Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've a 2007 LX with just over 40k on it. Installed Eibach Pro-kit springs less than a year ago, and the struts are so dead. The rear compresses and rebounds like a trampoline over road humps when driving at speed. It's hard to tell if the fronts are as bad, but I think they are...

Anyway, previous experience tells me to get a complete set of KYB GR2s and all will be pretty good. But getting front KYBs seems impossible (and KYB has removed the front struts from their catalog). I've had Monroe Sensatracs on other vehicles and I found them to be pretty crappy.

Any recommendations? The rear KYBs are plentiful and not too expensive, so I thought about just doing the rears and then evaluating the state of things. However, my gut tells me the fronts are going to show their weakness once the rear is firmed-up.

Any other Eibachers out there with a setup they recommend?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi all,

I've a 2007 LX with just over 40k on it. Installed Eibach Pro-kit springs less than a year ago, and the struts are so dead. The rear compresses and rebounds like a trampoline over road humps when driving at speed. It's hard to tell if the fronts are as bad, but I think they are...

Anyway, previous experience tells me to get a complete set of KYB GR2s and all will be pretty good. But getting front KYBs seems impossible (and KYB has removed the front struts from their catalog). I've had Monroe Sensatracs on other vehicles and I found them to be pretty crappy.

Any recommendations? The rear KYBs are plentiful and not too expensive, so I thought about just doing the rears and then evaluating the state of things. However, my gut tells me the fronts are going to show their weakness once the rear is firmed-up.

Any other Eibachers out there with a setup they recommend?
since there are not any companies that make a shock/strut for a lowered element, and if you plan on keeping it lowered; I would just get coilovers. Im getting ready to insall lowering springs on my box as well, but I already know it will only be for about 12 months or so since the stock shocks/struts wont hold up. Later this year I will get coilovers. Or it you just want to replace with more stockers, goto www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and order some. They are actually reasonably priced. You could even possibly go with SC ones. I may be wrong, but with the part #'s being different between the SC and LX/EX, they may be a different strut/shock

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh the dilemma...

Thanks for the reply - I just recently invested in these Eibach springs, so I really don't want to lost the investment by spending even more on coilovers. But I definitely see the logic...

I think I'll give strut replacement a try - it appears it's about:

$110 front right (stock)
$110 front left (stock)
$65 rear right (kyb gr2)
$65 rear left (kyb gr2)

And it's well over $1000 for KSport coilovers by my quick Google search. So I guess I'll chime-in after this next round of struts die :)

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I did the same exact thing after I bought my "E" new in 2005 and I installed Eibach Springs and ran them without problems for over 2 years. I then changed over to the Tein Basic Coil Overs after that, and I have also had absolutely no problems with them either. "Good Luck!" ;-)

Chief

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
So Darth -- I should hear your reply as a recommendation for coil overs?
The inherent problem with all lowering springs is that you are modifying the normal operation of the OEM shocks and struts. So when you put a shorter spring around them, they can no longer expand to their fullest capacity (this causes premature wear). OEM shocks and struts can get up around 80K miles or so, whereas with lowering springs you're only going to get about half of that.

The true beauty of Coil Overs is #1, they're adjustable, so your ride height is wherever you wish to set it. #2, they come with their own struts/ shocks and springs that are shorter, and automatically adaptable to a lowered vehicle. However, I did have to rebuild the rear coil overs with heavy duty valves and 986lb. springs so that I could have passengers in the rear. I also cut out the inner rear fenders so that when I hit a dip, my rear wheels tuck very nicely under the fenders. But these are some of the modifications you make if you want a lowered vehicle!

Chief

1 - 6 of 6 Posts