Honda Element Owners Club banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
since the gas tank is below the floor pan and the first connector is above, I would wonder if the wire is chafed when it goes through the hole. Looks like you can see the hole in that floor in the center console area…

also, are you checking for the presence of power and ground at the cables in addition to visually inspecting? in other words, when the pump is broken, check for the presence of power and ground at the pump, then check the power and ground at the harness connector. Hopefully power and grounds are at the harness connector and one of them is absent at the pump. you then know your problem is in that particular wire and you can scrutinize that single wire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Op, just a wild guess, ok? Check if your TBS is working properly. A faulty TBS can signal bad signal to the ECU (for instance, WOT when in fact, the throttle is in the closed position), causing it to cut the fuel. As I said, its just a wild guess without your car in front of me. Good luck fella.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Update: still no luck in finding the issue.

The problem is completely inconsistent. It’s just a matter of turning the key several times before it decides to send power. I’m starting to wonder if the ecu is the problem. I am at the connector between the seats checking voltage. It’s definitely an issue further forward. I’m going to pull the drivers seat and go up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
851 Posts
Update: still no luck in finding the issue.

The problem is completely inconsistent. It’s just a matter of turning the key several times before it decides to send power. I’m starting to wonder if the ecu is the problem. I am at the connector between the seats checking voltage. It’s definitely an issue further forward. I’m going to pull the drivers seat and go up.

bummer. So pushing the harness on the floor making the pump work was a red herring?

:(

·
Registered
851 Posts
Appears so. I took apart one of the connectors and put it back together with dielectric grease. I’m wondering if that was my problem? It comes right on now.

guess I’m confused. is the problem still intermittent or did you “accidentally fix” it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
guess I’m confused. is the problem still intermittent or did you “accidentally fix” it?
Idk tbh lol. It’s coming on everytime now. I seriously doubt i accidentally fixed it, i know as soon as i put it all back together it’ll probably act up again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I’ve tested the pump now at least 3 dozen times. It runs every time now. I’ve turned the key after every panel and clip was reinstalled. Seems to be fine. I think the one connector right behind the sub was the one that was acting up. That was the last one i took apart and put dielectric grease on. I’ll test drive tomorrow.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Lol, sorry … I feel for you man. Can’t fix what’s working. First, it’s an intermittent fault, and next the “accidentally fixing” occurs. At least you now know where everything is so you take take it apart again if you need to be there again.

Reactions: KaiOhTeh

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well after a day of driving cel came on for the infamous vtec spool. Pulled it off to clean it, appears to have been replaced already and wasn’t dirty at all. LOL this car will be the death of me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Update: so i drove the car around a bit, one day a couple weeks ago, it had a split second glitch and shut off while driving then restarted. It cleared out the cel and was fine. Cel did come back like a day later for the vtec solenoid again. I limped it around for another few days with the null mode coming and going before i made an hour trip to my parents to pick something up and come back. On my way back, again it glitched and flip on and off. Cel cleared and never came back on. The rest of that trip the passenger airbag off light came on and off randomly. The next day it was perfect. The following day i drove to Maryland without a problem. For almost 2 weeks it’s been perfectly fine. Today it started acting up not wanting to start again. Twice today, the fuel pump did not come on and took multiple key turns until it finally decided to work. Now I’m starting to wonder if I have an ecu problem. If anyone has ever seen or heard of anything like this place feel free to give me any feedback because i am stumped. I’d rather not go to the mechanic as I am sure they won’t be of much help either without charging me out the ass doing the same things I’ve done already.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
One more thing I happened to notice, every time the fuel pump failed to turn on, the cel light that normally comes on when you first turn the key, did not illuminate. The picture shown is what the dash normally looks like when I first turn the key under normal conditions. When the pump isn’t on, the cel isn’t either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hopefully this is the last update;

I think i figured out the issue was stemming from a faulty main relay. Swapped it out a day or two ago, put about 70 miles on the car so far with numerous start ups, zero issues. My cel troubles have magically gone away which is really odd because i don’t think they were related but who knows.

So unless i come back and comment again, my issue seems to have come from the main relay sticking or just not functioning quite right.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts