondas are in general the easiest to break into :-x . Ive got the factory one on mine but i want something more. got ne suggestions? :confused:

·
Registered
288 Posts
More questions re: security system

I opted to have the security system installed (our Accord has been broken into in our driveway twice in the past three years - no alarm). My questions are:

1) The dealer gave me the sticker to put on rather than them doing it. I can't pick a good location for it - my windows already have two other Honda stickers on them. It seemed like it would be cluttered if I added the security one!

If your dealer installed yours, where did they put them? Did it make your window look cluttered or obscure vision?

2) I have to admit that I am just a tad confused over the system - no extra bells or whistles on the keychain, still honks twice like it did prior to having it installed. Is the only difference the LED on my steering column?

The system owners manual didn't make much sense to me when I read it. It is VERY possible I just need to re-read it again when I am more focused... I suppose what I am asking is: should I be noticing anything else being different post installation?

Thanks!

Really, I am not normally this dense.

·
Registered
176 Posts
is it a KARR sticker? if so then you also have shock sensors. and the keyless entry was exactly that...just keyless entry. with the alarm when someone opens the door while armed, it senses the surge of electricity and sounds the alarm horn.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The sticker is just "Equipped with HONDA Theft Deterrent System" - letters are black which is why placing it on the windows is a problem - it won't show up on most of the tinted ones.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: More questions re: security system

E-vilqueen said:
I opted to have the security system installed (our Accord has been broken into in our driveway twice in the past three years - no alarm). My questions are:

1) The dealer gave me the sticker to put on rather than them doing it. I can't pick a good location for it - my windows already have two other Honda stickers on them. It seemed like it would be cluttered if I added the security one!

If your dealer installed yours, where did they put them? Did it make your window look cluttered or obscure vision?

2) I have to admit that I am just a tad confused over the system - no extra bells or whistles on the keychain, still honks twice like it did prior to having it installed. Is the only difference the LED on my steering column?

The system owners manual didn't make much sense to me when I read it. It is VERY possible I just need to re-read it again when I am more focused... I suppose what I am asking is: should I be noticing anything else being different post installation?

Thanks!

Really, I am not normally this dense.

Besides the light and mic you will not notice anything different with the Honda Alarm installed. If you have it set to auto arm, let it set and open the door. In about 20-30 seconds your horn will go off. I opted not to install the stickers. The light signifies the alarm. The stickers tell the criminal which system you have so they can disable it faster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts