Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The towed occured last summer.. I didn't occur to me until today that the AWD E can not be towed with the front wheels up.. I know they didn't use a flat bed. The apt complex was retarring the parking lot and they towed my E down to another parking spot 100 yards away..

Any chance that my AWD system was damaged? How can the damage occur? How do I tell if damage has already occured? Is there a resource online to read up on the Honda RT 4wd system? Thanks

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
100 yards is pretty infinitesimal. I would be worried if they dragged it across town or something though. I wish Honda put a window sticker or something to warn against improper towing. It seems like the towing companies train their guys to inflict maximum damage sometimes, or maybe just lack of training or not caring.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THanks for the links.. okay just read the PDF doc.. seems to me that the system will disengage the 4WD mode if the differential lubricant gets too hot.. Is that basically the only danger? Heating up of the rear differential?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Any time you are towed, report it stolen (it was) and then you have a paper trail for a lawsuit if there was damage.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I used to be a tow truck driver, do you know if they used dollies to raise the rear tires off the ground? The rear tires do lock if you start towing from the front, and if they drug it you'll have flat spots on the rears. If they picked it up from the rear, broke in and put it in neutral you're fine.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Even in neutral with the front end down damage can occur. The wheels all need to rotate together at the same speed (or not at all) to prevent damage.

I doubt the short distance did any damage. I'd change the rear diff fluid anyway. Check to see if the old stuff smells burnt. In any case, getting some fresh stuff in there can only be an improvement. ;-)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what is the exact mechanism for possible damage? When we say short distances is okay, but then someone said the rears will drag if not in neutral.. that sounds like to me that NO distance is okay if the rear dragged...

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
When we say short distances is okay, but then someone said the rears will drag if not in neutral...
Neutral has nothing to do with it...if either the front or rear wheels rotate (faster than the opposite end), it will cause the pump to engauge and try and turn the other wheels to match. Since the other wheels are tied down to a wheel lift, the system will overheat and the diff clutches will burn from friction/binding. The longer the distance the more overheating....the more damage.

How far is too far? Good question...some slippage is normal in the system. The fluid breaks down with normal use (thus the need for replacement every 30k (or 60k) miles). I don't know if anyone knows "how far is too far," for sure, but 100yards seems "reasonable." It would have happened for a short period of time at low speeds, so damage would have been minimized.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts