Honda Element Owners Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loud Growling Noise, El Jumped And Coasted To A Stop, Transmission?
2004 Element AWD A/T 138000mi. Regular maintenance, plus recommended services.
Was driving fine at 55 mph, came into town slowed to 30mph, went up a slight hill in town, the front of the car began to make a growling noise, then all of a sudden the car jumped upwards and lost power. I coasted to a stop, E would not move. Turned off, then restarted, put it into drive(d) and it would not move. Tried reverse, and it would not move.
Had to have it towed 200ft to the nearest garage, they can't look at it until tomorrow. I tried to put it into gear again. Car started, stalled in reverse. Restarted, shifted to neutral fine, shifted to drive, stalled in drive.
There are no lights showing on the dash. Engine has oil, transmission fluid is at normal level when running. When started engine makes a rattle that wasn't noticed before. There was no noticeable noise when shifted into gear and the engine stalled. The car did try to move just before stalling, but I did not want to rev the engine to make it any worse than it already is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
ouch.... at first i was thinking your timing belt snapped, but your car wouldn't start if that was the issue.

I wish I could help you but i'm not familiar with autos or AWD :( hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for trying. People saying it may be the cv axel or transmission? But we'll see what the mechanic says today. :|

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks for trying. People saying it may be the cv axel or transmission? But we'll see what the mechanic says today. :|
Possible that it's the axel, Mine did the same thing last year, but from a full stop to a slow accelerate, then vroooom-grind, no acceleration, when idling grinding occurs, reverse and drive both no good, didn't stall, but kept grinding. Found out later that the right front axel twisted over 3 times and broke. Keep us posted on the situation with your mechanic.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't what you people are doing to your car, but in order for the axle to break, you must have neglected the torn CV boot for a LOOOOOOOONG time!!

To OP, axle is easy to check, get under the car and check to see if they are intact. With the information given, I'll say it's the transmission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.