Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello! I've had my E for some time. I got her in 2003, and love her to death. I may get a new car at some time in my life, but I will never sell my Element. Got her with 102 miles on the odometer, am at 104k now, hope to make it to 300k+

I'm starting this thread to more so keep track of things I do and as a way to keep a log as what I'm working on.

Here's a pic from last week:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Honda element

·
Registered
804 Posts
Nice shot of your ' E ' very clean. Look forward to more pics as you do your mods.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like to keep her clean! It's the biggest gift my parents ever gave me, so I figure that I need to take care of it.

Speaking of that, Changed the air filter today.

Wire Technology Electrical wiring Auto part Cable

My old one that came with the car is (dirty) white. The new one that I got from HandA.com is blue. Has anyone else seen their air filters change color? Did I just get a non-OEM filter? Just wondering. It looked about the same, air moves the same.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Glad to see another build/ownership thread! The only color that air filters change is from accumulated dirt - black. I suppose if you only drive on dusty Georgia trails, you could turn a filter red over time.

That white one is probably just a Walmart special. If you still have it there might be a part number on it somewhere. Also, it looks to have less folds and a wire mesh. Totally different filter than what you just bought.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I figured the actual filter hadn't changed color over time. What's odd is I don't think I've ever had my Air Filter changed according to my service records, so that means that white filter is the one that came with the car from Honda.

Other wise, the blue one was thicker, but the white one had more mesh on the outside and inside. I track mileage, but I doubt it will change much. Anyone else have a blue OEM Filter?

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Yea, I figured the actual filter hadn't changed color over time. What's odd is I don't think I've ever had my Air Filter changed according to my service records, so that means that white filter is the one that came with the car from Honda.

Other wise, the blue one was thicker, but the white one had more mesh on the outside and inside. I track mileage, but I doubt it will change much. Anyone else have a blue OEM Filter?
The white filter does not look like an OEM filter. The replacement filter you bought is the same filter Honda has used on the Element since day one.

Does the old one say Honda on it on either end moulded into the rubber?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happy Birthday to my Element! She turned 8 today. Got a fresh wash and detail, and a new AT license plate.

Vehicle registration plate Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Vehicle door

Pretty excited for my new plate. I've been trying to get it for a few years and just had issues ordering it. Always happy to support the Appalachian Trail Club.

Been a while since I've done anything major, work has been busy. I'm planning on doing "Mike's Mod" and adding a PQ10 amp, Componets up front, and adding an aftermarket sub with a sealed box in the front. More on that later. Any advice on subs or speakers is welcome.

I did see ~3 MPG raise after changing my air filter. So I've got that going for me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since my Element doesn't have a trip computer, I started using the Road Trip app for iOS a few years ago and absolutely love it. Not only does it track my MPG (you input price, mileage, and fuel when you fill up), but it tracks gas prices, miles traveled, daily cost and a whole bunch of other things.

The best though is that I can track and put in reminders for changing fluids or parts out, and have a set record that is backed up for DropBox. You can input any service or expense, and track just about every detail of your car. I wish I had done this from the start, because it makes an extensive record of vehicle cost. Highly highly recommended for those who love data.

Text Font Technology Screenshot Electronic device

Text Font Technology Electronic device Screenshot

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Starting my Stereo Install

Started my stereo install thread today......

This is basically what it says. I'm looking forward to getting this thing finally done right.

So after about 4 years of saying I'm going to put a new stereo in, I'm finally going to do it. Here's my plan:

-New Sub with slightly modded stock sub enclosure
-Components up front
-Coax in the back
-4 Channel Amp under front seat
-Maybe even a little sound deadening....

So I'm going to base this heavily off of Mike's Mod- I even got an old ADS PQ Amp from my friend. 4 Chan Amp under Passenger seat that powers my sub and front speakers, stock amp doing rear speakers. But before I get into details, I have a few questions if anyone can help out. This is mostly, like a personal thread, just to help me keep track. In addition to Mike's Mod, I'm going to use HeftyHonda's install to help

Questions:

1. I'm looking at Kicker 6.5 CVT Sub and JL W6 Sub (I've read some about both, but no real preference right now), but what Ohm should I get if I have an ADS PQ10 Amp? Any other recommendations on subs

2. I'm looking at JL C2-650 Components and Coax. I'm trying to do this on a budget, the more I save the more can go towards other element projects. I've heard of others getting refurbished speakers, but do they hold out for a long time?

3. I already have an under seat inverter with lines to my battery and a fuse. I know I'll need a new fuse for my amp. Anyone have good fuse set ups? I've looked at Rob Dobbs, and it looks nice.

4. Sound deadening. I'm planning on just doing a little to prevent rattle on the speakers. If I do This from amazon, will that actuaklly do much? Unless I'm doing the whole car is it pointless?

5. Ok, for the sub building out, I'm following this and this thread. So any thoughts on ported vs. Sealed? This is a big one for me because this is my first foray into subs. I'm planning on opening up the stock box, putting some sound deadening on the inside, some baffle, and then either sealing or porting the back.

I've seen it sealed with a Kicker 65 CVT that Built B16A did, unported like alexmburgos did, and a few others.

Thanks to anyone that can offer sage advice! I really appreciate it. I'm really excited to finally get a start on this project.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Poor Man's Seat Heater

Finally cleaned up my home made seat warmer today. I took one of the over seat warmers, put it under my OEM seat covers, and hard wired it to my ignition electricity. The switch is in a small spot right by the hand brake, hidden by the seat molding. Worked out pretty well to keep me warm for under 20 bucks. I already had my GPS hard wired to the ignition, so I just added a splitter and plugged in the Seat warmer.

Switch:
Auto part Vehicle Car

(I know, the cord is out in this photo. It's usually hidden better in the molding.)

Hard wire under dash:
Auto part Vehicle Car

Where you can kind of see the seat warmer. It's not perfect, but it's hard to notice unless you're looking for it.
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Car seat Family car

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sound deadening

I ordered some CLD sound deadening tiles from Don at Sound Deadener Showdon. He was great, got right back to me about all the details I wanted. I ordered, and had them the next day. Around 50$ for 20 tiles.
Box Material property Rectangle Packaging and labeling

Transparency Paper Glass Metal

Architecture Cutlery Tableware

I borrowed a sound level meter from a friend to get some pre-tile readings. I want to see just how well these actually work.

Idle - 64db
65MPH - 86-87db
Stereo at Full Volume - 110db

It'll be interesting to see how everything comes out when I do my stereo and tiles in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So I started on my stereo install today, going pretty well except for cracking one little piece of trim. Tomorrow I'm going to add the sound deadening, new speakers, and the amp. Hopefully goes smoothly, it's all on my Stereo Thread.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got everything hooked up in my car today (new speakers, Amp)

Went to turn it on.

Turned the Key. Pop. Fizzle. Nothing.

Now I can't even get it to give me any sort of power.

But great pictures and details of the install to come once I figure this mess out!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Getting close on the stereo!

So my stereo is all in and working. The problem before was a loose battery terminal connection. I'm really happy with the new speakers, even contemplating adding an 8'' up front.

The CLD tiles have made a huge difference. The car sounds quieter inside now. The doors have the biggest difference. They close with a satisfying "THUD" now that I put a few on them. Probably one of the best upgrades 50$ can do.

Next on my list will be a new battery. I'm hoping to get a size 24 Duralast Gold on black friday. After that, my horn sounds like an old goat so I'm going to swap that out. Suggestions for a new one are welcome!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man, this Stereo has been a HEADACHE. I've been driving around with only my back speakers due to a buzz on the fronts. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon.

However, everything else is going great. I've set out my maintenance schedule for pretty much the rest of time. I just did my Transmission fluid, Radiator Flush and change, Transmission Fluid and Filter Change, and Differential Fluid change.

Also did my oil. Sent the results off to Blackstone Labs. Excited to get those results back. I've been doing 10k with Mobil 1 5w-20 Extended Performance Full Syn with Honda Blue Cans.

Doing my battery this week, as well as installing some Speed Bleeders and doing my brake fluid. I'll have pics of that up after. Hopefully I'll find time during the month to do my yearly clay bar and wax, and I'm hoping to do some Black Wow on the Trim

·
Registered
118 Posts
So just noticed that you have hte Yakima King Cobra bike racks attached to your factory roof rack...I have one from my other car that I was thinking of putting on my factory rack as well, but I needed mighty mounts first. What mighty mount size did you use? how does it hold? I read on here that the 23h seems to be the correct one, but some people have used 24h and it worked better. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
the white one is after market, 17220-PNB-003 is the honda part number for ur air filter u can usually find them online for $15

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As for the mighty Mounts, I honestly have no clue what size they are. I put them on about 6 years ago. Any way to easily tell without taking the whole thing off? My suggestion would be to go to a shop that sells them and just try them both out right there.

And as for the the air filter, Thanks for that. I usually just get one off HandA whenever I need a new one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, did my SpeedBleeders this weekend. Was super easy, took about 45 minutes to do all my brakes, install and bleed. Honestly, the next time I bleed them and change the fluid it will probably take 15 minutes. Great addition to my car.

Old Bleeders-
Auto part Hand Art Sculpture Metal

New SpeedBleeders-
Auto part Brake Vehicle brake

Comparison-
Auto part

Bleeding-
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system

Clean, Fresh Fluid-
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car

1 - 20 of 20 Posts