Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get rid of my 2005 and I'm considering an Element because I think they look great and are very functional. I was going to go out tomorrow but due to weather conditions, that won't be possible. I do have some questions though:

1. Is the Element big and tall friendly? I am 6"5 and 290 and I'm wondering how the fit will be, especially around my shoulders. Any other big and tall guys here willing to set me straight?

2. Also, is there a significant difference between the 2007 from the 2006's. The seems to be a drop off in prices that would warrant a big change? Is this correct.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice - I really don't want to have to get a Chevy Tahoe.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
1. I'm 6'6" 220lbs and it's the best fitting car I've ever sat in. I have at least 8" of head room. I've read on this forum that some taller guys have problems with where to put their right leg, but personally I've never had this problem.

2. I'm not sure about this one, there are no major design changes. Maybe the price gap was between a painted-panel model and a non-painted-panel model. You may want to check and see when the seatbelt location changed too. The earlier models have the seatbelt mounted on the door. The newer design has it mounted on the shoulder of the front seat. I've heard that this is an issue for taller people.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's the best for tall guys

6'6"/245 here and let me tell ya there isn't another vehicle out there made for tall guys that gets decent gas mileage. I've sat in a Tahoe and I have more headroom in my Element than ANY OTHER SUV. I've tried 'em all.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I'm not big or tall, so I cant comment on the first question. The second is yes, there are changes from 06 to 07. If you are looking at an automatic transmission it goes from a 4AT to a 5AT, you will get an extra 10hp, seatbelts in the seats, side curtain airbags, Vehicle Stability Assist, tire pressure monitoring system, and a few other things I cant remember right now. Check out Ramblerdan's link in his signature to his webpage that lists all the model years and changes. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Muttster,

The Element has outstanding headroom and adequate shoulder and hip room for a big/tall guy. The legroom is marginal, but it's possible to extend the tracks to solve this.

The EX seats changed in 2007, not for the better IMO. Test-drive a 2010 to get a sense of the 07-up seats.

2003-06:
* Shoulder harness (mounted in the B pillar) has height adjustment
* Entire driver's seat adjusts up and down
* Seat back folds forward (good for camping)

2007-10:
* Shoulder harness (mounted in the seat back) not adjustable
* Seat bottom adjusts up and down, but the back remains the same. Thus if you raise the seat to maximum height for best visibility, you may find the shoulder harness is too low, and the lumbar support as well.
* Seat back does not fold forward

That having been said, the 07-10 seats do have better lumbar support and bolster, so for average-size people they're could be better than the 03-06 seats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
6'3" here (with the torso of someone 6'7") and 400+lbs. The Element is BY FAR the most comfortable SUV I sat in. I tried numerous...Trailblazer, RX330, X5, MDX, Envoy, Vue. Strangely, the Equinox was the 2nd most comfortable.

I have a 2006 EX-P and the leg and "belly" room are tight, but doable. There is decent butt room if the armrest is up, but snug when it is down. The shoulder room is fine too. And, the seatbelt fits me, which is something I can't say about my Sebring convert.

You won't be disappointed with The E!

·
Registered
222 Posts
6'4" 198# Bats right, throws right.
The E is an amazing fit for tall guys. I was in my friends F-150 and the new cab is huge and comfy but that's a different animal.
My right knee bone was uncomfortable resting against the center console on the E, so I glued a big mouse pad to it and that cured that.
LOVE the headroom.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm not as tall as the other guys but I got 'em beat on weight! lol I'm 6'1" and 350 lbs and have had an '06 and currently an '09. I have to say I am comfortable in both models so when you go for a test drive I don't think you will be unhappy! You'll LOVE it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
6'5", 215 lbs....and agree with all of the other "biggens"! Took a couple of days to get used to the seat mounted shoulder harness, but that wasen't because it was uncomfortable, just different. The leg room is less than the Accord I had, but has not been a problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
six-foot-two and two-twenty-five and the E still has pleanty of room for me to grow. :-D I had an '04 and currently an '08. I have to say I like the seats on the '08 better. Now I don't have to take my damn seat belt off to let the folks in the back seat out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When comparing height with others you need to know and consider how another person is built, ie are they longer in torso or leg length. A lot of tall people have more leg than torso, I am only 6'2" but have a 35"+ inseam so am fairly equally divided. I suspect that you will fit an Element well as I have plenty of space above my head though you are heaver the seats have extra room I do not need.

I am looking to get rid of my 2005 and I'm considering an Element because I think they look great and are very functional. I was going to go out tomorrow but due to weather conditions, that won't be possible. I do have some questions though:

1. Is the Element big and tall friendly? I am 6"5 and 290 and I'm wondering how the fit will be, especially around my shoulders. Any other big and tall guys here willing to set me straight?

2. Also, is there a significant difference between the 2007 from the 2006's. The seems to be a drop off in prices that would warrant a big change? Is this correct.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice - I really don't want to have to get a Chevy Tahoe.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'm 6 ft 3" and 425lbs with a 34 inch inseam.

Can't drive an '07 and up due to the seat belt being too tight across my wide and thick shoulders-plus the belt is at least 5 inches shorter than the '03 to '06. and Honda does NOT offer extensions.

Tons of shoulder and head room, but I have trouble with my right knee being jammed into the center console. Annoying-but not enough to keep me form driving one.

I also own a 2009 Subaru Forester, which is just as big guy friendly. Has about 2 inches more leg room but 2 inches less width. My only real problem with fitting in the Subaru is my size 14 E feet in the narrow pedal area with my M/T. (I had to remove the dead pedal to have foot width clearance on the clutch pedal)

Other than full size domestic pick-up trucks, the Element and the new model Forester are the best fitting, practical big guy vehicles on the road.

·
Registered
428 Posts
2. Also, is there a significant difference between the 2007 from the 2006's.
Don't forget about side curtain airbags with rollover sensor starting 2007.

This is some technical info from Ridgeline's with regarding side curtain airbags with rollover sensor.
"Designed to deploy from the headliner, the side curtain airbag inflates in about 20 milliseconds (0.020 seconds), and stays inflated for up to 4 seconds. This increases the level of protection for outboard passengers in the event of a rollover or significant side impact collision"

Starting 2007 both side curtain with rollover sensor & side airbag are standard for all Element.
Here is side impact w/o side curtain & side airbag.
Here is side impact w side curtain & side airbag.

The flying glasses & rear passenger's head into glasses, for one w/o, is really scary.:twisted:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was able to try out a 2007 SC - the head room was great, the legroom length was tolerable but it seems that the seat sits high and my thighs were resting on the steering wheel and the headrest was jabbing into my shoulders. I tried to adjust the seat but it didn't seem to want to go any lower. Is there such a thing as power seats on an Element and can the headrest be moved up so it is protecting my neck and not my shoulders? My salesman was of little help so I'm hoping that the experts here can help.

Do all Elements have seats like this or is it just this model? Should I try a 2006 instead? Save me from the Tahoe...

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm 6'0" and 280# with a 54" chest. Plenty of head room, seat is firm and fits my lumbar perfect. The seat belt was diggin' into my neck, so I got one of those sheepskin things for it and that solved the problem. I agree on the arm rest, when it's down I have more room between the drivers door and my waist than I do on the flip down arm rest side, so I normally leave it up. My right leg has no issues, but my left knee hits right at the apex of where the drivers door storage ends. A little annoying, but I adjust where I rest my foot to compensate.

·
Registered
2003 Orange EX Element, 130K miles!
19 Posts
6'6", 230 lbs, 34 inseam, 36 waist -- mind you, I've only had my '04 EX AT for less than a week now, but I find it pretty comfortable. WAY headroom, my knees are about 2' max from the dash, but so far not a problem. Very easy to get in/out of.
Haven't had the problem with my right knee hitting the console, but I would say that the left foot rest is a little small and feels slanted somehow. Not quite comfortable. I would also say that my right elbow sets a bit far out than the tiny drivers armrest. I may soon opt to replace that with the wider style rest I've seen here.

·
Registered
730 Posts
six-foot-two and two-twenty-five and the E still has pleanty of room for me to grow. :-D I had an '04 and currently an '08. I have to say I like the seats on the '08 better. Now I don't have to take my damn seat belt off to let the folks in the back seat out.
I'm with you on this one brother!!!! 8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
When my dad test drove an E to decide if he wanted to get me one, he loved the room it had. He's 6'4" and 220 lbs... was amazed at how much head room he had compared to his Volkswagen Toureg.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Is there such a thing as power seats on an Element
Not from the factory, and I haven't heard of anyone doing this mod.

2007 SC ... can the headrest be moved up so it is protecting my neck and not my shoulders?
Yes. (But it sounds like the seat bottom was raised to its full height.)

Do all Elements have seats like this or is it just this model? Should I try a 2006 instead?
Please see post #6 above.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts