Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I adjusted my valves at 105,000 miles. Following the school of thought that slappy valves are happy valves, I set them all at the loose ends of the clearance guidelines. Upon starting it up afterwards, the engine was very loud. The best two ways I can describe it is either as an exhaust leak near the engine or a diesel garden tractor....just a constant "rat-tat-tat-tat-tat" at idle. Runs ok, but seems to rev a lot in first gear without any corresponding increase in power. Also, it doesn't want to coast down hill; the engine holds me back so much that I have to stay on the gas through first gear and can't coast until it shifts into 2nd...and it is very loud hrough all of this It almost feels like I have too much compression, but I'm not sure if that makes sense....if I left my valves too loose, it seems that they make not open properly and could lead to too much compression, but again, I don't know if I'm on track with that theory or not.

My hope is that this is normal when adjusting valves to the loose side of things, but I just want to make sure I'm not doing more harm than good. Any help from those of you with much more mechanical knowledge than me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Maybe they are just too loose?? What did you set them at? Also did you change the spark plugs or reuse the old ones? Did you torque them to spec? Maybe its not fireing right?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
already took the cover off, rechecked the clearances, reassembled everything as per thread in this forum...same result...anyone else?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I still think you did something wrong. you made sure the piston was at top dead center before adjusting its valves then turning the crank so the next one was at top dead center? You may need to take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I actually had a little trouble at first getting a feeler gage in the correct location. I adjusted mine to the mid of the range. I took the particular gages and gripped them with needle nose vise grips about 1/2 inch from the end. I then heated them red hot with a torch behind the vice grips and bent them in nearly a 90 degree angel. Perhaps 75 degrees.

I had to slide the gages in from the side in most of the valves. Trying to slide the gages straight in from the front (or rear) was difficult and would have resulted in very loose valves.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 02 cr-v. (same engine) the first time I attempted a DIY adjustment. I bought the feeler gauges that are bent at the ends and had them well-oiled. I adjusted to 9 and 12. I put it all back together and made very sure the clamp screw did not move the index at all (which it tends to do when you retighten) It made a loud tikatikatika at idle, and seemed to chuga-chuga like a train (best I can describe) while driving. I opened it back up, and saw that the intake side was a little off on each one. The exhaust sets were still perfect. I called my dad and he suggested using the feeler inbetween the roller and the cam as it would be the same measurement. He said this because the tappets were curved and it was very hard to measure them unless they were perfectly flat, and that would be a lot of work. So I measured inbetween the lobes and rollers, and sure enough, it was an accurate .09 after each turn on the engine, had the TDC perfect, and I have a thread on the CRVOC with pictures of EXACTLY where the gears need to be to get each cylinder. Put it back together, no more chuga-chuga. It then purred like a kitten. Just a thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, everything at tdc, followed the correct firing order, etc...

Serj22-Thanks for the detailed post. It's good to hear I'm not the only one with these issues...I may indeed try your suggestion. Sounds logical enough, though I never would have got there on my own. Thanks again...and if anyone has any other advice, keep it coming.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Foolproof adjustment method: Adjust one cylinder at a time---when the intake valve starts to close, adjust the exhaust valve: When the exhaust valve starts to open, adjust the intake valve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hotrodder-thanks, will give it a shot

I will definitely post what was wrong and how I fixed it...I won't be able to mess with it until Monday.

Is there any way that I could have adjusted the valves correctly and while reassembling/connecting everything I messed up and something else is causing the noise?

At the same time I did the valves, I replaced the cabin filters (haha), plugs, and adjusted the throttle cable (tightened it).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts