Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, found myself parked next to a toyota FJ this afternoon and couldnt resist takin some pics! its amazing how similar their dimensions are! i think the E stacks up real nice! whaddya you think? g-man 2003 SSM 4WD EX BFG All Terrains.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
It must be nice having a full size spare, but the rear-mounted spare is UGLY :mad: Just my 0.02 cents... :rolleyes: otherwise, really cool pics :)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I'm amazed all you guys that take pictures of other people's cars don't get beat up more. The difference between the E and the FJ is about $20k and some serious offroad capabilities. But realistically, the FJ is just another suburban mom totin', high priced poser mobile.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Fj

45stang said:
hey all, found myself parked next to a toyota FJ this afternoon and couldnt resist takin some pics! its amazing how similar their dimensions are! i think the E stacks up real nice! whaddya you think? g-man 2003 SSM 4WD EX BFG All Terrains.
Nice side by sides....OK the E wins again....:evil: Toyota is cool but not HONDA cool...:cool:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guys, thanx for the replies! while i acknowledge the FJ's awesome off road capabilities, for my money i'll pocket the $20k difference as well as the E's gas mileage advantage and overall versatility (i picked up a 6 ft steel filing cabinet the other day) anyday! -gman.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>The difference between the E and the FJ is about $20k

Watch out - some of what Dan said was tongue-in-cheek. He does that. An FJ with 4x4 and options goes for about $25K. But, then, maybe Dan knows where you can get a new E for $5000.

Even Edmunds (edmunds.com) puts the E in the "suggested comparisons" if you research the FJ. However, the FJ is really aimed at the Xterra - with truck chassis, true off-roading, heavy, and serious towing (5000#). That comes at a cost in mpg (16/21), but that's not too bad for that class.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
MikeQBF said:
Watch out - some of what Dan said was tongue-in-cheek. He does that.
Moi?

MikeQBF said:
An FJ with 4x4 and options goes for about $25K. But, then, maybe Dan knows where you can get a new E for $5000.
Ok Mike, you humbled me again. I assumed and never really looked to see how much they cost. They are actually reasonable, compared to other stuff that size, but damn, they're bulky. 4000lb+ and a 41ft turning radius! 239 HP and 5000lb towing is handy. Sucky gas mileage, but that's to be expected I reckon. Not a great urban touring weapon.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Kayakin' Dan said:
I'm amazed all you guys that take pictures of other people's cars don't get beat up more. The difference between the E and the FJ is about $20k and some serious offroad capabilities. But realistically, the FJ is just another suburban mom totin', high priced poser mobile.
Well, in my case, I was pretty sure they were a fellow employee. And I only snapped one quick picture, and it was into the plant.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I took a good look at the FJ before buy my E this spring. The extra vehicle cost plus lower fuel economy factors where to great. Plus I live in area that doesn't offer any type of legal off-roading. I drove the E once and was sold. I would buy a FJ in a heart beet if did more off-roading.

It is interesting that the E is not view as a very rugged vehicle. Most people don't believe it when i tell it's all wheel drive and has almost 8 inches of ground clearance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey all, thanx for all the great replies! its fun to compare the two since they do have some striking similarities! i know the fj is a real hardcore off roader but i feel the E stacks up real well and makes a better "everday" use vehicle. gman 2003 SSM EX 4WD BFG ALL TERRAINS

·
Registered
46 Posts
45stang said:
hey all, thanx for all the great replies! its fun to compare the two since they do have some striking similarities! i know the fj is a real hardcore off roader but i feel the E stacks up real well and makes a better "everday" use vehicle. gman 2003 SSM EX 4WD BFG ALL TERRAINS
Your right on! I can't wait to toss the HP's for some BFG's . :) The E really is more rugged that people think. Plus the MPG is way better with the E.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no doubt no doubt the E doesnt get any props for its 4WD, clearance, and rugged ability! i took my E after our big snowstorm this past february when the roads were still declared a snow emergency and there were only 4WD pick ups and jeeps out and about and the E performed flawlessly and never got stuck even when going through some pretty deep snow! granted the All Terrains definitely helped, but you could feel the 4WD kick in, it was awesome!

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Kayakin' Dan said:
I really like the way it looks, but like you...I'm not shelling out that much for a "luxury" SUV.
I'm more of the utilitarian type. I'm not much into "off roading" just need something that can get me in and out of rustic campsites :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
pxpaulx said:
41' turning radius? i think the element could drive a figure-8 inside that!
Can I just say... I LOVE my E's turning radius!!!! It's even better than that crappy PT Cruiser!!

LOVE the turning Radius!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
i forgot how much i loved u guys!

i was recently feelin a little green when my ex girlfriend rolled up to a friends house in her brand new blue FJ.

but aside from the extirior look of it (which ties for funkyness w/ the E but wins on attractivness, sorry E :mad: ) i see nothing special.

the intrior is very element meets Xterra. and its nice, but not E nice no luxury class back seat leg room, and no removable/foldable seats that can fully recline for a romantic view of the starts :cool:

not only that but why is the the sub where it is? honestly who benifits from a side facing wall mounted sub...ugh.

heres a few pics i snapped of her car...w/ permission.

ha my E is in the background of one of em

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tinkertoy, thanx for the shots! great pics! its interesting how the E and the FJ share a lot of similarities! i think the E doesnt get the respect it deserves for its 4WD ground clearance and overall versatility! its fun to compare! heres another shot of my 2003 EX SSM 4WD. -Gman.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Is your girlfriend a Smurf or something, or is she just blue in the face ?:shock:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have owned an E and and now an FJ

I loved the E when I owned it and I love the FJ just as much, or maybe more. I liked the FJ so much I started a website about it. www.fjcruiserowners.com

Before you curse me for selling the E and getting an FJ, here's why.

Overall they are very similar vehicles.

The E wins here:

1. Seat Configurations/Storage and comfort
2. Rear Door Ease of use (it's too difficult for people to close the FJ's door)
3. Fuel Economy
4. Highway Driving (my E drove almost as nice as my lexus, the FJ drives more like a truck, but still great)
5. Interior Styling
6. Price (my FJ was $27K)
7. Moonroof

The FJ wins here:

1. Off Roading
2. Exterior Styling (the FJ looks more rugged)
3. Towing
4. HP

As you can see off roading must be important to me to offset all the advantages the E has.

I think I would like to see the rear door windows roll down in both vehicles though. My dogs didn't like not being able to stick their heads out the rear windows.

Oliver

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.