Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been running these on my SC for awhile now and was checking out the rears the other day and noticed that I am only using 2 upper coil winds on the springs. All of the other coils are compressed together. For those running Eibachs, is that normal? I'm also on original OEM shocks.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
From other forums I have heard many reports about the Eibach Pro Kit springs sagging over time.

All lowering springs are stiffer than stock springs in order to keep you from riding on the bump stops. The stiffer springs are hard on stock shocks and struts and really require heavy duty units.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have the Pro Kit on one of my other cars and love them. They are paired with Tokico Blues all around; agreed that the OEM units are not sufficient. The springs themselves are progressive rate and only feel stiffer when turning.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
body roll will compress the spring in a turn won't it?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Progressive springs work because the springs do very little when traveling in a straight line & at a constant speed. Small bumps and dips are absorbed by the struts dampening, and the spring doesnt respond because its at its "softest" compression rate.

When you accelerate, stop, or turn, the weight of the vehicle shifts & THAT is when the springs really do anything. The progressive rate is eaten up quickly & they respond by reaching their stiffer ratings (which is why they feel firmer in turns). Body roll is a result of weight transfer, which loads both the sway bars & the springs simultaneously.

Springs of higher ratings are bad on struts because when you reach those higher ratings (like hitting a big bump) the spring does actually lessen the initial impact on the strut but then forces the strut to rebound back faster than it was designed to, which accelerates wear on the strut.

The coils of the springs should have a relatively even spacing from top to bottom, a linear spring rate will have even spacing between all coils, and a progressive spring should have less space between top & bottom coils & more space between the center coils. How you are describing it it sounds like all of the coils are touching except for a couple at the top.
The springs have much more travel than the struts, meaning your struts should hit their mechanical limits before the springs are ever fully compressed. If you have spring windings actually touching each other (except at the very ends of course) there is something wrong. Can you post a picture of your finding?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts