Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering, is there a simple way to make your car's efficiency increase while keeping your cost down to a ridiculously low amount?

Possibly just something as simple as taking off the intake scoop, or taking off the entire snorkel area? Some minor engine tweaks such as new spark plugs, and what not?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
well, if you're driving at slow speeds to reduce the aerodynamic effects, and you seem to want to remove stuff, try removing body panels to reduce the weight of the vehicle. and you probably don't need the rear seats, all the time. and the spare tire seldom gets used. if you have a removable sunroof, leave it at home when it's not raining. all of these suggestions are ridiculously low cost.

(<grin> above written half in jest.)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
the biggest thing that effects mileage is driving style!!! Go really easy with the pedals and you will see some pretty good gains. Try the basic "hypermiling" techniques and pay attention to your top speed.

Air up the tires to close to 40 psi. That helped me a little. I still don't break 24 mpg city and my highway is always lower because I usually have the roof rack loaded for road trips.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm mostly trying to improve highway driving efficiency, since I usually don't drive much in the city, I ride my bike or carpool in my friend's Mazdaspeed RX-8:D

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Well, unfortunately there isn't much for highway speeds. Air up the tires, keep your speed down and draft the semi-trucks whenever possible. You don't have to be right on their bumper to see an improvement, 1 second back will keep you in it's wake.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Keep the RPM's low, (under 4500) that will keep off the secondary cam and lower your fuel usage. Mind you it will increase the Middle Finger usage of the Shmuck behind you.:D:x:D:x

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm sure I'm committing some sort of logical fallacy here, but...

...don't you think if eking out more mileage was easy, Honda would have done it? Each extra mph translates into at least a few more sales.

That said:

1) Tire pressures correct (or on the high side)

2) Tires properly aligned

3) Air filter maintained

4) Car kept light - no rear seats if possible

5) As they say in Maryland, "Drive Gently"

Along the lines of #4, unless you're traveling, just fill the tank 1/2 way or so. No reason to "tanker" an extra 6+ gallons or so (36 lbs).

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
1,049 Posts
Kaoss said:
I was just wondering, is there a simple way to make your car's efficiency increase while keeping your cost down to a ridiculously low amount?

The simplest would be to...

now you have to follow this very closely....

the steps are very important........

in fact they are the most important part...........

step one........

get in your element.........

step two..........

drive to your nearest Honda dealer......

step three.......

find a salesman and tell em you want a civic....LOL :D:D:D

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Run some engine cleaner in the gas tank for a couple tanks if bought used. After I bought mine I ran cleaner for 3 tanks. When i bought my E it was getting around 19 mpg, now i get 23-24 mpg (bother are mixed highways and town driving).

The more spendy the cleaner the better. Remember you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the biggest thing that effects mileage is driving style!!! Go really easy with the pedals and you will see some pretty good gains. Try the basic "hypermiling" techniques and pay attention to your top speed.

Air up the tires to close to 40 psi. That helped me a little. I still don't break 24 mpg city and my highway is always lower because I usually have the roof rack loaded for road trips.
I run 34 front and 36 rear. 40 is a bit too high for me.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts