Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,178 Posts
Hey guys,

When I apply the ebrake, the E can roll back and forth a bit, like a few inches.
Is this a problem?
Is a certain amount of slop expected? If so how much.

Thanks,
-David
It finally hit me that what you describe is the brake NOT GOING ON AT ALL. That's the regular slop in an automatic transmission put in park. Your EMERGENCY brake (also used as a parking brake) is the required mechanical backup system on all cars & trucks in case the hydraulic system fails so you really ought to get it fixed.

· Registered
3,178 Posts
OK, no law says you must use all available resources in an emergency.

Of course every system should be maintained in proper condition. But the OP's question was about the hand brake.
I love how you reminded us that no law says (blah-blah)... I have this mental image of a driver merrily debating the points of the law with the EMT's all the way in to the E-room. :lol: Really, if there's an emergency and I need to do something I wasn't expecting, my thoughts aren't filled with scores of of DOT regs, manufacturer recommendations, etc. What I see is a quick "Hey... That'll work! WOW!"

What I DO like about the Honda system is how it's different from the system I had on my GM trucks. The emergency brake was only a different way of using the same brake shoes that the rear wheels used for normal stopping and while they could slow the truck to a stop eventually if used in a brake failure (and that DID happen to me when I lost the master cylinder) the system was poor at best for holding it in place, especially in reverse. The Honda disc/drum version is solid and gives me more confidence that it'll work as needed - assuming the cable linkage is more reliable over time than the GM parts. They usually rusted solid after 30-50k miles even with regular lubing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.