Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've always wondered...

First of all if you have ever watched modern day RC cars this is totally believable. Transfering that to a full size vehicle was a matter of time.

Secondly. The recharging thing has alway bothered me. When I get to work I park my car away from the building. No place to plug in. I could see a world where you stop and plug in. With that said why not use solar cells to trickle charge the electric cars. I mean most of us park our cars all day while at work. Most lots don't have much shade to contend with.

I could see how this would not work in a parking garage. Could they offset some of the use by trickle charging the batteries while you drove?

Any of you highly technical peeps oout there set me straight?

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
If it's done right (though more expensive), the brakes are regenerative - i.e. they put power back into the batteries. If you run power into a motor, you get motion. If you run motion into a motor, you get power.

Trickle charge could work but you need more area than just a little solar cell to charge up that much juice. Given the size of the cables he was working with, that thing's taking a LOOOOOOOOT of juice when he charges up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Very cool ride. I would love a little electric car to tool around in. Yeah the solar charging would only help a little, those solar trickle chargers don't give you much juice, even when you look at the big daddies. You would be better off tapping into a street light for power. With enough demand parking meters could have outlets to plug into and you could then be billed by the charge time and not the parking time. Swipe a credit card before you plug in and when you are ready to leave unplug ans go...

Of course this kind of stuff is too easy to implement and ride the oil addiction so it will probably never happen.:roll::mad:

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
All it would need is the infrastructure. Where I grew up in Canada, every public and private parking lot had a plug-in on a post for each spot - to plug in your car's block heater in Winter (when it was -40 below).

Or how about a main battery pack, and a reserve. When your main runs out, you get an idiot light, and are on reserve. And you know you need stop at the nearest corner QuickCharge station for a charge, just like you stop for gas now.

Most electrics coming out in the next few years carry a small gas or diesel generator for generating electricity for the car, when the batteries are low, until you can stop and recharge.
Don't know why it has taken so long - it's how trains have run for years. Locomotives are electric powered, they just carry a big diesel generator to product that electiricity. It's why they are so efficient.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yeah, I figured it packed a punch with a 15-20 min charge time for the car..

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
it looked like it had the electric motor mounted to the transmission and then computer controlled. Besides the gearing I assume you could "dial" in the power control for max run time versus max power.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
it looked like it had the electric motor mounted to the transmission and then computer controlled. Besides the gearing I assume you could "dial" in the power control for max run time versus max power.
The reason I ask is that I would imagine given the massive torque, it would make sense to gear it very very high for highway, but no way to do that with wheel-mounted motors.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The time this will be most practical is when the new generation of capacitors becomes available. They're looking at putting these things in everything from power tools, portable electronics and phones, all the way up to electric vehicles. No degrading charge over lifetime and an energy density that will make a LIon battery look like a 20's lead acid.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Very true... but with no real demand they new capacitors won't be in any hurry to get our of the R&D phase.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Actually they're being worked into the new line of laptops to replace LIon batteries. They have a demand based discharge rate, so they can also be used in cell phones and electric vehicles. The demand is there, they just need to have a slightly faster filament production line.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Oh, come on. I want the stupid drivers cars to explode and burn randomly (I'll wait for the perfected batts myself, thank you.:D)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts