Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mileage is 146,000. What photos would be useful for this purpose?
146000 miles is not a lot of mileage for an Element especially one that sounds like you have made your best efforts to keep well maintained. Since rust is the biggest enemy of these cars perhaps some pictures of the underside to see the condition of the floor, the subframe etc would help us to know its overall condition. If there is any body damage from bumps and incidents you could send us pictures of those as well or anywhere where you think there is obvious damage or wear and tear

·
Registered
913 Posts
Sometimes I see a Honda Odyssey and think that will probably be me someday... but not today! I must admit I do like driving my wife's Civic EX-L. It runs really well and I convinced her to get a warranty up to a 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Over the 17 years I (and previously my late husband) owned it, this Element has been domiciled everywhere from Manhattan NY to Middleburg VA. I have lived in rural areas since 2013, and very rarely go into the city these days -- so based on what you're saying, this would suggest the Honda service center I previously used was ripping me off. I've moved and am using different Honda service centers now -- but it does sour me on the brand to which I had been loyal for decades!
Please don't let that experience turn you off from the brand, each dealership is different, and sometimes just certain mechanics are a problem at a dealership.

·
Registered
30 Posts
PS: I Googled after seeing your post, and the info I could find on the forthcoming TJ is from early 2020. Have you seen more recent news?
I have found another article saying that its looks like the TJ might be a Japan only car. Alot of Toyota forums believe that if it does well in Japan that Toyota could bring it to the states. Wouldnt be hard for them to bring it over because the TJ is based on cars that are already sold in the States. Hopefully Toyota will bring it over here because I think alot of americans would love something like this. When Toyota will actually bring it over is anyone's guess. Toyota TJ Cruiser going into production this spring | Toyota of Orlando

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have found another article saying that its looks like the TJ might be a Japan only car. Alot of Toyota forums believe that if it does well in Japan that Toyota could bring it to the states. Wouldnt be hard for them to bring it over because the TJ is based on cars that are already sold in the States. Hopefully Toyota will bring it over here because I think alot of americans would love something like this. When Toyota will actually bring it over is anyone's guess. Toyota TJ Cruiser going into production this spring | Toyota of Orlando
I did little more digging on Toyota Japan site, doesn't look like they even have the TJ on the Japan market yet. My guess is they are delayed in the production due to COVID or possibly because of COVID they scratched the production of the TJ.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The TJ looks awesome

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you -- after considering input from you and others, I do indeed lean toward nursing the Element along for a while longer, hoping for a better replacement to hit the market before it finally breathes its last. :)

I agree with Mike1953's post - keep your vehicle as long as you can. Minor repairs, provided the same problem doesn't repeat as an indication of a more serious underlying problem, will be way cheaper than the depreciation of a replacement vehicle (new or used) if you buy from a dealer. And if you love your Element as you clearly do, you won't get the same driving enjoyment and satisfaction either!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thank you -- after considering input from you and others, I do indeed lean toward nursing the Element along for a while longer, hoping for a better replacement to hit the market before it finally breathes its last. :)
Next time a mechanic tells you the element needs some expensive repair or service, check back here and on youtube for videos on any specific repairs you need and you can get an idea of just how much your car really needs that repair or if it might be something else altogether

·
Registered
3 Posts
Road and Track did an article on it in 2015(?). Nothing since. All other articles I find are either ones that look like they are written by AI or foreign entities to drive traffic to their site for the affiliate links. Some dealerships have articles, but again, just to keep traffic to their sites.
If the TJ becomes a thing, it will be several years out from now and most likely as another concept first (to long has passed since the last concept).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I fear my trusty 2004 Honda Element may not last much longer -- and rumors about a re-release appear to be false.
So I'm looking for recommendations for a successor vehicle. The Element features I love -- in addition to loads of sentimental value with this vehicle in particular -- include:
  • AWD.
  • Reliability -- as with several Hondas I've owned.
  • No leather or other animal materials.
  • Exterior length short enough to fit in a compact parking spot.
  • Cargo space ample for two large dogs, or a bicycle, or a medium-sized piece of furniture.
  • Rubber interior makes it easy to clean.
Look for a 2010. Many still in good shape, much cheaper than a 2011. Nothing out there like an E!!! I'm hoping my 2010 lasts as long as i do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fear my trusty 2004 Honda Element may not last much longer -- and rumors about a re-release appear to be false.
So I'm looking for recommendations for a successor vehicle. The Element features I love -- in addition to loads of sentimental value with this vehicle in particular -- include:
  • AWD.
  • Cargo space ample for two large dogs, or a bicycle, or a medium-sized piece of furniture.
Feel the same way,engine had to be replaced last year and I could not bear to junk it so I bought another engine and it is back on the road, looked for a replacement element with low mileage so far no luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
  • AWD.
Dear Friend,
After 15 years in my 04 Element, 297,000 miles all rebuilt but the rear Struts, some slammed me in the Passenger Wheel Well, and Insurance gave me $8000 plus $2000 to rewrap it. I found a 2011 Toyota Highlander Limited that was Navy with Cream Interior and it is loaded. Plus a 6 cylinder engine for a little more well a lot more pep, and about the same milage, Probably the way I drive, Leather heated seats, Navi and JBL stereo with all the Power of the Honda Radio we all love, It has Blue Tooth, and so I can blue tooth my Phone to it, so I can listen to Audio Books, Pandora etc.
It's a little larger, but runs on Regular gas, and It's quieter, as there were about $30,000 new. I gave $14,500 from the Individual I purchased it from In Dallas, I went to test Driver and fell in love having never ridden in one. Peppy for sure, and this one is front wheel drive only but some come in all wheel. It also only had 73,000 miles on it. I have had it since
last July, and I really love it, the door shuts with the thud, No Rattles, and my wife didn't really like my element, however she loves the Highlander and we take it more places, as I enjoy her driving so I can nap.
Sincerely,
Chris

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EX (FWD)
14 Posts
1) Maintenance
While you're hanging onto the E, find an independent shop that specializes in Hondas (ideally) or Japanese cars more generally.

I apologize to any dealership employees or sponsors on the forum, but it's so much cheaper to handle your maintenance at an independent shop.

2) Replacement
Lots of good advice here. If you are serious about rubber floors & a short wheelbase, you could find a Ford Transit Connect configured that way with AWD. It's basically a service truck though.

If you want more comfort, I recommend a Honda CR-V with AWD. They all have carpet, but you could throw a rubber cargo mat in the back. Unfortunately, it's hard to find them without leather if you want the fancier features.

P.S. I know you're not in Atlanta, but for an example of an independent shop, I recommend Far East Motorworks. Far East Motorworks | Quality Service and Repair

And for Lexus, we love Lexus and Toyota Service and Repair - LexTechs Of Atlanta.

If you're in a smaller town, you might not have so many options, but there are plenty of independent shops that love to work on Hondas. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2011 Honda Element
2 Posts
  • AWD.
I hydroplaned and flipped my orange 2003 honda element on the highway 2019. I cried and was so upset I totaled my baby. I obsessively searched for another honda element. I had to drive 10hrs to get my 2011 element but it was worth it! And I got a good deal. They are out there if you hunt them down. I feel like once you have a element how do you go back to other cars?

·
Registered
11 Posts
  • AWD.
Good thread. I just replaced engine in my 2007 because nothing else out there got me too excited. Honda Fit was on my mind, but didn't want to buy a new vehicle just cuz I HAD to. Interested in reading responses. Other thing that I might consider would be 1 of those small (typically white) transit vans, those slider side door are KILLLER when you live/work in the city, but relatively low clearance has me a bit bummed for New England winters

·
Registered
10 Posts
1) Maintenance
While you're hanging onto the E, find an independent shop that specializes in Hondas (ideally) or Japanese cars more generally.

I apologize to any dealership employees or sponsors on the forum, but it's so much cheaper to handle your maintenance at an independent shop.

2) Replacement
Lots of good advice here. If you are serious about rubber floors & a short wheelbase, you could find a Ford Transit Connect configured that way with AWD. It's basically a service truck though.

If you want more comfort, I recommend a Honda CR-V with AWD. They all have carpet, but you could throw a rubber cargo mat in the back. Unfortunately, it's hard to find them without leather if you want the fancier features.

P.S. I know you're not in Atlanta, but for an example of an independent shop, I recommend Far East Motorworks. Far East Motorworks | Quality Service and Repair

And for Lexus, we love Lexus and Toyota Service and Repair - LexTechs Of Atlanta.

If you're in a smaller town, you might not have so many options, but there are plenty of independent shops that love to work on Hondas. Best of luck!
  • AWD.
I like honda but a Toyota is cheaper to service ( about have the cost on parts and more Toyota Dealerships) I have owned all body styles of a CR-V (5) and I have owned 6 Element plus 4 more models so I know honda . But if I was going a buy a new (or used) I would buy a RAV-4( it is the highest sales toyota now) I have owned 2 RAV-4 both greater vehicle and should be easy to find a good RAV-4 new or used and it will have all you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
  • AWD.
HI,
I am going to sell my "toaster." Bought it from a neighbor for my daughter but the car is too big for her. She is barely 5' and has to sit with her knees touching the bottom of the dash and too close to steering wheel. 2007 Green Honda Element EX - 23,000 miles. $10,500

·
Registered
15 Posts
  • AWD.
Repair yes as YOU know what has been done. Find an honest repair shop and do your own homework on the repairs. I bought my first Element in 2011, a 2008 and fell in love with it. I had her till 2020 then she got hit. 256000 miles and still going strong. I never beat her and only opened the v-tech once a month but they last. And as stated else where here, pay attention to the underside as that is the "only" place they rust. So, to finish, I found another Element, A 2010 for $5000. They are out there but if you can care for the one you have I would do that first.

·
Registered
352 Posts
HI,
I am going to sell my "toaster." Bought it from a neighbor for my daughter but the car is too big for her. She is barely 5' and has to sit with her knees touching the bottom of the dash and too close to steering wheel. 2007 Green Honda Element EX - 23,000 miles. $10,500
ONLY 23K MILES?! is that a typo? Did you mean 230K miles? or 223K miles or 233K miles?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
  • AWD.
I spent a few months watching for a really good low mileage Element to show up. I found a really nice 07 SC. I'm waiting till the VW electric bus comes to market. I see nothing out there that I want.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts