Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I need you guys help. I own a 2002 Element but when I bought it it had some problems. Now it became a money pit so I decided to buy a new one.
I just ran onto a 2005 with 83 000 miles in an off white color I have never seen. Also a 2010 with 114 000 miles the usual rust color. Both in great condition. I'm really torn. What are your thoughts???
Automotive side-view mirror Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2003 was first model year.

For the two you're looking at: 05 is an LX; 2010 an EX? manual or auto trans? FWD or 4WD? Service history on either? What do the undersides look like? Asking prices?
Both FWD, both auto trans, both have service history, both have no rust or anything under. The 2010 has a has a rebuild title for a hail storm. Both $9500

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I would go for the 2010 to get the 5 speed auto and get the better fuel economy

Also try out the seat belts on the 2010 as they are mounted on the seat itself, some find them not as comfortable as the earlier seatbelts that are mounted on the rear side doors. Personally I like the seat mounted belts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Between 2005 and 2010 some differences such as interior room. I think the 2010 has less interior space in the rear from what I've read due to model changes.
Both cars are old, look around the engine bay, interior, door seals, test windows, wipers, windshield spray, seals, door gaskets, etc. Which look and sound better? At this age you will need some maintenance on parts. If the interior changes are not too drastic from the 05 I would be inclined to go with the newer car since newer parts. If no AWD on the EX I think they are essentially the same car with exception to sound system (EX has cd player and tweeters) and power thingies like power locks, power windows, cruise control, since I 'think' those were the old "power option" package.

Mind if I ask what is wrong with the 2002? Sometimes it is better to know your problems than buy into a new set of unknowns. IMHO $9500 can get your 2002 into great shape provided the powertrain is in good shape.

·
Registered
269 Posts
2010 is the solid choice. If I didn’t have RR, I would have loved the CK, but at this point you need to find the newest one you can to extend useful life. The difference in mileage is negligible between the 2 of them, but the newer one with better fuel mileage is the choice - plus it’s an EX.

·
Premium Member
2003 EX AT 2WD
67 Posts
the seat belt issue is real, i have an 03 EX and a 08 LX, i really dislike the 08 belts...told myself id get used to them but not so much
thats a 30k mile difference in miles...not negligable IMO.
personally I love both colors so...
rebuilt title is a major sticking point for me, not a problem if its a "forever car" untill its not

the EX features are worth a few bucks but i think I would go with the 05
keep us posted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should have asked - what kind of problems with the 2003?
The 03 needs gasket replacement on top engine, liking oil, compressor on the ac has gone bad, some electric problem draining the battery daily, I can longer open the doors with the keys (have to climb through the back). And a few other small things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Between 2005 and 2010 some differences such as interior room. I think the 2010 has less interior space in the rear from what I've read due to model changes.
Both cars are old, look around the engine bay, interior, door seals, test windows, wipers, windshield spray, seals, door gaskets, etc. Which look and sound better? At this age you will need some maintenance on parts. If the interior changes are not too drastic from the 05 I would be inclined to go with the newer car since newer parts. If no AWD on the EX I think they are essentially the same car with exception to sound system (EX has cd player and tweeters) and power thingies like power locks, power windows, cruise control, since I 'think' those were the old "power option" package.

Mind if I ask what is wrong with the 2002? Sometimes it is better to know your problems than buy into a new set of unknowns. IMHO $9500 can get your 2002 into great shape provided the powertrain is in good shape.
The 03 needs gasket replacement on top engine, liking oil, compressor on the ac has gone bad, some electric problem draining the battery daily, I can longer open the doors with the keys (have to climb through the back). And a few other small things.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My vote is also for the 2010 with the 5spd auto. I would still consider fixing the 03. Head gasket isnt a horrible job, electrical is a pain to track down but could be simple as a bad starter. Adding keyless isnt to bad. The wiring plug is there, just have to get the box and key fob. I had to do that on my 08 SC cause the dealer lost the fob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My vote is also for the 2010 with the 5spd auto. I would still consider fixing the 03. Head gasket isnt a horrible job, electrical is a pain to track down but could be simple as a bad starter. Adding keyless isnt to bad. The wiring plug is there, just have to get the box and key fob. I had to do that on my 08 SC cause the dealer lost the fob
And new AC, compressor.

·
Registered
2007 LX MT/FWD
128 Posts
Hello,
I'll agree with you on the steelies wheels denoting an Element LX model but, I have two EXs (04&05) with black door handles.
Anyhow, I wonder what the OP ending buying?.

·
Registered
2008 LX FWD AT
2,759 Posts
Starting with the 2005 EX-P, I think all 2007+ EX models had paint matching door handles, and matching cladding and front bumper. Two 2007 EXs in the extended family door handles match.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts