Honda Element Owners Club banner

581 - 600 of 679 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Element clutches tend to last a good long time, but if I were taking everything apart to do the 6 speed conversion, I'd replace the 145K clutch at the same time. Also, as Watt-man notes, replace the release bearing (Honda p/n 22810-PPT-003) at the same time. You might also want to replace bushing 22103-PNA-003, a $5 item.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well... some tranny gears broke, so I took it out, fixed it, and installed the 6th gear! I should have done this a long time ago, but I didn't have a strong reason. Until I had to take the tranny out.

Everything was pretty simple and fairly straightforward. These are the parts that I bought:

- Shifter mechanism parts -
Reverse shift piece 24240-PNS-000
Shift arm interlock 24430-PNS-000

- Main shaft parts -
Main shaft 6th gear 23590-RAS-A00
Needle Bearing (35 x 41 x 24) 91103-RAS-003
Collar (28 x 35 x 24) 23916-PNS-000

- Countershaft parts -
Countershaft 6th gear 23491-RAS-000

Everything is working. Except I have a minor glitch that I need to troubleshoot... Please see my next post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After the conversion the 6th gear is difficult to engage if engaged after the 5th. I cannot swing the shifter in one fluid motion from 5th to 6th. I have to return the lever to the very center of the shift pattern. Then I can shift into 6th. Rev matching or shifting at different speeds, or even with the engine off, does not make any difference. It's almost as if there is some safety thing there that used to keep me from engaging Rev after the 5th, which now is keeping me from engaging the 6th after the 5th. Is there such a thing there?

It is even easier to shift from 4th to 6th that from 5th to 6th. I swear the lever does not want to swing straight from 5th to 6th, but it works fine if I move it using any other path.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh, almost forgot. I have had an LSD in my Element since 2007, ever since one of my girlfriends blew up my stock diff. It works wonderfully. I bought mine from OBX, but I would recommend someone with a better quality reputation. It's not an "Element diff", it is from some other Honda model. Most of the Honda stuff seems to be interchangeable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After the conversion the 6th gear is difficult to engage if engaged after the 5th. I cannot swing the shifter in one fluid motion from 5th to 6th. I have to return the lever to the very center of the shift pattern. Then I can shift into 6th. Rev matching or shifting at different speeds, or even with the engine off, does not make any difference. It's almost as if there is some safety thing there that used to keep me from engaging Rev after the 5th, which now is keeping me from engaging the 6th after the 5th. Is there such a thing there?

It is even easier to shift from 4th to 6th that from 5th to 6th. I swear the lever does not want to swing straight from 5th to 6th, but it works fine if I move it using any other path.
Crap! I didn't read any instructions. But now that I have read half of the thread it turns out that I have to remove the Reverse Lockout! The first explicit mentioning of it seems to be in Post #206! Then Post #267. I am glad that I do not have to remove the tranny again. Whew!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well... removing the Reverse Lockout through the opening for the shift shaft is possible, but it is a pain, and there is always a risk of dropping something into the tranny. Like a wrench socket, or one of the bolts. I found it easier to just remove the shift shaft and cut off a boss from the "Reverse Lock Cam Striker, Part #24412-PPP-000. Without a protruding striker the reverse lockout system is fully disabled.

This piece is very hard, but it very easy to grind it. I ground around the boss and then knocked it off. Of course this must be done with the piece removed from the shift shaft in order to keep the rest of the parts clean.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
seems someone has a kit (for people who don't like plugging in part numbers to hondapartsnow.com) its about $75 more expensive (for me, to ship to phoenix)

$645 shipped to the upper 48 states kseriesparts.com

24240-PNS-000 - Reverse Shift Piece - $39.20
24430-PNS-000 - Shift Arm Interlock - $24.52
24201-RAS-000 - Fork Gearshift (5-6) - $59.04
24412-PNS-000 - Arm Mainshaft Brake System - $12.24
24413-PNS-000 - Mainshaft Brake System Return - $0.91

23590-RAS-A00 - 6th Gear - Mainshaft - 63.26
91103-RAS-003 - Needle Bearing - $8.44
23916-PNS-000 - Collar - $4.66
23626-PNS-315 - 5-6 Synchronizer Sleve Set - $255.29
90011-PPP-000 - Honda Bolt - Special $5.63
23491-RAS-000 - 6th Gear - Countershaft - $54.92

Shipping and Handling to Phoenix - $34.21

or: $562.32 from hondapartsnow.com (didn't try any of the other sites.) for the exact same parts.

the kit includes 4 parts that the last running list didn't include or need, in bold above. (i think that the fork gearshift took some work to reuse, but I'm not sure as I haven't done this yet.)

I'm including this to just give updated prices for the parts :$484.50 for the bare minimum. (not including needed fluids to do the conversion)

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Thanks for the update, cursh. You will love your 6-speed when it's done!
What could I do to coerce you into minor/part time hand holding when I decide to pull the trigger (hopefully before the phoenix heat comes back).

I would love to have a resource on hand that had actually been in there before, though admittedly, i could probably get through it without one. (when I replaced the timing belt on my old 1.8T a few years ago, a friend was "helping me" but almost immediately became much more interested in lowering a beetle 4" and couldn't be found for the majority of the timing belt operation.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lurking for well over a year. Finally got the element about 5 months ago, and have been preparing for this ever since. Can't wait to get 6 gears back (coming from rsx type-s) :razz:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Interesting... but only about half the part numbers match my parts list of what I bought that I've shown in post #543 of this thread. Buyer Beware, I guess!
Well I can delete the link if you'd like. I tried to cross reference but got lost in the thread. I punched in my 2007 element sc on their site and it said it was compatible. Not that it guarantees anything. I have yet to call them and verify. But that's what I found, and figured if it works for someone cool. If it doesn't work, then I'll delete it. You make the call.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i suspect that is the same kit referenced in post #573 above ^^.

not that we can't have too much of a good thing...
Haha, I saw the part numbers in that list, but I completely missed the link to the site... whoops. Well there you have it twice now. Haha.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had TC in Denver do the 6MT mod to my '08 E back in '08. 110k miles on the mod and it has been flawless the entire time.

Well, until last week. Popped out of 6th gear on a slight incline (near Rifle on I-70, heading east), apropos of nothing. Thought to myself that maybe I'd just been lazy on the previous shift, and not gotten it all the way into 6th.

That thought lasted for about 20 minutes, then it popped out again. 3rd pop happened about 2 hours later.

I don't do any true climbing in 6th, but slight upgrades have always seemed fine until now.

Which part have I worn out? In other words, if I have someone look at it, where should they start?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

MC

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had TC in Denver do the 6MT mod to my '08 E back in '08. 110k miles on the mod and it has been flawless the entire time.

Well, until last week. Popped out of 6th gear on a slight incline (near Rifle on I-70, heading east), apropos of nothing. Thought to myself that maybe I'd just been lazy on the previous shift, and not gotten it all the way into 6th.

That thought lasted for about 20 minutes, then it popped out again. 3rd pop happened about 2 hours later.

I don't do any true climbing in 6th, but slight upgrades have always seemed fine until now.

Which part have I worn out? In other words, if I have someone look at it, where should they start?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

MC
is the fluid level good?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

MC
in doing the 5 to 6 mod, some folks didn't replace the 5-6 synchro, because it looked like it would work. it does for a while. i know of at least 1 other 6MT that suffered from this issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
in doing the 5 to 6 mod, some folks didn't replace the 5-6 synchro, because it looked like it would work. it does for a while. i know of at least 1 other 6MT that suffered from this issue.
Hmmm. Mine was flawless for 110,000+ miles, and is only intermittently problematic now. Seems unlikely that this would be the root cause.

581 - 600 of 679 Posts