Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay. We have been getting the Element ready for the SEMA show in Las Vegas, Nov. 4 -7, 2003. We are currently calling sponsors and anyone
who is interested in displaying their products. Anyway the exhaust system information
is here. It is a two-piece system that can be installed with some basic tools. It uses all of the stock hanger locations and bolts right up to the catback using the same flange/bolts. Thanks for waiting.

Element Catback Exhaust System
All tests done using the Beltronics Vector FX2 (www.beltronics.com/fx.html)
Test results:
Almost a full second off the 1/4 mile time.
8-13 horsepower gain.
2-3 city / 3-4 hwy miles per gallon gain.

System Features:
Each system is custom/handmade in the U.S.A.
Custom designed, engineered and manufactured by HyTech (www.hytechexhaust.com)for the Honda Element engine.
Aerospace quality 304 stainless steel 2.5” dia tubing throughout.
Double bypass acoustic muffler. Built from 304-polished stainless steel. Tig welded for superior strength and appearance. Casing diameter is 10 inches and is a full 2 1/2 inches all the way through. The quietest muffler available on the market without any power loss. All mandrel bends, tig welds, precise fit flanges and mounting hangers (original locations).
Install the system yourself using all stock locations. No cutting, welding or special Hardware/equipment needed.
17” (3.5” dia.) polished stainless steel tailpipe with angle cut at end.

This price includes everything you need to completely bolt on the system.
Price: $875.00 (does not include shipping or tax)

For photos: http://www.hondasuv.com/forum_element/viewtopic.php?t=966

Thanks,

SurfCity :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will have the exhaust system on the Element
at the Driftoff in Irwindale Oct 12 if anyone wants to see/hear it.

SurfCity

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>Price: $875.00

It's not my intent to be a stick-in-the-mud, Surf, but what is it that makes this exhaust system worth double the price of a comparable system from, say, Borla? Not that Borla has one or is going to (they never did one for the CRV), but SS bolt-ons for small SUVs already have a benchmark in the $400-450 range.

Being the only option currently available obviously does have some cachet here, but... well... that's a lot of money for a cat-back system. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
:shock:

Yeah... the price is pretty steep. So are the expected HP and MPG gains.
I've never seen an exhaust system produce those kind of gains in the
real world, unless it was installed along with an intake, or other mods.

Dyno numbers will provide the proof I guess.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I hate to agree with most of the responses when it comes to the amount of money and claimed HP.....I had a custom catback made by Magnaflow 2.25" pipe..( not polished but..really.... :roll: ) and a Magnaflow exhaust along with a resonator all for $350 on my previous car....and now I see the Element with basically the same type of exhaust for $500 more....wow..and I had my car dynoed and the gains were almost 4 ponies...
:( ..ooh well I'll keep reading.......

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
In a little bit of defense of Surf's company (and the hard work) here, after doing some research I've discovered that prices in the performance aftermarket for Honda vehicles tend to run high to begin with, although not that high.

For example, the only "bolt on" exhaust I found for the CRV ran $600-650 from most suppliers. This may have something to do with the market for the CRV - frankly, primarily young female - and therefore there is a much smaller number of prospective sales. So you have to price higher to recoup your engineering and setup costs. Seeing that the target demo for the E is young males, hopefully this will change.

I agree that the "8-13 HP" and mileage claims are optimistic. I will cut some slack here because 5% gains (8 HP) are reasonable when compared against a consumer-oriented (i.e., whisper quiet) exhaust system, with the implicit restriction, but 10-20% improvement in MPG?... nah, that's teetering on the edge of failing the "reasonability test".

:?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think it is admirable that most everyone here is trying to be objective. Personally I find the price and performance gains on the high side. Especially considering the exhaust path looks like it takes a U-turn by the muffler? I thought the whole idea is to provide high flow and low back pressure? I am really confused by the design and pricing decisions on this one.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Hey Mike, not trying to be negative, but I am a young girl and I own an Element and I am making a few modifications on my E. Just dont stereotype us all, K?

:shock:

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>Just dont stereotype us all, K?

No stereotyping implied, lae. My s.o. also likes the performance tweaks on her ride, too - she requested the Koni struts, not I! But, honestly, both of you are the exception rather than the rule, yes?

P.C. or not, demographics of a vehicle are an extremely important issue to aftermarket performance manufacturers. F'rinstance, you would go broke very quickly trying to make a market out of header/exhaust packages for Chrysler minivans, or Cadillac Devilles.

:roll:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Issue is noise!
I would hate looking and acting a fool with loud exaust.
They are obnoxious to the general public (Dont get me started with the Harley crowd)

I would be very interested if it was
1. Nice looking (i.e. not a huge tube out the back all polished and gawdy)
2. Quiet
3. Helped the MPG or all around performance

I once was younger and attributed noise to power

·
Registered
245 Posts
[quote:7cdd3ef818="isdkelly"]Issue is noise!
I would hate looking and acting a fool with loud exaust.
They are obnoxious to the general public (Dont get me started with the Harley crowd)

I would be very interested if it was
1. Nice looking (i.e. not a huge tube out the back all polished and gawdy)
2. Quiet
3. Helped the MPG or all around performance

I once was younger and attributed noise to power[/quote:7cdd3ef818]

My point also....I have not done an exhaust mod on my RSX-S for the same reason....with the cold air intake both my vehicles sound great, the performance is noticeable, the mpg went up and there is no noise...or should I say constant noise....as far as the gains in HP???...I didn't notice it on my Civic Si when I installed the Magnaflow catback...as much as I noticed the noise....but the dyno showed 4 HP difference before the install and after

But I'm here to point out that the price is a bit too high for what you gain, unless your're planning on showing your vehicle more than having it be a daily ride....

·
Registered
5 Posts
[quote:4b3b8b49f2=" "]>Price: $875.00

It's not my intent to be a stick-in-the-mud, Surf, but what is it that makes this exhaust system worth double the price of a comparable system from, say, Borla? Not that Borla has one or is going to (they never did one for the CRV), but SS bolt-ons for small SUVs already have a benchmark in the $400-450 range.

Being the only option currently available obviously does have some cachet here, but... well... that's a lot of money for a cat-back system. :([/quote:4b3b8b49f2]

Hi,

This is David Borla of Borla Exhaust. We manufacture high performance, T304 stainless steel, aftermarket exhaust systems with a million mile, no-hassle warranty. I noticed that some of you are unhappy with the durability of your stock exhaust system and I was wondering if there is a demand for a better performing and more durable aftermarket exhaust for the Element. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>Please let me know your thoughts.

My credit card number is... :wink:

Seriously, I'm interested. The one consideration you will want to make in engineering for the Element is that the 5-speed has a higher "cruise" RPM than the automatic: 70 mph = 3500 rpm, versus ~3000 for the auto.

I have no problem with exhaust noise when getting into it, but I'd like to avoid drone during level cruising.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm putting on over 18k miles a year. I'd be interested in a system from Borla as well. Anything that will help out the MPG and make my driving more fun is always welcome.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm also in the market to improve performance and save a few bucks at the same time. Reasonable improvement in MPG and power at a reasonable cost = value. Sign me up today, I'm ready.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts