Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an Element and after standing back several feet and looking at the underside, the metalish frame in the middle (I don't know the exact name :D ) looks like it hangs down quite low. Was concerned it could be a problem going over large bumps. Is this common, as I have yet to see another Element? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
338 Posts
That's your gas tank bud.

Hasn't been a problem, but when it goes over $2.00 a gallon you never know....

I have heard of absolutely zero problems with it, with the exception of the complaints over the aesthetics...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think a skid plate could prove a very important item. I don't plan to make the Element into something it's not ( a serious offroad vehicle ).
However since some are AWD's people will venture into some areas and get themselves in to trouble no doubt. I can't imagine how awful it would be to rupture a gas tank down some serene path in the forest because they didn't see that big rock while they were adjusting that wonderful stereo system. If skid plates were available it would be the first thing I would purchase.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i already made a really nice skid plate to protect the engine and tranny. its made out of aluminum.my next task is the gas tank.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thats great you made your own skid plate. Probably would be hard to photograph but would love to see your handywork just the same. Maybe you can get your own patent. :wink:

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That would be great if we could see a photo and maybe a quick little how-to. I am all about customizing and saving money in the process so anyone with similar ideas post em in the do-it-yourself! As soon as I get mine you can bet I will be posting whatever I can think up and do :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
[quote:12e3e750f6="seattlelement"]Bought an Element and after standing back several feet and looking at the underside, the metalish frame in the middle (I don't know the exact name :D ) looks like it hangs down quite low. Was concerned it could be a problem going over large bumps. Is this common, as I have yet to see another Element? Thanks so much.[/quote:12e3e750f6]

I ran into this gas tank "reinforcement" when I installed the side steps on my Element.I had to remove the tubing to gain access to some of the sidestep bolts. To be very honest with you, it is only bent hollow metal tubing held in place by about 6 loosely tightened screws. It will not protect you from a side impact, it was probably designed as more of a protection against speed bumps or road debris if anything since the gas tank is made of plastic. I could not see any ill effects from removing this tubing if you find it unsightly. The only reason I kept it on was because the side steps hid it completely.
Hope this helps!!

BWDave.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts