Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great! Sent you a message with my #.

I am curious if you have additional pictures of your install along the way? There are a couple pieces that I am not fully aware where they go - specifically, I removed 2 solid plastic blocks, almost 1" cubes, and I cannot recall where they went.

Also, did you use riv nuts? I am probably going to just drill holes and attach with bolt/nut. I have the headliner dropped already so I have full access.

What did you end up painting it with?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ahhh, yes, the plastic blocks. I don't know if I have pics of those specifically, but from memory there are two bolt holes toward the back that sit down in the rain gutter, adjacent to the sunroof. Because that sheet metal is depressed vs the rest of the roof, I think the blocks go in there to act as spacers. I believe I taped them in place w/painter's tape just to ensure they stayed put when lowering the camper on.

I did use riv-nuts as I kept the headliner in place through the whole install. Bolts could be easier if you have access, though I would think about epoxying the fastener in place on the underside for any future removal.

I thought about painting it, but instead went with a vinyl wrap just around the visible sides. If you're experienced with vinyl it's probably pretty straightforward, though it was a little tricky for me being the first time.

Hope that helps and please post any photos you have too...

·
Registered
18 Posts
i'm curious to know how much modification is done to the element to fit the camper. is it basically just a matter of bolting the ecamper in the right places? so if you took it off in the future you just have a regular element with holes in the roof?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ahhh, yes, the plastic blocks. I don't know if I have pics of those specifically, but from memory there are two bolt holes toward the back that sit down in the rain gutter, adjacent to the sunroof. Because that sheet metal is depressed vs the rest of the roof, I think the blocks go in there to act as spacers. I believe I taped them in place w/painter's tape just to ensure they stayed put when lowering the camper on.

I did use riv-nuts as I kept the headliner in place through the whole install. Bolts could be easier if you have access, though I would think about epoxying the fastener in place on the underside for any future removal.

I thought about painting it, but instead went with a vinyl wrap just around the visible sides. If you're experienced with vinyl it's probably pretty straightforward, though it was a little tricky for me being the first time.

Hope that helps and please post any photos you have too...
Thanks! I will try to get photos along the way and post them up.

So far I have things prepped, headliner dropped, and getting ready to paint the cap with "Monstaliner" - have seen this coating before and people rave about the durability and application. We'll see how it turns out :p. Still working (thankfully) so time is still somewhat limited but I'm itching to make progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i'm curious to know how much modification is done to the element to fit the camper. is it basically just a matter of bolting the ecamper in the right places? so if you took it off in the future you just have a regular element with holes in the roof?
Correct. You have to remove the black plastic trim pieces from the top, and drill a few holes to bolt the ecamper on. If you take it off, seal the holes, and replace the black trim, you're back to a plain ol Element.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ah, that's good to know. Ursa makes it sound like it's not reversible, but if the holes are hidden by trim pieces then it's doable. Hmm... Has me thinking I should try to grab those off an Element in the junk yard just in case I decide I don't want the camper in the future for some reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The holes are not all hidden by the trim pieces. But in my mind, easy enough to seal with some bolts/sealant, and shouldn't be noticeable since its on the roof.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts