Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Element Tent #2

While the first one was not much more than a fitted bug net. Version 2 has a waterproof shell with vented top, two-way zippers, and solar power lights for at night. I haven't even slept in it yet and I already know things that the next one will have. But this weekend I was up in the Tonto National Forest in northern AZ and was able to get some cool pictures of it with a simple set up.

Does anyone else use a car tent? What do you use? What do think yours or mine is missing?

looking to gain some incite from all of the knowledgable folks here!

Thanks and Happy camping!

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha thanks! Once I have the whole design flushed out I'll be making more and totally open to selling them if people are interested.

·
Registered
145 Posts
not sure if you knew about this handy little hack for open back door windows with bug protection.

these fit over the outside of the rear doors, and work perfectly.

keep the windows open, and keep the bugs out!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I hadn't seen that I made my own window coverings for the front and back. I don't have the font one on in these pictures but for the rear windows, I never take them off and they are great.

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
Looks good. Potentially easier to set up than the OEM Honda Cabana. Creative engineering. By the way, any updates from your ten thousand mile trip last June?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is awesome!

Great job! looks like one you would hope to find in an store for camping supplies. I could see it being perfect for those parties you have too much fun and should not drive home afterwards. I have the big Honda tent that you can connect to back of the car and disconnect for traveling away from campsite. We put the air mattress in the car and had the rest of the tent for chairs and tables.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks! It is actually super easy to set up and takes no more than 2 minutes once you've done it once before. And for those speedy getaways, you can actually close the back hatch with it sill on, it does obstruct the rear view thought.

As to that trip, I totally forgot about that post almost right after the trip was over and never ended doing anything with the hundreds of photos I took. I'll have to go back and revisit those. But that trip overall was a success, first big trips are always harder than exspected. Since then I have circled the country twice but haven't made too many improvements on my original system. The bed frame for that trip has actually been functioning as my everyday bed for over a year now ha. (it might be time to invest in a real matteress) As to pretty pictures I was just spent the weekend in Tonto national forest and took these: https://goo.gl/photos/Bnf2A1BeraZXMfY77

I have so many pictures of me and my E all over the country I'll have to spend a weekend getting them all up here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could see it being perfect for those parties you have too much fun and should not drive home afterwards.
Ha exactly! This one has actually rolls up to fit in a 8"x10" stuff sack and has lived under my seat for almost a month now just in case the need arose. How do you like the large car tent? Do you like having the larger inclosed space?

I really love sleeping in the back and being able to see everything around me that was always my main concern with all the car/suv tents I had seen. They never seemed to offer any good viewing opportunities, then again most standard tents aren't concerned about that either.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do you like the large car tent? Do you like having the larger inclosed space?
I really liked all the additional enclosed space. it really is a room, being about 10' x 10' and room for standing upright for changing clothes and such. it was a nice size private quarters on a school trip without the element, too. I had a full size tall air mattress, a table and two chairs in there. i really nee to use it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Element Tent #2

While the first one was not much more than a fitted bug net. Version 2 has a waterproof shell with vented top, two-way zippers, and solar power lights for at night. I haven't even slept in it yet and I already know things that the next one will have. But this weekend I was up in the Tonto National Forest in northern AZ and was able to get some cool pictures of it with a simple set up.

Does anyone else use a car tent? What do you use? What do think yours or mine is missing?

looking to gain some incite from all of the knowledgable folks here!

Thanks and Happy camping!
this is exactly what i'm looking for. i'm too tall to sleep inside without the hatch open. gimme gimme gimme

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Twitchy411, that is one nice design. You mention water resistant walls -- have you any plan for similar (maybe drop-down) covers for the bug screen areas in case of rain heavy enough to require "closing the windows"?

Thanks for sharing your idea!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Element Tent #2

Twitchy, that looks very sharp. Much more stylish than the stock Honda Cabana. I might be interested in one once you start making them.

I'm wondering -- have you thought about some kind of tent/cabana that goes over the skylight? So you can stand up through it and change / look around with more privacy? Or something that fits on the roof, that you access through the skylight?

This would be in addition to your current design, which is obviously great.

·
Registered
206 Posts
not sure if you knew about this handy little hack for open back door windows with bug protection.

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-9915-Infants-Mosquito-Net/dp/B0000DZV0O?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 these fit over the outside of the rear doors, and work perfectly.

keep the windows open, and keep the bugs out!

Would these also fit over the front doors? The front windows would provide a lot more ventilation, and these are a lot cheaper than the Screenz products.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
That looks like the best car tent EVER! Please let us know if you do start making these to sell... I have a 2006 also, Rallye Red so no stealth camping for me, lol. I'm about to make my NoSeeum net covers for my front Windows. Cheers and happy camping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.