Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Moderator Eh?
12,099 Posts
eyemhess said:
My local Home Depot had some precut plywood. It is 2'x4' 3/4 inch thick. All I did was round the corners closest to the hatch and glued a piece of carpet on it. Thats it. It is really sturdy. I weigh a whopping 150lbs. wet, and there was no sign of buckling when sitting on it.

This is what i love about this site.....people are not afraid to share ideas......i picked up my materials at home depot today...not i just need to find time to build it.

Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
717 Posts
You all did a great job on your platforms!
I am inspired to take the project on myself.

From what I can see, it looks like DaveZ & Eyemhess did the best job at protecting the plastic interior of the Element by wrapping the carpet around the edges. I would worry about scratching it when taking the platform in and out.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,099 Posts
I had sometime today so i ventured into the workshop to make my own version of a rear shelf.I only needed something tall enough to stow my shovel , snow brush and booster cables. Starting with a pre-cut 48x24x3/4" board from Home Depot and some scrap 2x6 along with a cable rolls of dollar store carpet i was able to whip something together in a coupke hours that suited my needs.Ant the total cost of materials was less than $20.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
That looks good !

If you need other ideas you may wish to take a look at Ramblerdan's setup !

He has a set of plans also that will help. I think he modified Msgail's setup. It came out nice! I'll see if I can find the link!

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/platform.htm

Dom

·
Moderator Eh?
12,099 Posts
Thanks.....i was toying with going a little taller with a flip up lid.....but it is heavy enough as it is.I just wanted to keep some easy storage and still have a flat surface to toss groceries and stuff.Im sure i be changing the design a couple more times.

This is the lastest of a long list of mods i wouldnt have done if it wasn't for the members of the EOC.

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
This is nice, we're in the midst now of building a platford, actaully it's a hybrid of RamblerDan's and MSgails........I suggested she cut the corner out behind the drivers seat (a replaceable corner) to allow for feet while climbing in and out, and in my case for the dog to have a mid way jumping point. She did that and it works great, but I also like Pauls hooks (turn buckles) whatever that screw down the bed.

Thus no rattling while driving.

I like your small rear section for storage too. Nice job.

Always a bunch of good ideas on here.
jurn

·
Registered
579 Posts
Anyone think about getting one of those folding tables as a shelf/portable table? I'm not sure how much weight they support but it looks like it could fit perfectly: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_1/602-9372223-4428658?ie=UTF8&asin=B000063SJ6&frombrowse=1

20 x 48" sounds about right.

edit: I saw one at Walmart with the same length and width. It felt pretty sturdy and not so lightweight. Was gonna buy it but it came in beige. Gonna go to Target tomorrow to see if they have the black one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
platform bed

Thank you Will_Morgan for the great idea. I just finished making mine and I love it. I will be putting it to a test when I leave on a 2 week road trip in May. I may have just go out this weekend and test it.

I dont have any rattles or noise as it fits nice and secure. I love the fact I wont have to empty out the Element when it is time to hit the sack. Everything fits nicely under the platform in rubbermaid totes.

I made mine so it has a fold up of 12inches on the end by the tailgate, which is flipped up while seats are in the driving position. When camping I can slide the seats all the way forward and push the platform up againt the folded forward seats, bring the 12 inch piece down and I now have 72 inches to stretch out. The front part is 18inches and folds up for access to front storage. I did cover it with carpet from Home depot.

I also (being the perfection that I am) sanded all of the edges smooth, dont want any splinters when removing it or installing. I used 3/4 inch plywood. Seems to be very sturdy.

Thanks again for the great idea.

CJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great idea that still gives spare tire access!

I have been looking for build ideas that are 1. easy 2.modular 3. still allows easy access to spare tire. This is perfect. If space allows, heavy duty milk crates at rear and down the middle will provide extra support for consistent use.
Nice job! :grin:

·
Registered
30 Posts
13 year build still holding up

I built this exact system 13 years ago and it is still working great. I used 3/4-inch plywood and did not need and additional support from "milk crates" which gave me more room for storage underneath.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Will sell this build

I am getting ready to sell my 2006 Element and would sell this build because I doubt the new owner will want. If anyone is near southern Missouri and interested then message me.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts