Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have an element where there is alot of snow or rain?
how does it do? how does the real time awd work for you?
do you find it to work the same as a true awd(working always)?

thanks
Dom

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,527 Posts
We get a LITTLE snow and rain in these parts, so, I figured I could chime in with a little experience. One caveat though - we do run studded tires in the winter, so, if you can't, take that with what is said.
I have been through two winters here, and have yet to really slip, slide, or even slightly lose control, no matter what the conditions. The RTAWD kicks in when called upon, with no lag or discernible noise, whether engaging or disengaging. Can't really compare to "regular" AWD as I've never really had one (all have been similar drive trains). The stock GYs are going to be replaced come spring, so, I expect better wet traction with a new set of shoes (pretty slim on tread with 34k).

Hope this helps.... :) :razz:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Michigan's not exactly known for its warm, tropical winters, either, but we legally cannot run tire chains or studded tires here.

That said, my Element has performed admirably in the winter.

My E is also 2wd and I'm still running my stock tires 57,000 miles later. I will get new tires before this winter, but in previous winters, the E did just fine.

Truth be told, if you are a competent driver, which admittedly is a rare quality, you don't need AWD to drive in 95 percent of weather conditions you'll encounter on the roads, and really, if you're dumb enough to go out in the other 5 percent, well, not my problem as I'll be home toasty and warm.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I live in the Detroit Metro Area in Michigan as well. I have the 4wd E and have had no issues. I still have the stock tires and am at 33k. I hope to replace them next year.

·
Registered
662 Posts
That I know of, the AWD feature has only come out of standby mode once. That was on a Tennessee road covered in black ice. The place that needs guard rails the most has very few. We went from almost sideways to pointing straight down the road under control. Then, for the next hour chanting "Check that out---did you see that?" and , of course, stopping at the next available place to clean underwear.:rolleyes:

That was $1500 well spent. We may never use it again, but we know it is there just in case. :D

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
We have several threads that address this subject. I did a quick search that came up with about 10 threads that held information that may interest you.

Try this one or This one for starters.

Dom

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i am from BC canada, so we do get rain here, and come winter we get snow, i just sold my 99 gmc jimmy 4x4, and ill tell you that there was NO problem with the 4wd, i just dont want to go from that to the element and be let down :-( i do like to go out in the snow, i hate staying home ;-)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow thats a long thread, i am aware of all that.
i am not looking to do any off roading only when the snow comes, is that when i am worried.
should i stick with a awd murano than the kick on kick off 4wd element?

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you are looking for a full time 4wd, what about a Subaru?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live just south of detroit. The first time i drove my awd 07 5sp E I was severly disappointed.
You cant have any fun in this thing at all it is like its glued to the road. Sure you can turn the traction control off but this thing still wont slide or fishtail worth a ****.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Dom, fill in your profile. It's easier for members to give you relevant responses if they know where you are and on what you will be driving.

The Element is not an offroad vehicle like a Jeep or Hummer. It is on-demand AWD, not symmetrical AWD like Subaru. It can be used for mild offroading, but its AWD is not 4WD. Its limited ground clearance is a bigger limiting factor for snow driving than the drivetrain.

If you drive on the road, the AWD should keep you moving and in control on open roads in snow when FWD and RWD cars are struggling. The all season tires that come on the Element may not be adequate if you are in on the edge of the temperate zone or can expect frequent heavy snowfalls or tropical rains (8" or more at a time).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just cant see the rtawd being working that great in snow, slush...
but i guess once your moving your good, its that start up and that is where the rtawd comes in..

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
i just cant see the rtawd being working that great in snow, slush...
but i guess once your moving your good, its that start up and that is where the rtawd comes in..
Actually, you don't have to be moving, the RT engagement works by sensing that your front wheels don't have traction. As soon you start up, if the front wheels start to slip, the rear wheel will engage. The Element has a and it has a wide wheelbase and a solid ride to start with, adding AWD gives it a very nice weight distribution (56:44 unloaded).

One thing inexperienced drivers don't realize, is that that it doesn't matter how well your vehicle is able to start or keep moving in snow or slush - if your tires don't have enough collective traction to STOP you.

Yuu should repost your question in the "Canadian Elements Eh?" section for their experiences, and do a forum search for "AWD and snow"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts