Honda Element Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
HI,
I am going to sell my "toaster." Bought it from a neighbor for my daughter but the car is too big for her. She is barely 5' and has to sit with her knees touching the bottom of the dash and too close to steering wheel. 2007 Green Honda Element EX - 23,000 miles. $10,500
This is really more of a joke but I saw these online before and thought, do these really work? are they legal? is there any liability or insurance problems with having pedal extenders?

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is really more of a joke but I saw these online before and thought, do these really work? are they legal? is there any liability or insurance problems with having pedal extenders?

View attachment 207591
They are, to the best of my knowledge. Safer to use em if needed, IMHO. Drivers with dwarfism use them. They were even a plot point (for lack of a better phrase) in an episode of Little People, Big World when the patriarch was charged with a DUI when driving his wife's car: they both use extenders, but are set up differently.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 2010 E doesn't get driven much these days. The Mrs mostly works from my home, and our Accord Hybrid is an awesome daily driver. Seriously looking at the CR-V Hybrid as a potential replacement, even though my toaster has <90k miles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think you are mistaken about the Transit Connect?
You can not get a Connect with AWD or 4WD.
You can get the full sized Transit in AWD but these are in no way comparable to the Connect or the Element.
If they did make an AWD Connect I would probably not be here,well maybe at least?

1) Maintenance
While you're hanging onto the E, find an independent shop that specializes in Hondas (ideally) or Japanese cars more generally.

I apologize to any dealership employees or sponsors on the forum, but it's so much cheaper to handle your maintenance at an independent shop.

2) Replacement
Lots of good advice here. If you are serious about rubber floors & a short wheelbase, you could find a Ford Transit Connect configured that way with AWD. It's basically a service truck though.

If you want more comfort, I recommend a Honda CR-V with AWD. They all have carpet, but you could throw a rubber cargo mat in the back. Unfortunately, it's hard to find them without leather if you want the fancier features.

P.S. I know you're not in Atlanta, but for an example of an independent shop, I recommend Far East Motorworks. Far East Motorworks | Quality Service and Repair

And for Lexus, we love Lexus and Toyota Service and Repair - LexTechs Of Atlanta.

If you're in a smaller town, you might not have so many options, but there are plenty of independent shops that love to work on Hondas. Best of luck!

·
Registered
352 Posts
My 2010 E doesn't get driven much these days. The Mrs mostly works from my home, and our Accord Hybrid is an awesome daily driver. Seriously looking at the CR-V Hybrid as a potential replacement, even though my toaster has <90k miles.
Wow another low mileage Element, let us know if you do decide to sell

·
Registered
1 Posts
To be blunt: if you paid to have your brakes done two years in a row, you either need to drive better (no left foot on the brake) or you were ripped off.

PM me if you want to know why, or more information.
I drove mine foe 240,000 and all I did was put new pads on the front. Sounds like your dealer is ripping you off. You tube it and it will show you how to change them it’s SIMPLE.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Element EX AWD
28 Posts
I’ve asked myself the same question. What would I replace my Element with if I had to. The only car that comes close to an Element is a CR-V. But not one of the new ones with a Dreamworks engine and a CVT. Hate to say it but Honda’s quality has gone down hill the last few years.

CR-Vs are a dime a dozen, tons of them still out there. The Element was built on the same platform as the CR-V. So they have much in common.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 156k on my 2006 element, I’ve replaced and repaired almost everything you listed in the past 2-3yrs as well and recently swapped out the springs and struts. Parts do fail over time and of course wear and tear. What you need is to find a honest independent mechanic in your area and stop going to the dealership.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all, I love my 2007 E, and it's my "new" car: my spouse is driving a 2005 minivan. And I'm a believer that's it's always cheaper to repair than to buy new. ALMOST always. But Alysoun says: "These last few years I've been spending about $2-3k annually at local Honda service centers to nurse the vehicle along." So it sounds like she's (he?) not into DIY and not willing to argue with the dealer, and for that kind of money could lease a new car with greater safety features, better MPG, and little or no maintenance other than oil changes. Seems like a no brainer to me, and another E would be on the market for we enthusiasts.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm kicking my 2010 EX AWD to the curb this summer. I'm going to replace it with a 2012-2015 Porsche Cayenne with the 4.8L V-8 and air bag suspension. It has full-time AWD with locking rear and center differentials and has a tow rating of 7,700 pounds. It gets the same fuel economy as the Element, comes with either a small or panoramic sunroof and are surprisingly reliable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have owned 14 Honda vehicle with 5 of the vehicle being CR-V.( I would say I know Honda vehicles) I owned 2 Toyota RAV-4 and both the RAV-4 are better vehicle( better seats. drive and ride better and cheaper maintenance) Their a reason that Toyota RAV-4 out sale Honda CR-V, it is a better SUV (fwd and awd). To Lule I hope you have a large bank account to own a Porsche Cayenne buying the vehicle is the cheap part. My wife sister own a Cayenne and she tell my wife that the cost to service the Porsche Cayenne is twice the cost of the Lexus RX 350 that her husband use for a work vehicle. My wife has a Lexus RX 350 and oil changes at the Lexus Dealer cost $ 200.00 plus( I only use the Dealership in the long run it is cheaper)( if I have a problem Lexus Factory will make it wright). I wish you a lot of luck with your Porsche Cayenne ( you do know that you can buy a new Acura MDX awd for the cost of a good used Cayenne)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I fear my trusty 2004 Honda Element may not last much longer -- and rumors about a re-release appear to be false.
So I'm looking for recommendations for a successor vehicle. The Element features I love -- in addition to loads of sentimental value with this vehicle in particular -- include:
  • AWD.
  • Reliability -- as with several Hondas I've owned.
  • No leather or other animal materials.
  • Exterior length short enough to fit in a compact parking spot.
  • Cargo space ample for two large dogs, or a bicycle, or a medium-sized piece of furniture.
  • Rubber interior makes it easy to clean.
I went from a 2005 to a 2010 Element and couldn't be happier. You may try that. mileage went from 240k to 140k too. $9000 for the 2010. Now my son wants to buy the 2005 as a secondary vehicle for $2000 so we win all around.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Howdy, John! Let's share what we know.
I've been looking for a replacement for my Element since last fall. I initially was searching for an FJ Cruiser with a manual and ATAC in the 2015-2016 year range. Car lots were asking almost original MSRP for one under 100K miles. $30k was not an unusual number. They are fairly gutless when towing a trailer, too.
MDX? Just plain ugly and I'm at the end of the road with Honda products. In my view, they have gone down in reliability over the years. Not the company they used to be. I've had six Hondas spanning from 1983 to 2010.
I know what the issues are with the Cayennes and for what generation. They're around $23k-$26k for an "S" with the right features and around 60-70k miles. You can net a first-gen for about $15ish, although that's not what I'm looking for.
One benefit is that I do my own maintenance and repairs. I've tried to use shops around here but most are remarkably incompetent. (Black Mountain, NC)
Mostly, the Cayenne fits my driving style and works well where I live. I live in the mountains, drive enthusiastically, regularly pull a trailer of some sort and encounter snow and gravel roads. The Element just isn't up to the task, uphill gravel roads especially.

I suppose it's up to what one can stand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I fear my trusty 2004 Honda Element may not last much longer -- and rumors about a re-release appear to be false.
So I'm looking for recommendations for a successor vehicle. The Element features I love -- in addition to loads of sentimental value with this vehicle in particular -- include:
  • AWD.
  • Reliability -- as with several Hondas I've owned.
  • No leather or other animal materials.
  • Exterior length short enough to fit in a compact parking spot.
  • Cargo space ample for two large dogs, or a bicycle, or a medium-sized piece of furniture.
  • Rubber interior makes it easy to clean.
I have 252,00 on my 04, wouldn't trade it for the world! I am hoping that in the future Honda comes out with another version, maybe electric by 2035?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have 252,00 on my 04, wouldn't trade it for the world! I am hoping that in the future Honda comes out with another version, maybe electric by 2035?
Hopefully it wont take them until 2035 to make a new or electric version but I wouldnt doubt that the current element could last that long, my previous car an Acura 1.6 EL was a 1997 and someone totalled it last year but I had been fixing and rebuilding it and it was 23 years old and was going to drive it another 10 years

41 - 60 of 63 Posts