Honda Element Owners Club banner

661 - 672 of 672 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Still love my 6th gear, couple thousand miles, and new struts later, my lunar shuttle cruzes 90 on the freeway like nothing, drop it in 5th to pass just about anyone, or to keep speed at an incline, it's a freeway monster,

Lost my window plastics, btw, serous cross wind, lol clips don't hold up to 90mph, and 80mph cross winds lol hahah,

Anyone have the hookup on the drivers idea window plastic and clips,

And a way to epoxy or doubles tick tape them. Lol

6th gear purring like a cat,

·
Registered
153 Posts
So, not to beat a dead horse into a pulp.... but I have a question regarding the 5-6 syncro sleeve set. Is the ENTIRE sleeve set necessary, or is it really only the brass syncro ring for 5th/6th that's needed, since that part seems to be the hangup? I have a bead on JUST the brass syncro ring without the rest of the set and am wondering if that would be enough for the swap (along with the other necessary parts), as it is considerably cheaper than the whole sleeve set. I understand it SHOULD be replaced as a set (and maybe I'm answering my own question here). Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Getting close. Just need to torque a couple bolts, measure shim thrust for mainshaft and differential, then seal it up. This was a 2WD converted to 4WD transmission and 6th gear added, along with full rebuild of the seals, bearings, and aynchros. Ended up having to replace 2nd gearset due to wear.

DDCB1BD8-8DB0-4818-9E6F-196ED0F31662.jpg

48005DC7-2C1F-41E6-9C30-303D18D90E97.jpg

184B3C57-8D5B-4BF9-988C-EB942F1E0FEA.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very cool.

Not quite a necro post but it seems unclear if you can get away without the 350 dollar synchronizer sleeve set 23626-PNS-315

Can anyone clarify?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Very cool.

Not quite a necro post but it seems unclear if you can get away without the 350 dollar synchronizer sleeve set 23626-PNS-315

Can anyone clarify?
it depends on when your vehicle was made. some early ones were better than later ones. some will work for awhile and then fail, as mine did 140K miles after the conversion. if you don't want to have to R&R the transmission a second time, get & use the synchro set.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mines an 04. One guy mentioned 5th gear popout without the new set. Did you have this experience?

There isnt a single part that can be used instead of the complete set?

140k is plenty long in my book.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Mines an 04. One guy mentioned 5th gear pop out without the new set. Did you have this experience?

There isnt a single part that can be used instead of the complete set?

140k is plenty long in my book.
mine is 2004 also. yes, it would pop out of gear. 6th gear was added at about 40K, and pop out started around 180K, vehicle is now approaching 240K.

and, as always, your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks a ton for all of your insight here.

Before 180k miles, did you have any pop out issues? The poster i was referring to mentioned pop out from 5th since day one.

Saving 350 seems like a good plan. I prefer to do it right, but if I do everything right Im going to spend money on a clutch I dont need, and a 900 dollar LSD I can live without. Project creep is quick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are there any other parts that would be wise to replace while the tranny is out? My car is about 102,000 miles so I will do the clutch.

Like syncho for gear 2-3 or some other parts that get more than typical wear? Or does that syncho sleeve set we discussed replace all of the synchos? Sorry not super well versed in manual transmission components. Haven't cracked one open.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Still love my 6th gear, couple thousand miles, and new struts later, my lunar shuttle cruzes 90 on the freeway like nothing, drop it in 5th to pass just about anyone, or to keep speed at an incline, it's a freeway monster,

Lost my window plastics, btw, serous cross wind, lol clips don't hold up to 90mph, and 80mph cross winds lol hahah,

Anyone have the hookup on the drivers idea window plastic and clips,

And a way to epoxy or doubles tick tape them. Lol

6th gear purring like a cat,
Howdy! I have had my 4WD manual shift for a year and digging it supremely! May I ask, what RPM do you run in 6th gear at 80 mph? Looking down and seeing 4k RPM gives me a little heartburn. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, (and at this point in life, I'm a little skeptical in general...) I think I'm at 3200rpm at 80mph in 6th gear...
The 4000rpm at 80mph mark is a nice familiar sight/sound...

I'm glad I did it... (and with all syncro bits)
Although if my off-road project ends up with a 6th gear (possible, may not be probable), I will likely put that syncro money elsewhere...

661 - 672 of 672 Posts