Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
OH MY and you bought green too....

I am a Northern Pacific and a BNSF fan and an Amtrak supporter. I walk the old Millwalkee track bed most every day and often ride Amtrak from Washington to MN or California. My greatest love though is the 4449 Daylighter engine in Portland. I would love to follow it in my E with somone out the skylight snapping pics.

Thanks for asking this question.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I grew up with the PRR and about 10 years ago we took the Empire Builder to Portland, GREAT ride. Someday I want to drive the Columbia River Gorge and do some railfanning. The riding while standing in the skylite opening would be interesting. I know the tailgate is nice for watching the trains. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can sit trackside at my "table" and enjoy a railfan day. I also belong to an N-Trak model RR club and the main reason for buying the E was that I can fit two 2'x4' nested modules inside, no problem. Of course, I like everything else about my E too. :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been a member of the Railroad Museum of New England/ Naugatuck Railroad for the last 5 years and have done all kinds of work ( all volunteer,of course) When do you suppose Fairmount will come out with a highrail kit for an Element?

·
Registered
50 Posts
My wife and I take an Amtrak trip/vacation every year, since 1997. This year's trip is to Milwaukee (Texas Eagle) for a big paintball game and visit some friends, and then on to the Grand Canyon (Southwest Chief) for 4 days.

Is it May yet??

{member-TXARP}

·
Registered
118 Posts
We did the Cumbres and Toltec and Durango and Silverton narrow gauge railroads last week of October then rode the SW Chief second week of Nov. from Albuquerque to Trinidad CO for an overnighter and back next day. Great rides, all three!
Also spent a railfan day at Vaughn NM watching BNSF and UP and used the table legs first time....worked great!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
[quote:f4af63edf9=" "]My wife and I take an Amtrak trip/vacation every year, since 1997. This year's trip is to Milwaukee (Texas Eagle) for a big paintball game and visit some friends, and then on to the Grand Canyon (Southwest Chief) for 4 days.
[/quote:f4af63edf9]

Mike,

How long does it take to get from here to Milwaukee and then down to the Grand Canyon? How about if I just wanted to go straight to the Grand Canyon from here? I've never ridden a train on a real trip and think it would be fun.

Bill

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bill:
The most direct route would take you from Houston to Los Angeles on the Sunset, then get on the Southwest Chief to Flagstaff or Williams. If you go to Williams, you can ride the train to the Grand Canyon the next day.

Timewise, you're looking at a day and a half to LAX, kill most of the day in LA, then another half day to Flagstaff. Start to finish, it would be leaving Houston at 9:00 pm, arriving Flagstaff at 5:30 am, 2&1/2 days later.

The train is definitely part of the vacation.

Find out more at www.amtrak.com

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
UP3985 is coming through St. Louis weekend after next. We've already made plans for following/chasing as it leaves town on Sunday.

I've offered the E's unique "tank commander" position to my video-shooting friends, but so far no takers. :wink:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
[quote:a8d534a5e0=" "]Timewise, you're looking at a day and a half to LAX, kill most of the day in LA, then another half day to Flagstaff. Start to finish, it would be leaving Houston at 9:00 pm, arriving Flagstaff at 5:30 am, 2&1/2 days later.

The train is definitely part of the vacation.

Find out more at www.amtrak.com[/quote:a8d534a5e0]

That sounds pretty cool to me. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't tell me that this is the railfan vehicle of choice! My wife will flip when she hears that and probably buy a VW bug or something in spite!

Railfan/railroader from the early days.. here's my working lineage:

Morristown & Erie (NJ) - trainman
Long Island Railroad - trainman while going to college
Conrail - Sales, Marketing during the Stanley Crane years (now I'm dating myself for those fans in the know!)
Southern Pacific Lines - Network Planning & Operations

If it weren't for the UP/SP merger and the demand to move to Omaha I'd still be in the biz probably, but alas life takes you on many twists & turns.

Now in the PNW and get an occasional rail jaunt here and there (but get to see Interbay yard everyday in Seattle woo hoo!).

Most interesting things I've seen so far - Stevens Pass, old MILW line (abandoned), Columbia river trackage.

The old Cascade tunnel and the town of Wellington (which was wiped out in an avalanche that took out a GN train packed with people) is on my short list of hikes that I haven't taken yet.

No doubt the E will enhance the chase!

·
Registered
40 Posts
You Green Toaster..

If you are from Bloomsburg, I'm sure you know all about the DL&W Bloomsburg branch (parts now the Reading & Northern Taylor Secondary if memory serves me..).

Pennsylvania is the ultimate RR history and action state. Horseshoe Curve should be seen by every railfan at least once in their life. And the remnants of CNJ, RDG,LV,Erie, DL&W and even O&W remain to be discovered.

Awesome territory!

I still find it strange to be blathering about railroads on an Element board!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You PNW,I guess I could be writing on a rail board about the element, but no I'll Stay here. At least we're not complaing about our Elements like alot of the other owners. Diffinatally enjoy mine. Anyway I was stationed at Whidbey Island back in 1971-72. Its really a nice around the Seattle area. Sould have stayed there! The Element is a great vehicle for training. I slept in it once at Erie Pa last year. Slept ok but took too much gear with me, crowded up a bit. As far as railing PA, they pretty well ruined Horseshoe Curve with the museum and tram. Too many non railfans, the area is to enclosed and closes up the curve area for the winter. Progress yea right. So enjoy the railing in the PNW :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.