Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently broken down in a parking lot. I was driving for about 10 minutes and my engine and power steering went out, theres a burning electrical smell. Anybody have something similar happen to them? 2006 honda element with about 197k.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT; 2008 LX FWD AT
2,011 Posts
You lost power steering because the engine shut down. Do any of the dash lights come on when you turn the key? Was the smell under the dash, or under the hood? Don't have my manual handy. Check some of the main fuses, like to the engine computer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lights come on when I turn the key, checked the fuses they're good. I can smell the burning electrical inside and outside of the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I'm thinking, that or the battery. Do alternators smell burnt when they go bad?

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT; 2008 LX FWD AT
2,011 Posts
Yeah, depends on what fails. Sounds like you let the smoke out (electrical components operates on smoke - when the smoke comes out, they don't work any more). A battery shouldn't smoke. Happen to have a multimeter with you? Check the battery voltage. Try jump starting it, let it charge a bit before attempting to start it. If it continues to run (without further smoke/burning smell), try turning on the lights and see if they start dimming - if so, it's running off the battery and not the alternator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts