Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Interesting, I find it odd that the gave the Element a Poor rating even though it only got on poor result in the test, drivers torso. When you look at the test results in detail the Element did fair much better than most.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes that was a bit odd. maybee it has to do with the damage to the dummy in the torso? or that area counts for more??? The Hyundai score is a bit of a suprise to me! Good for them. Over all though at least the Honda element wasnt last on the score. I look forward perhaps to learning more about these results!

·
Registered
176 Posts
i'm not trying to discount this test, but did anyone else notice how in the photos the impact mechanism was at least a foot off the ground??

i cant imagine that laws allow a car/suv's bumper to be that high off the ground.

i'm wondering if they lowered the impact point by a few inches, if the test would have been completely different. it seems that the impact mechanism went completely over the lower side-support beam of the element.

regardless, this is a good argument for side airbags.

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
280 Posts
[quote:73356879da="meanelvis"]i'm not trying to discount this test, but did anyone else notice how in the photos the impact mechanism was at least a foot off the ground??[/quote:73356879da]

Just look at any large pickup or a lot of the bigger SUV's. The bumpers are that high. I'm interested to see how the gov't tests come out. But when I llok at the picture of the crushed E, I'm amazed that the damage isn't a lot worse than it is given the weight and speed of their impact thingy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the website said the side impact tests were conducted w/the frontal design of a pick-up / large suv. (since they cause the most damage in crashes...and are so popular)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow. Well, this is going to throw a kink into my plans to buy an Element (and a couple of friends too.) It was kind of a tossup between an E and a subaru product, but .... the article says that the manufacturer can supply the institute with a model equipped with side airbags for testing.... I hope Honda does that and the E does better. Otherwise I'm not buying one. I hope HoA heard that.

I WILL NOT BUY AN ELEMENT UNLESS IT ACHEIVES A GOOD RATING IN ALL CRASH TESTS. GET A SIDE AIRBAG MODEL IN FOR TESTING!

maybe they heard that.

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
280 Posts
The IIHS group has never previously performed side impact testing. They designed an admittedly severe test, but it's hard to evaluate relative safety when only 12 vehicles have been tested. (You can't evaluate the test itself yet given the small sample size). Sure I wish the E did better, but I'd like to see how the gov't side impact test results look, too. If the E aces those, is it still out? There's a lot more history to that testing program, and as someone who's not the size of a petite woman or 12 year old child the dummy results might more accruately reflect what might happen to me.

If you're basing your selection on vehicles that received an A rating from IIHS there are only 2 options. (You'd have to eliminate any vehicle not yet tested). You can buy the Hyundai or the Subaru. They're both nice. I personlly prefer the Hyundai as I'm not a fan of the Subaru's stying, the the Subaru owners I know love their cars.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Side-impact airbags may not be so great, depending on your size. There have been a number of studies where tall dummies (and people) are injuried more by having these, simply because they are designed for the average human build. The problem stems from having your torso buffered, but your tall head and neck unsupport and whipping even more. Since my wife and I are both over 6', we thought a long time about the EXS, and decided not to get it.

That said, the results are disappointing. It's a good test, IMHO, because you are more likely to be nailed by a truck than anything else it seems. Look both ways!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
<SOAPBOXRANT>
Everything in life has tradeoffs. I'm sure Honda could build a tank that would be impossible to get hurt in. It would cost $100,000 and get 4 MPG. Then, some people will whine about how socially irresponsible Honda is for building such monsters and how they should build electric cars made of plastic that get 100 MPG.

I am completely satisfied with the crash-worthiness of my E. The most important piece of safety equipment a car can have is between the driver's ears, not more airbags at $1K a piece.

Be alert when driving, and be responsible for your own safety.
</SOAPBOXRANT>

Regards,
SOL

·
Registered
28 Posts
Most of the overall results were good or acceptable. The only one that was poor was the front seat torso, which I believe would be greatly impacted if they did a test with side air bags.

I was very pleased with the rear seat results. My kids will be back there and in their carseat/booster seats which both offer additional side impact protection.

I do believe that side impacts can be avoided with a lot of caution which I tend to drive with. Even though they said "poor" I am glad to see these results and am overall pleased with them.

bex

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe the reason for the poor overall rating is because major injury to the toro and/or head translates to a greater chance of dying relative to injuries elsewhere. It would seem the rating system would be weighted more heavily in those two areas. So since the Element tested poorly for driver torso injury, the overall rating would have to be the same.

If the test had been conducted with the optional side airbag, the driver torso rating probably would have been much better. I would still be a little concerned about neck injury though. The crash photo showing the driver dummies' neck whipping to the side makes me think that Honda should also offer the curtain side airbag option.

The cost for the extra protection is minimal compared to the cost of injury caused by a side-impact (financial cost, opportunity cost, quality of life cost, etc.).

Take care everyone.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I was pretty sure that the side crashworthiness had already been tested, and that the Element had scored pretty admirably.

I'm pretty sure, pretty damned sure, I saw this at nhtsa.dot.gov.

So who is this IIHC group? I can't get their page to load for love nor money. And what's their credibility as compared to NHTSA?

Hmmm. I'm not trying to dismiss this, just understand who is saying what, exactly.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Side impact vs. front impact, Kim. The other tests were front impact.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You guys kill me.

When initial impact test results started surfacing a few months ago, there were numerous posts and responses expounding on how great the Element did and how it reinforced Honda quality and safety.

A few months later a test results in a poor rating for the Element and suddenly folks are trying to pick apart the process, question the expertise of the testing organization or understate the importance in a weak attempt to rationalize.

The Element is my favorite car of all time, but I sure don't want to be in mine when some idiot decides to run a red light while I'm rolling through an intersection. According to these results, I'd rather be driving my wife's Escape (which didn't do great in frontal tests) when that happens.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Wow. You're easily amused. :roll:

I don't need to rationalize anything.

I do need the facts, and I need to understand the origin of these facts.

Neither the Reuters nor the AP reports are fully explanatory of the facts I'd like to know in order to evaluate this institute and its test vs. the NHTSA and its tests. Maybe I'm not an engineer but I could make some sort of educated guess about the tests. I learned a long time ago is that all facts are not born equal, that statistics and numbers can mislead, and that the origin of information is part of the weight of its credibility.

Alas, I still can't get the farking site to load.

Enjoy the Escape. I'll enjoy my Element with side airbags.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
for the side imact tests they are providing on the IIHS site, the barrier is higher and i have seen all kinds of SAFE vehicles in accidents with tracter trailers and HUGE trucks.. and no vehicle survives those, most people are seriouslly injured in those accidents.

Th Subraru Forester hardly can be considered an SUV, it is really, really low to the ground, the damage here would be to the top of the vehicle and the windows not to the side of the vehicle,... Note the only SUV on this test to do well was the Forester, The Sante Fe did acceptable.. and well hey that is awesome.. but i have seen mini vans, one of the safer vehicles on the road in a side run in with huge vehicles and they are toast.

The E is a great vehicle, the side imact is an avoidable accident, drive with caution and when you come to an intersection look both ways even (especially) if it just turned green.. plenty more then enough people run red lights, realize that and be defensive that is life.. use caution.

As far as the Escape with out airbags it too rated Poor.. I am sure when they rate the E with the side the rating would not be POOR too Overall the Escape has rated poorly in sooo many other aspect it really is not worth discussing.

I am saddened to hear people getting so upset over this. There is not a flawless vehicle on the planet. I do love my E, and as far as any issue with the side imact again i reiterate use caution don't drive blindly. More accidents occur from apathy and being unaware of what is around you, then anything else.

·
Registered
247 Posts
[quote:ce9360a52a="tigernumber6"]The Element is my favorite car of all time, but I sure don't want to be in mine when some idiot decides to run a red light while I'm rolling through an intersection. According to these results, I'd rather be driving my wife's Escape (which didn't do great in frontal tests) when that happens.[/quote:ce9360a52a]
I guess it's all relative. I'd rather be in my Element than in my Wrangler, which from May-Oct has no side doors. :)

1 - 20 of 133 Posts