Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the Eibach rear lower control arms are actually shorter than stock? I know that there are shorter ones made to correct camber for civics out there, but was wondering if the Eibach ones are shorter or the same dimensions as stock and made just for looks like the rest o the LCA's that are made for the Element.

I am running a 20X10 +35 rear wheel and do not have much clearance to the inside wheelwell so I need to know, I will try calling Eibach too.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
ASFAIK, ALL LCAs for the E are direct replacements. They are stronger than
the OEM LCAs. They are NOT just for looks. The camber is adjusted with the
upper arm.

Are you rubbing??? Do you have room under your fender to run a 3mm spacer??
A longer LCA arm will only make things worse for you. It will throw the geometry
of the suspension all off. I wouldnt do it.

If you are NOT rubbing, dont worry about it.

All this is just me guessing. You should post a lot more info.

What size tires are you running?
What brand tires are you running?
Did you roll your rear fenders?
Are you rubbing on the outer fender?
Do you have aftermarket LCAs already?
Do you have a camber kit??
How much lip do you have on the rear rim?
What were the readings of your last alignment?
Are you lowered?
What are you lowered with??
How much lower than stock??
Was it aligned after you got it lowred??

Do you see where this is going??

The more info, the more help we can give you.

How about some pix as well!!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Anyone know if the Eibach rear lower control arms are actually shorter than stock? I know that there are shorter ones made to correct camber for civics out there, but was wondering if the Eibach ones are shorter or the same dimensions as stock and made just for looks like the rest o the LCA's that are made for the Element.

I am running a 20X10 +35 rear wheel and do not have much clearance to the inside wheelwell so I need to know, I will try calling Eibach too.
i may be wrong, but i could have swore eibachs website said somthing about them being for clearancing issues with wider wheels meaning they would be shorter?

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Forgot to mention, they wont fit on your SC unless you have them modified.

Also found this:

EIBACH PRO ALIGNMENT CLEARANCE CONTROL ARMS, SET OF 2 -- Includes bushings;
Allows for wider wheel and tire combinations and helps prevent tire-rubbing problems
when used with Eibach Pro-Alignment Camber Kits and Toe Adjusters.

So they make work if you buy all three components. But you will need to modify
the LCA. I have no idea if the toe adjusters will fit on the SC. I have never heard or
read about anyone ever using them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that the Eibach arms are shorter, this is the same as the RSX arm where it pulls the wheel inward to allow more clearance.

Just wanted someone to verify it.

My wheels are 20x8.5 +35 / 20x10 +35 - tires are 245/40/20 all around.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
well, i think that the Eibach arms are the same length as the OEM arms, but have different shape so that they are less likely to rub on wheels/tires.
at least that is what i would expect when buying replacement LCAs.

in order to verify, one would have to have both LCAs side by side, or some really good pictures.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The eibach arms are the same length, they are just shaped to give clearance.
The problem you will have is the trailing arm, that's the big tube your shock/spring combo bolts to. I ran 20x10 with a 40mm offset and had to heat up the trailing arm with a torch and hammer is in about 3/8 of an inch. You will not even have a problem with the stock lca's but the added peice of mind is nice and you will have to bore of the frame mount bushing sleeve to 14mm.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I was talking about was the SPC arms for the 88-95 civic/91-01 integra (BTW the Element Eibach arms are made by SPC) - the ones I have in my civic are shorter than stock which, used in conjuction with the adj. upper, pulls the whole wheel inboard to give more fender clearance, I guess they did not do it for the element - BTW - How can the rear LCA's shape allow more clearance??? It is not in close proximity to anything - Eibach told me they are only for "asthetics"

I am running a 20x10 +35 - no clearance issues to the trailing arm - YET...

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
...BTW - How can the rear LCA's shape allow more clearance??? ...
well, on lowered vehicles, the ends of the LCAs near the wheel can actually be higher than the end near the pivot point closer to the center of the vehicle. if the LCA have a large cross-section they might rub on tires or even wheels. by using a stronger material that doesn't require a cross section as large as the OEM LCAs, the contact to tires/wheels can be avoided. of course, rim width, rim diameter and rim offset also affect how close the LCAs are to making contact.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, on lowered vehicles, the ends of the LCAs near the wheel can actually be higher than the end near the pivot point closer to the center of the vehicle. if the LCA have a large cross-section they might rub on tires or even wheels. by using a stronger material that doesn't require a cross section as large as the OEM LCAs, the contact to tires/wheels can be avoided. of course, rim width, rim diameter and rim offset also affect how close the LCAs are to making contact.
I would really like to see a pic of how the LCA could contact the rim or tire, while this may hold true for some cars out there, The element or any honda with a similar setup is not one.

I think the description of these LCA's is just misleading.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I would really like to see a pic of how the LCA could contact the rim or tire, while this may hold true for some cars out there, The element or any honda with a similar setup is not one.

I think the description of these LCA's is just misleading.
it may have been on this forum that someone reported they had such rubbing. i think it turned out to be something else. if you want to have the rubbing, i think a vehicle w/ a 10cm drop, 15 in diameter wheels, 10 in width, 55 offset and 265 tires will probably do it. however, i have no interest in trying this just to provide a picture. <grin>

i put the F7 LCAs on my vehicle primarily for the bling. reduced unsprung weight, stiffer arms and being able to use polyurethane bushings were other considerations. avoiding a rubbing situation was never considered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts