Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming back from the Porcupine Freedom Festival in Lancaster NH last week. While near the border between NY and PA, my wife managed to hit a deer. We pulled to the side of the road to see what had happened and when I got to the front of the car... BIG gaps. The headlight and turn signal were gone. The composite plastic panels were cracked in several places. The entire front end was smooshed in, giving the appearance that the hood was too long. When I motioned for Lindsay to come out and take a look, she couldn't. The driver's door was wedged shut.

Coolant began pouring out of Bluebeard and we noticed that the radiator is sitting back, tilted and diagonal now.

Nobody was injured except the deer and other than the car, no other property damage happened. It's fully covered by insurance and we were able to get home in a rental (also covered by insurance) but now were waiting on the insurance assesment on repairs and Bluebeard is still in NY, all alone. :(

Has anybody else hit a deer in their E? What kind of repairs needed to be done? I know for SURE that the front plastic panels will need to be replaced. I've got an ASM with blue panels, and I'm concerned that I won't get blue panels for replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just like hitting another car. The body shop will replace, repair and repaint exactly as they would with any damage.

Still better than the deer came out.....

·
Registered
557 Posts
The deer will probably also need to have some things replaced, repaired, and repainted.

You know your supposed to actually hit the deer rather than swerve out of the way if you have the chance? I will not test that unless the need arises, and deer are actually the animal that have killed the most people a year - they kill hunters sometimes, people hit them with cars... etc...

As long as you two were okay, the car can be fixed, or you can get a new one if need be, can't really replace people.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sorry to hear about your deer encounter . Don't worry Bluebeard is not alone in NY. I'm right near the NY,PA border. I'll keep an eye on him for you !!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Someone has posted their encounter about a year ago (In Canada?)
So no you not alone. Glad your OK,but they might need to move the deer crossing sign.;-)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

The insurance inspector went out and estimated $3,700 in damage but felt there was a good possibility of more extensive damage and requested an estimate from a shop before proceeding with the claim.

On the plus side, insurance is covering all but my deductible including the rental and the shop that is doing the work will be warrantied for the life of the vehicle so I don't feel the bill is being inflated.

We'll see when I get the real estimate. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Are you having it repaired in NY ? If so let me know by who and I can let you know if they have a good reputation . As I said in an earlier post I'm right near the NY PA border.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tri-State Auto Body in Port Jervis (I think).

They're on the list of shops from State Farm. State Farm warranties all repairs at their select shops for life.

·
Registered
324 Posts
State Farm knows their stuff! Good shop. Hope everything goes well for you and your E. Are you picking up the E when it's done? If so let me know when and maybe we could meet up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've seen terrible things as part of my training. I tell (nearly yell) at my kids and wife to NEVER, NEVER, EVER swerve to miss an animal in the road. I'm talking about any kind of animal. Chances are you will still hit the creature.

The BAD thing is...is that you will be so focused on missing the poor little animal, that you forget to see the oncoming vehicle or the vehicle traveling next to you. Here's the freaking Greek tragedy... Then you kill the entire family of four on their way to the beach for vacation. Not to mention yourself.

If you have any perception / reaction time, then brake as hard as conditions allow and prepare to take a hit. In the best conditions, The perception / reaction time can be as much as 1.5 seconds. At 60 MPH, that's 132 feet you've traveled as you hit the brakes. At night time, that's like, forever. not much you can do.

Be safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts