Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday evening I made yet another rescue run. I pulled the first saint from a kill shelter about 5pm, and was driving to meet up with another transport to pick another saint up.

Anyway, as fate would have it, my decision to buy an element because it would be 'easy' to clean became very evident. Lets' just say this 'new' guy way not quite shall we say "car trained"... :roll:

I'm not sure if I should be happy that my choice of vehicles was correct, or mad at myself for not loading the boy up till we had "successfully eliminated any waste products"... :shock:

For future reference, Nature's Miracle, a bucket, a bag of rags, and two gallon jugs of water, and a roll of paper towels are now included in the "what's in the back of your E".

For what it's worth, sometimes I do wish you could hose the E out... :shock::twisted::-o

·
Registered
340 Posts
bh241 said:
Yesterday evening I made yet another rescue run. I pulled the first saint from a kill shelter about 5pm, and was driving to meet up with another transport to pick another saint up.

Anyway, as fate would have it, my decision to buy an element because it would be 'easy' to clean became very evident. Lets' just say this 'new' guy way not quite shall we say "car trained"... :roll:

I'm not sure if I should be happy that my choice of vehicles was correct, or mad at myself for not loading the boy up till we had "successfully eliminated any waste products"... :shock:

For future reference, Nature's Miracle, a bucket, a bag of rags, and two gallon jugs of water, and a roll of paper towels are now included in the "what's in the back of your E".

For what it's worth, sometimes I do wish you could hose the E out... :shock::twisted::-o
No good deed goes unpunished :rolleyes: Good for you anyway...

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A sad ending to this story

The dog I spoke about in the first post in this thread was named "Moose" by our rescue. He was at the vets first thing Monday for his routine vet work and checkup. Because the rescue director had some questions about his gait, a series of xrays were also ordered.

These showed an alarming amount of damage to this dogs pelvis and both hips. We were immediatly contacted by the vets office for consultation before any further work was done to the dog.

In talking with the vets we learned his pelvis injury is massive. The pelvis is completely shattered, there is a partial hip socket on the right side, none at all on the left. The pelvis itself is broken in several places and is actually constricting the dogs rectum and large intestine.

His left 'hip' is situated about 1/4 of an inch away from his spine, the only thing supporting his weight on the left side is muscle. There is no functional hip at all.

No one is certain, but the vets feel that the injury was caused by an automobile actually running over the dogs hindquarter, destroying both hips and his pelvis. They estimated the injury happening over a year ago due to the severe arthritis that has set up.

We discussed the avenues that the vets feel were feasible, but in reality there were none. We discussed the possibility of having hip replacement surgery, but were advised the pelvis is destroyed so bad that there would have to be reconstructive surgery to the pelvis before the hip replacement would be possible. There are so many bone fragments they are uncertain about the feasibility of his pelvis ever supporting his weight.

It's with a very sad heart that I tell you this guy's fate. I cannot understand how anyone could do something like this to a beautiful dog, much less how anyone could ignore a dog that had to be is so much pain for so long... why could some one not take the time to take this dog to a vet? Why did he have to suffer for so long?

I'm so disappointed about this, because I know Moose is living in excruciating pain, yet he is a very loving saint.

Sadly, I agreed that Moose will end his suffering and be humanely euthanized tomorrow afternoon. Our rescue director will be with him as he passes from this world.

Godspeed Mr. Moose. It was truly an honor to have met you.

RIP "Moose"
moose.jpg

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is why animal services work can be so hard on the people who take on this labor of love. The human capacity for heartlessness and cruelty to these wonderful creatures is something that's impossible to understand. Not everyone who walks upright is fully human. No other way to explain it.

For every animal like Moose we know about, there are many more who never have a compassionate person to end their suffering. At least his pain will end and it will be with people who care for him. It's not much consolation, but this is often the best we can do.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bless you for caring about these animals. Never will I understand how some people can stand by while animals suffer so much.

·
Registered
339 Posts
bh241,

Bless you for having the intellectual integrity to do what is appropriate.

I'm confident that the big dog guy in the sky understands.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Moose/Animal Rescue

Brought tears to my eyes. Tough call, but it takes courage and conviction to make the tough calls. Godspeed.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Rescue is very rewarding, but these situations are so sad. We had a young girl named Priscilla that had broken legs that were never set properly, we highly suspected abuse (so hard to prove), but after surgeries to break and restraighten the legs, nothing more could be done and the bones were no longer growing together and they finally had to put poor Priscilla to sleep. Her foster mom was with her and it was very hard on her. I would post a picture of how she looked when she came into rescue, but it truly is painful just to even look at.

I am sorry for your loss:sad:

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
These are truly sad stories and I know how are hearts go out to these animals. My lab rottie mix that just died was a rescue dog. It sickens me to see what we see done by humans to animals. Their neglect, their total irresponsible behavior......I respect all you folks that give of your time to help the animals.

always,
jurn

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Moose's suffering breaks my heart. You did the best, humane thing that you could do. Moose will no longer suffer from what I am sure must be great pain and he knew-- if even for a little while-- that he was wanted and loved.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Benny, YOU ARE AWESOME

Hi, this is Kerri we spoke a while back, I gave monies for Molly! I haven't gotten an update lately, but I'm sure she's doing fine! I'm glad to see you around here!

Dude, you rock for what you do!!

E ON!

Kerri, Kacie (Pittie), Atlas (OEM) and Angus (Pittie)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
bh241 said:

RIP "Moose"
View attachment 29577
How sad for Moose. It breaks my heart to read stuff like this. But what little I know of you and your group, He'll not cross without knowing some kind of human compassion and love!

Indeed, Godspeed Moose. You will not be alone ever again!

Kerri, Kacie, Atlas, and Angus

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LmentalMastiffs said:
Hi, this is Kerri we spoke a while back, I gave monies for Molly! I haven't gotten an update lately, but I'm sure she's doing fine! I'm glad to see you around here!

Dude, you rock for what you do!!

E ON!

Kerri, Kacie (Pittie), Atlas (OEM) and Angus (Pittie)
Molly is, well she's hanging in there. It's being one major roller coaster ride with her. She's about in the middle of her heartworm treatments now, it's taking a tremendous toll on her. We have had to go with a very conservative treatment course with her because of her overall condition.

I haven't send an update out this month - waiting to see how the next few days go. It's right now in one of those very dangerous stages. I'll get an update out next week to everyone.

As always, the latest info is available on the rescue's urgent needs section of the website. Thanks for thinking of her, she has so many angles out there looking over her, I'm certain she will recover.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Rocket Dog said:
I'm driving two Australian Shepherd puppies on Sat, from Emporia to Richmond, for the rescue society. :)
Awesome! ................

·
Registered
74 Posts
bh241 said:
The dog I spoke about in the first post in this thread was named "Moose" by our rescue. He was at the vets first thing Monday for his routine vet work and checkup. Because the rescue director had some questions about his gait, a series of xrays were also ordered.

These showed an alarming amount of damage to this dogs pelvis and both hips. We were immediatly contacted by the vets office for consultation before any further work was done to the dog.

In talking with the vets we learned his pelvis injury is massive. The pelvis is completely shattered, there is a partial hip socket on the right side, none at all on the left. The pelvis itself is broken in several places and is actually constricting the dogs rectum and large intestine.

His left 'hip' is situated about 1/4 of an inch away from his spine, the only thing supporting his weight on the left side is muscle. There is no functional hip at all.

No one is certain, but the vets feel that the injury was caused by an automobile actually running over the dogs hindquarter, destroying both hips and his pelvis. They estimated the injury happening over a year ago due to the severe arthritis that has set up.

We discussed the avenues that the vets feel were feasible, but in reality there were none. We discussed the possibility of having hip replacement surgery, but were advised the pelvis is destroyed so bad that there would have to be reconstructive surgery to the pelvis before the hip replacement would be possible. There are so many bone fragments they are uncertain about the feasibility of his pelvis ever supporting his weight.

It's with a very sad heart that I tell you this guy's fate. I cannot understand how anyone could do something like this to a beautiful dog, much less how anyone could ignore a dog that had to be is so much pain for so long... why could some one not take the time to take this dog to a vet? Why did he have to suffer for so long?

I'm so disappointed about this, because I know Moose is living in excruciating pain, yet he is a very loving saint.

Sadly, I agreed that Moose will end his suffering and be humanely euthanized tomorrow afternoon. Our rescue director will be with him as he passes from this world.

RIP "Moose"
View attachment 29577
That's so sad.
But at least someone who cared about him was with him at the end. You did try to save him and that counts a whole lot in my book.
Rescue people are good people.

Rocket Dog said:
I'm driving two Australian Shepherd puppies on Sat, from Emporia to Richmond, for the rescue society. :)
Good job :)
I have an Aussie (lethal white) and have finally gotten to a position where I can help with rescue transports.
Since I can't adopt or foster any at the moment. :-(

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm a dog lover, and I've had dogs all my life (25 years), but I just don't get one thing maybe you can help. I think the reason people don't care for their pets or take them to the vet is because the vet is the biggest rip off I know, besides human health care. I took my pug to the vet because he got stung by a bee and swelled up like a beach ball. In the end they gave him some benadryll and "watched" him for 4 hours then charged me $300+$65 office visit. I could have easily bought a box of benadrull for $10 and been done with it.

I see this dog was suffering, if someone wanted to put it out of its misery and didn't want to go to the vet and get raped, there is no alternative. If it only cost $30 to put a dog down, more people would do it to ailing pets and unwated animals that eventually end up in the pound.

So my question, why are vets such a rip off. They are A reason so much bad stuff happens to these animals.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JusG19 said:
I'm a dog lover, and I've had dogs all my life (25 years), but I just don't get one thing maybe you can help. I think the reason people don't care for their pets or take them to the vet is because the vet is the biggest rip off I know, besides human health care. I took my pug to the vet because he got stung by a bee and swelled up like a beach ball. In the end they gave him some benadryll and "watched" him for 4 hours then charged me $300+$65 office visit. I could have easily bought a box of benadrull for $10 and been done with it.

I see this dog was suffering, if someone wanted to put it out of its misery and didn't want to go to the vet and get raped, there is no alternative. If it only cost $30 to put a dog down, more people would do it to ailing pets and unwated animals that eventually end up in the pound.

So my question, why are vets such a rip off. They are A reason so much bad stuff happens to these animals.
It's my guess is that you need to find a different vet or seriously reconsider the whole dog lover statement.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts