Honda Element Owners Club banner
681 - 700 of 703 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Element EX-S AWD 6MT = “Zippy”
467 Posts
Yes, the cost is certainly getting worse, for sure...
Availability may be the next problem...

Even though my project vehicle modification is still in the "To Be Completed" column, I ended up modifying Zippy's previously replaced interlock...
(aside: Why do I save junk? This is why!) I just couldn't get another factory piece, and the mod was pretty easy...
Pic below pretty clearly shows material removal as I was working down through it...

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Semi-Related to the 6MT:

I swapped out wheels and tires recently... (with BC Racing coilovers :geek:)

I went from:
stock EX wheels 225/70r16 Nokian (+2% in diameter over stock)

I went to:
stock SC wheels 235/50r18 Toyo (-1.5% in diameter under stock)

I am finding that I am using 6th gear quite a bit more than I used to... Just another point of data for anyone interested...

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
83 Posts
Kind of off topic but my search hasn’t led me to anything fruitful.

I have an 03 awd auto, are there any swaps I can do to keep both awd and auto but have either 5 or 6 speed transmission? My biggest concern would be ECU issues which I think may be a problem if I were to go with an 07 auto trans from an element.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I agree that swapping a newer 5-forward-gear automatic transmission with and older ECU (that also controls the 4-forward-gear automatic transmission) would be problematic.

I do not know of anything else that is possible in your situation for an automatic transmission swap...
(but I'm the kind of guy that prefers a box of gears and a third pedal... 🤷‍♂️ )

Brad

·
Registered
205 Posts
Honda Element 6 speed Manual Transmission Conversion

Part numbers supplied are from a 2006 Acura TSX 6MT
The identical parts could be obtained from a 2006 Civic Si 6MT, but the part numbers will be slightly different.

I recommend both of these manuals:
Helms Honda Element Manual
Helms Acura TSX Manual

- Shifter mechanism parts -
Reverse shift piece 24240-PNS-000
Shift arm interlock 24430-PNS-000 (or modify the old one)

5-6 gearshift fork 24201-RAS-000 NOTE: In at least one CRV and possibly in some later model Elements the Reverse shift piece may be welded to the Element's 5-Reverse shift fork, instead of being attached by a pin. In this case see step 3 below.

These parts are optional. The function of these parts hasn't been determined; however the transmission functions well without them. They may be necessary for reverse safety interlock.
  • MBS arm 24412-PNS-000
  • MBS arm spring 24413-PNS-000
  • - added by MikeQBF.
}

- Main shaft parts -
Mainshaft 6th gear 23590-RAS-A00
Needle Bearing (35 x 41 x 24) 91103-RAS-003
Collar (28 x 35 x 24) 23916-PNS-000
5-6 Synchronizer Sleeve Set 23626-PNS-315

- Countershaft parts -
Special bolt 90011-PPP-000
Countershaft 6th gear 23491-RAS-000

Procedure
Note: This is the procedure that I followed. This worked for me, however if there are mistakes or omissions I cannot be held responsible. There are several variations that will also work. Without proper experience it is possible to destroy the transmission if it is not reassembled correctly. It is important to inspect all parts and if there are any worn parts they should be replaced. Please use caution and common sense.

1. Following procedure in the Element Manual, remove the transmission. Note it is not necessary to remove the outboard joints of the driveshafts from the wheel hub. They can remain in place. Just remove the inboard joints from the transmission and intermediate shaft. Do remove the intermediate shaft.

2. Follow procedure in the Element Manual for disassembly of the transmission. Stop after the shifter and gearsets have been removed. Discard the reverse cam lock.

3. Drive out the pin connecting the reverse shift fork and the 5th gear shift fork. Discard the pin. Remove and discard the reverse shift fork. Replace with the new 6 speed reverse shift fork. In at least one CRV and possibly some later model Elements the reverse shift fork may be welded to the 5th gear shift fork (rather than attached by a connecting pin). In this case you must order the TSX 5-6 gearshift fork 24201-RAS-000. Use this shift fork as a replacement for the stock 5th gear shift fork.

4. Follow the procedure in the Element Manual for disassembly of the mainshaft. Remove the taper cone ring and associated distance collar, and discard. Remove 5th gear synchronizer, discard and stop. Follow the procedure in the Acura TSX manual for reassembly of the mainshaft. Press the new 5-6 synchronizer hub onto the mainshaft. Place the new collar and needle bearing on the mainshaft. Place the new mainshaft 6th gear over the needle bearing. Replace the ball bearing as directed.

5. Follow the procedure in the Element Manual for disassembly of the countershaft. The appropriate way to do this is to use a bearing puller and hydraulic press, but some people cheat. Other people find a local tranny shop may help with this step. Remove the special bolt (note - reverse threads). Remove the bearing, the shim, and the distance collar, then stop. Discard the special bolt and distance collar. Follow the procedure in the Acura TSX manual for reassembly of the mainshaft. Press the countershaft 6th gear onto the countershaft. Complete reassembly of the countershaft as directed.

6. Replace the shift arm interlock with the new interlock. Alternatively, the slot in the old shift arm interlock can be elongated by about 6mm (the width of the reverse select lever).

7. Follow procedure in the Element Manual for reassembly of the transmission. Do not re-install the reverse lock cam. Note: Be sure to install the speed sensor spacer (It is not a washer) in the correct order - Bolt, sensor, spacer, transmission.

8. Following procedure in the Element Manual, install the transmission.

9. Drive.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It’s already been done without switching the tranny I saw a YouTube video where all they did was added the extra 6th gear in the current tranny just gotta know what ur doing
Wasn’t that for a five speed to a six speed? Also was that a manual or an auto?

I have a four speed auto and I want either a five or a six speed auto.

I generally prefer manual transmissions but because of how I sit in the Element and the location of the shifter, a manual doesn’t look comfortable at all. Add to that that I am frequently in traffic and a manual becomes a chore.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, (and at this point in life, I'm a little skeptical in general...) I think I'm at 3200rpm at 80mph in 6th gear...
The 4000rpm at 80mph mark is a nice familiar sight/sound...

I'm glad I did it... (and with all syncro bits)
Although if my off-road project ends up with a 6th gear (possible, may not be probable), I will likely put that syncro money elsewhere...
Where are your RPM's at 65 mph in 6th, if you remember?

I've had occasion to drive the Element some distance on the highway and I'm to the point of investing in the 6MT swap or selling the car. I can't handle the wailing from the 5MT in 5th on the highway even at 65 mph, it sounds and feels painful.

Thanks

·
Registered
All stock
41 Posts
Based on my calculations, 65 mph = 2500 rpm. You can checkout the gear ratios in this link:K20a.org then play around with other speeds/gear/tire combinations using this online calculator Zeal Auto Werks
If you do allot of highway driving then this upgrade is totally worth the cost but be prepared to take a hit. I considered this option and it worked out to over $600 CDN (~$480 USD) from the local Honda stealership - not an "investment" per se. You may get the individual parts cheaper in your area. You may luck out and score a complete 6-speed donor MTX from a Acura TL or a later EP3 Civic Si. Scrap yards now want upwards of $900 CDN for these. But the cost is offset by saving a modest amount on fuel and the reducing personal driving fatigue assuming you don't use the extra gear to just drive faster - the laws of physics are not on your side. I don't do much highway driving so it just was not worth it for me. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Without knowing the specific 65mph rpm from memory, I would say that you're going to be about 80% of whatever you are now...
For example: (5th gear 4000rpm @80mph) * 80% = (6th gear 3200rpm @80mph)

I also seem to recall 4000rpm in 6th gear is about 100mph ( no judgment, right? 🤷‍♂️ )
So working my way backwards, I'm guessing around 2600rpm @65mph??

(Sounds like our Canadian friend @CanuckFixIt calculated a similar value as I was writing this... Thanks Bud!)

I will also say that if you need ANY form of acceleration at that velocity, you will likely need to be back in 5th gear...

Cheers!
Brad

Reactions: 888

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
yeah, seems about right, as mine is about 2700 at 70MPH in 6th.
I found this post a page or two back in this thread... another point of similar data...

I would like to sincerely thank @nacranym and the other early adopters of this idea...
( I tried to link @rhurt -- the Original Poster -- but his Last Seen date was 2014... 😕 )
One of my favorite reasons to keep coming back to EOC...

Cheers!
Brad

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the responses. My search for RPM didn't bring up that info for some reason.

The majority of my driving is back roads at anywhere from 55 to 65 mph, and of course, the highway is faster.

I also want to lower it like my previous E so it's not so topheavy handling wise. I like the car and probably won't find a nicer one but the math for the 6MT and suspension work isn't looking good.

·
Registered
All stock
41 Posts
The stock 5th gear is just fine at 55 to 65 mph on back roads where you may encounter sweepers and some hills to climb. This is the intended use for my E going on camping trips into northern Ontario with 300lb of gear. The 6th gear (assuming you choose the highest available for the k-series) probably won't pull at anything below 60 mph on an incline, let alone payload considerations. If you plan on allot of interstate driving then yeah, go for it. I'd like to know what your parts cost would be. The $600 CDN is parts only; all the labour is on me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm going to think about it a little bit before making the plunge but if I am going to keep the E, I'll almost have to do the 6th gear swap. The engine wailing/vibration at higher speeds seems to grate on my nerves. I've never driven a CR-V from that era, are they the same way?

I drove a NA diesel VW Rabbit with 52 hp for years, it had a 3 + E manual gearbox and E worked the same way as 6th on the Element, from the sound of it. E was used on flat ground to maintain speed, nothing more. My 2015 Golf TDI has a 6MT that will still pull at highway speeds in 6th but it is a turbo and has 100 more HP than the old Rabbit. Cost a bit more, as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The stock 5th gear is just fine at 55 to 65 mph on back roads where you may encounter sweepers and some hills to climb. This is the intended use for my E going on camping trips into northern Ontario with 300lb of gear. The 6th gear (assuming you choose the highest available for the k-series) probably won't pull at anything below 60 mph on an incline, let alone payload considerations. If you plan on allot of interstate driving then yeah, go for it. I'd like to know what your parts cost would be. The $600 CDN is parts only; all the labour is on me.
Here is current pricing for the list at the beginning of this thread via hondapartsnow.com in USD

- Shifter mechanism parts -
Reverse shift piece 24240-PNS-000 - $53.56
Shift arm interlock 24430-PNS-000 (or modify the old one) - $33.44

5-6 gearshift fork 24201-RAS-000 - $103.84

NOTE: In at least one CRV and possibly in some later model Elements the Reverse shift piece may be welded to the Element's 5-Reverse shift fork, instead of being attached by a pin. In this case see step 3 below.

These parts are optional. The function of these parts hasn't been determined; however the transmission functions well without them. They may be necessary for reverse safety interlock.
* MBS arm 24412-PNS-000 - $16.89
* MBS arm spring 24413-PNS-000 - $1.19
* - added by MikeQBF.
}

Mainshaft 6th gear 23590-RAS-A00 - $99.98
Needle Bearing (35 x 41 x 24) 91103-RAS-003 - $13.71
Collar (28 x 35 x 24) 23916-PNS-000 - $8.43
5-6 Synchronizer Sleeve Set 23626-PNS-315 - $411.44

- Countershaft parts -
Special bolt 90011-PPP-000 - $8.21
Countershaft 6th gear 23491-RAS-000 - $77.24

·
Registered
All stock
41 Posts
Interesting about the VW Rabbit. Diesel engines may not have allot of HP but do have lots of low-end torque. A real big gap between 3 and 4? So, it had 3 forward gears plus a tall 4th? If so and you liked that, then there is a solution for the E using the 5th gear from an Accord and a donor MTX from a Accord is cheap. It's on this forum. But beware, the E has a short 4th gear and the Accord 5th is real tall so you'll have to wind out your engine revs to get to it. Keep us up to date with your plans - we would love to hear from you.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Shift arm interlock 24430-PNS-000 (or modify the old one) - $33.44
Last time I looked for these parts (early-to-mid 2020), I purchased everything except for the 5-6 syncho set...
The above piece was the only one that I couldn't actually get shipped to me, and I tried several times, different vendors...
I still haven't torn down the K24A8 from the 2007 SC... so these parts are in a box...
If you find procuring this piece to be a hurdle... hit me up, I will exchange my modified one for your stock one.
Mine is pictured in post #681 above.

Anything I can do to help...
Brad

681 - 700 of 703 Posts