Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am intersted in buying an Element, but can only find them for sale in the US. I know they were made there and also sold in Japan, but where they sold in any other market around the World? I need a right hand drive model. Can anyone give me info on this?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
^ I understand why this thread is here. Japan had right-hand drive models.

I had this conversation once with an E owner who was looking to move to Australia. He was going to have to buy a used Element in Japan if he wanted to keep his car.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Unfortunately the Element was only sold in 3 markets; US, Canada and Japan. Honda has stopped exporting the Element to Japan.

I believe your best bet to purchaing an Element is by importing either a used one or a left-over model from Japan.

In Europe there are a number of companies that are importing them in from Canada and then selling them.

As for why this post is in the Element Owners in Japan forum, it makes the most sense. He lives in New Zealand and Japan is the closest location to where he lives. I only created forums for where we knew Elements were located and we don't know of any being "Down Under".

Good luck in your quest for an Element, once you do purchase one please post pictures of it all over your beaeutiful countryside.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Thanks for your suggestions. I could get one from the US, but New Zealand regulations state that All left hand drive vehicles MUST be converted to right hand drive, which I understand to be an expensive exercise. The only other option, as you say is to try and find one in Japan. I also understand that they do not export them to Japan any more as they were to expensive, but I will continue looking.
Oh well, guess I will just have to dream of owning one. They look and sound like an awesome vehicle.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Your plight is understandable, niloc, since I was "in your shoes" roughly a year ago...

Converting a left-hand drive Element after importing it would be insanely too expensive, so your best chance would be importing a used right-hand drive Element from Japan. I don't know what the current "market" conditions are, but do know Japan is the source of many of your used automobiles.

Ironically, precisely the "regulations" you refer to is one of the reasons I won't become a citizen of your otherwise wonderful country. It ended up feeling like "Big Brother run amok" to me eventually. My Kiwi gf never quite got over thinking Elements looked too weird, but that was only a minor factor in my eventual decision.

On another note, I also "detect" the origin of your nick, since it appears we both share the same first name. ;-)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
correct

Must be a good name.
Yes, I have to agree with your comments and it is getting more that way each day. Unfortunatley we tend to get a lot of people form overseas who cannot get things their way in their own Countries. They come here, get a position in a Government dept and then push their ideas, which everyone tends to grab. Before we know it its a regulation. Example: I have always used my yellow fog lights when driving on motorways/freeways & open road for safety reasons. No longer "they may blind oncoming drivers!" Yeah sure!
My wife and I are at present thinking about applying for a green card and jumping ship. (One way to get an Element)
I have just found out today that a 2003 Japanese one will cost me US$22000+ to get to NZ, inc tax/duty/freight etc

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Ironic!

I drive with my fog lights on all the time, for exactly the same reason you have, and had to "defeat" Honda's switch scheme of only allowing them to be used with low-beam headlights. The price you found on the used Japanese Element doesn't surprise me, and would have been a bitter pill for me to consider swallowing, had I continued with my plan to move to NZ.

At the very least, if you and your wife ever come to the U.S. to visit, or to stay (for that matter) be sure to let me know. I'd love to have you visit. Keep in mind you wouldn't want to visit Minnesota in our winter, though. It makes Dunedin feel like Fiji by comparison. :D I've only been in and around Christchurch, but know a bit about your general climate and geography. Even though my relationship evolved to a different plane, I still proudly display the Silver Fern on my rear window:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hownow, where did you get the anti RIAA sticker?????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts