Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finally someone else connected the dots !!!

Correcto Mundo ! The E motor engine management (PGFM) is same as Accord iVtec 4 and is able to benefit from high octane gas. To my knowledge CRV motor cannot.

Motor Trend comparo test of Camry, Accord and Altima 4 cyls showed Accord beat Altima (perrenial grudge match) to 60 - 8.5 & 8.7 respectively with their 5 spd and 4 spd autos. This was with Accord running regular 87 octane gas.....so a 160 hp Accord (100 lb heavier) was quicker than a 175 hp Altima...!? Even with the 5spd auto that's a lot of hp to makeup. Furthermore, Honda engineers have stated that the Accord iVtec motor is good for another 10 hp with 93 octane octane !

I ran "CarTest 2000" with the Element MotorWeek numbers of 8.1 sec to 60 for the 5spd FWD and came up with 188 hp & 183 lbf tq. I suspect MW ran with 93 octane as 8.1 to 60 and 16.3 to quarter is quicker than CRV.

So from this info and other test data, the E is putting out about 175 hp already with regular, and with 93 octane, more like 185 hp/tq

:D

·
Registered
504 Posts
Can somebody please cut and paste the article? I registered but temporarily can't get to my email to activate it. This sounds extremely interesting.

·
Registered
222 Posts
gaaaaaaaaaaah! damn you! I thought I was gonna save money at the pump. My VW takes premium only, and now I guess my E will only take premium too :twisted:

Oh well, at least I won't get confused at the filling station and put 87 in my Passat again. This is great news!

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote:b864528cd2="moonkat2"]Furthermore, Honda engineers have stated that the Accord iVtec motor is good for another 10 hp with 93 octane octane !
:D[/quote:b864528cd2]
Can you put up a link confirming this?

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
280 Posts
Actually, the Honda Owner Link site specifically states that using a higher octane fuel than that recommended for your engine will not improve performance.

To quote:
Does it help to use a fuel with a higher octane rating than required in my Owner's Manual?
Refer to your Owner's Manual for the pump octane number recommended for your Honda. Use of a lower-octane gasoline than recommended can cause a persistent, heavy metallic rapping noise in the engine that can lead to mechanical damage.
Using more expensive, higher-octane fuel will not increase your vehicle's performance or longevity. It only increases the cost of operating your vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Accord iVtec 4 cyl - K24 motor:
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=80004

300 hp RSX K20 motor - coming to a K24 near you !
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=101836

BTW:
All you E owners need to do butt-dynos....
just run your tank to empty then fill with 93+ octane and run around for a while...
See if that doesn't feel like more power !
If you can feel it, it's got to be 10hp/10lbf tq min.
I can feel it with my 99 Ody and on regular feels like I'm missing a gear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I filled up three days ago with high octane (93) and with a pretty empty tank. Today coming home from work, driving as usual I noticed an improved acceleration!! The more I tuned in to what was happening it was more noticable and improved performance was definitely better. I feel we are on to something. Please try it and respond.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just left my billiards league and not even thinking about the engine response drove as usual. The response was overwhelming. More response!!! And more acceleration. Is this for real???

·
Registered
894 Posts
OK, better performance....but is there a corresponding rise in mileage to offset the increased cost?

·
Registered
14 Posts
elementary:
Good for you. Enjoy!
I think you are primarily appreciating increased torque. That's how it is with my 99 Ody. Makes the wide-ratio 4spd auto trans a lot more responsive.
Just another option. YMMV

iskie....
Third law of thermodynamics (or something like that):
"No such thing as a free lunch ..."

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Moonkat,
Begs the question. Are all Honda/Acura engines underated? Is Element engine closer to the 200 hp TSX engine than we thought. It requires premium fuel. Is it underated also or just on the line? Is this to convince TSX customers they are getting much more for their money?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ropedart:
For whatever motives, Honda has always been conservative in performance claims. It could be due to insurance concerns, or that performance sells to a small percentage of their customers, but the majority prefer the performance without the reputation.....whatever. With the O3 Hondas, the E, Accord 4 & 6, Pilot, Ody....they have reached new heights (depths ?) of underestimating performance.

Also, there is the crediblity issue. How many would have believed a few years ago that a 2.0 L motor would put out 240 hp until the S2K ? At that time, I called the motor "historical", and Honda magicians when it came to engine design.

The Acura part of Honda is actively marketing performance and their customers expect to get what they pay for. While I believe the K24 in the E makes 180+ hp/tq, I'm sure the TSX makes the claimed 200 hp.

An excellent source of Honda/Acura info is temple of Vtec (vtecnet.com) made all the more interesting with founder Jeff Palmer buying an E for himself (trading a TL-S no less). Abundant dyno tests/reviews of V6s & iVtec Accords & TSXs. You''ll see the TSX dynos better than E's K24 but the E has a lot of potentional even without forced induction.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, I checked my mileage after a week and 325 miles on 93 octane and guess what? My mileage went from 21/22 to 23.65! . Not enough to keep my attention so filled it up with regular. I think that I was imagining increased performence. oh well. later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Higher octane fuel is designed for higher compression engines or forced induction engines. It has a higher flash point so you will not get detonation, a big enemy of high performance engines. The compression ratio in the Element is 9.7 - 1, a relatively low compression ratio that definitely does not need the benefit of high octane fuel.
Like Honda says, you are spending more money on fuel for little or no gain.

·
Registered
84 Posts
[quote:45686012ce="austingroovin"]Higher octane fuel is designed for higher compression engines or forced induction engines. It has a higher flash point so you will not get detonation, a big enemy of high performance engines. The compression ratio in the Element is 9.7 - 1, a relatively low compression ratio that definitely does not need the benefit of high octane fuel.
Like Honda says, you are spending more money on fuel for little or no gain.[/quote:45686012ce]

Lots of people think higher octane means more, sort of, "explosive goop" in the gas. Actually it is conceptually the exact opposite. Higher compression requires fuel that, like you say, has a HIGHER flash point--has LESS willingness to explode, as it were. Those who claim to experience more horsepower from higher octane are experiencing a placebo effect. Much like my wife, who always feels like her car runs better after she has it washed.

For my part, I do tend to order the middle grade because we live in a hilly area and if I got a bad tank of fuel the piston knock would make me crazy.

yelapa
Eternal Blue Pearl EX

1 - 20 of 30 Posts