Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been the happy owner of a SOP 4WD Element for about 2 1/2 months now. I've never loved a roller like this. It's my pride and joy.

Last month it came my wife's turn to buy a new car. She refused to buy a Honda (we had a terrible experience with an Accord a coupled of years back). So, she decided on a Ford Escape.

She and I have always been competitive (in a fun way). She loves her Escape and is always talking crap (mostly joking) about my Element.

So, as a service to the group, I thought I'd offer my comparison of the two since I own both. This is FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE. I understand I can't speak for all Elements or Escapes.

Initial Quatlity - Escape

Hate to give this one to the Escape but we've had zero problems with it in the first 30 days. In contrast, I had a cracked windshield, trouble shutting the rear hatch and ill-fitting sunroof that had to be repaired in that same time-frame. I take consolation in the fact that the Element is new to the market and Escapes have had more time to work out bugs.

Ride - Tie

The Element handles better in turns, but the Escape, with its available V6 (I wish my Element had one), is very quick. I went from a four banger Saturn to my Element, so I thought the Element was pretty peppy (and it is for a 4cyl) but it feels like a snail after driving the Escape.

I think the Element rides a little smoother (more like a car) than the Escape. The Escape, however, is much quieter inside. I think it's less wind noise because of the shape.

Cool Factor - Element

The Escape gets zero looks and my parents love it. The Element turns all kinds of heads and my parents think its hideous. Enough said.

Practicality - Element

Even my wife admits this. We've hauled all kinds of stuff in both and taken some decent road trips in both. The Element is just more versatile. When those seats fold up it become a cargo van. When they're down, the back seat room is huge.

The Escape isn't impractical. It's got some pretty good cargo space and the interior is spacious enough. The Element is just better in this category.

Fun to drive - Tie?

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised by this too. The Element is a blast to roll around in. Especially because of all the attention you get, the great interior, the big windows, the tight handling, etc. But, the Escape is surprisingly fun too. This is probably mostly due to the bigger engine. Zipping in and out of traffic is just great.

Conculsion

Personally, I wouldn't trade my Element for a 100 Escapes (maybe I would, but only so I could sell 'em). But, I know there are alot of shoppers on this site who are on the fence about what to buy and it's tough to get honest answers from this group of Element owners (blinded by love).

Bottom line: The Element is great, but the Escape isn't a shabby choice either (my wife would say: The Escape is great, but the Element isn't a shabby choice either). We're happy with both.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Show your wife the crash test comparisons between the Element and the Escape and you'll likely win the discussion, and probably lead to a good bit of anxiety.

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_smsuv.htm

The Escape faired so poorly, that I'd seriously worry about her. I wonder if this will lead to a big insurance difference between the two vehicles? I know I plan to mail my agent a copy of that summary next time it's time to renew.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I seriously doubt that (the anxiety). If the Element had done poorly I wouldn't have loved it any less. Would you? It's not like I knew about the results when I bought it (they didn't exist).

It might be safe in a crash, but at this rate, I'm just hoping it doesn't fall apart on me sitting safely in my driveway :) Just kidding (sort of).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but after seening that crash information; I know I'll jump for joy when I get my insurance bill.

As far as Escape owners go......JEEZ....I feel for ya'. Some of those pictures on that site, didn't "paint" too pretty.

E SOP for Me; Baby!!!!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't get too excited about any of these test results. I bought the Element before it was even tested, and I would not sell it now, even if the test proved less than satisfactory. The Escape is a really good car too.

Safety is important to me, but is not the main point to choosing a car. If I was so worried about safety, I guess I would give up motorcycles first!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just my Opinion, but the ford escape is not a quality piece of machinery. First off safety should be a major consideration to anyone buying a car. I'm puzzled to hear your not concerned for your wife's welfare. Look at those crash test results. The car is only traveling at 40 mi./hr. You can get alot better safety for alot less $$ in an element. The escape has lousy gas mileage for a small SUV, as does almost any ford product. Ive never thought Fords were made too well the craftmanship was always lacking. Ive been in two major accidents in fords both times the cars were totaled. The second time the bumper was smashed in 6 inches from my back, I was in the front seat. I will never buy a Ford. And finally resale value. You can pick up quite a few Ford models really cheap with low miles of recent models. Ive driven in escapes several times and have never been impressed with anything they have to offer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Designguy,

First off, you are a jackass for saying I don't care about my wife's welfare. You don't know me and I never came close to suggesting that. My reply was that she doesn't love her Escape any less because of the results of the crash test.

Secondly, I actually OWN an Escape AND an Element, so my comments on the two are educated ones. That said, I can tell you that my Element gets about 21-24 miles per gallon (which isn't great) while the Escape gets about 19-22. But it also has a V6. You do know what that is, right? Do you honestly think if the Element had a V6 it would get the same gas milage? The 4 banger Escapes get comparable gas mileage to the Element.

Think before you write, stupid. And know what your talking about.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Tiger, I thought your post was very informative and unbiased. A very good explanation from someone who knows first hand. You will have to keep us informed as time passes on the differences in the two vehicles. Most vehicles begin showing their true colors as you near the 2nd year of ownership. I think this is where you will notice larger differerences in the way the Ford and the Honda drive. Most of the Escapes I have driven start to get a little more sloppy in transmissions and suspensions after a couple of years. Interior rattles and all that too. Hopefully your wife will love hers, but I am certainly betting that she will be ready to trade long before you are.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bottom line is you own a vehicle made by Honda and your wife owns one made by Ford. I used to own Fords. They are no longer quality. I considered the Escape but found it not nearly as versatile or as much fun as the Element. Then I read some reviews such as Consumer Reports. Unfortunately, Ford (include the Mazda Tribute also) just does not make a quality product nor is the Escape a safe vehicle. I do wish your wife many years of trouble free, safe driving and I hope she enjoys every minute of her ownership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Element was doing great - but today a rock popped up (no car even close to my vehicle) and cracked the windshield. By the time I got home the windshield crack went from one end to the other. ARRGGH !

·
Registered
54 Posts
tigernumber6,

I'm genuinely sorry if my post about the huge differences in safety ratings led, in any way, to the abuse that some of the less sensitive members decided to heap on you. That was specifically not my intention. I would encourage you to keep us posted with continuing impressions of these two vehicles, and thank you very much for your initial post. It was informative, and it was well balanced.

Still, you ask if I would love my Element any less if it had faired badly in the crash tests, and I have to tell you, honestly, that I would indeed, think lot's less of it, and perhaps even consider selling it, if it had performed very poorly in these initial tests.

Make no mistake, I like my Element better than any vehicle that I've ever imagined owning. But both I and my girlfriend have survived walk-away total-loss wrecks in which we were each plowed into by others. Even with the best driving conceivable driving record, one never can know when some 78 yr old man will T-bone a vehicle due to impatience, or when some drugged up crazy will fail to stop at an intersection. (Both are actual situations that happened to us.) A coworker walked away from an encounter with a bus that failed to stop at a redlight and rammed her hybrid mini-car at speed, due largely, to the extreme care that Honda took in making her car. A few years ago, or in different vehicles, these would have been fatalities or at least criplings.

I'm still waiting to see what becomes of side-impact airbags, and how the E fairs in side impact tests with and without airbags. But, this is a subject that some of us take very dear to heart. I'd say that the question isn't will somebody be involved in an accident, but rather, when, and under what conditions, and will the vehicles involved perform in a safe manner? That's just my own take on things at this time.

Sure, the E wasn't even rated when I bought it. But, I was willing to gamble on Honda's attention to this area, and wasn't willing to gamble on the record of several other auto makers that have largely ignored these very real concerns for years. Ya pays your money and you takes your chances.

Peace, safety and happiness

Anyway, thank you again for an informative post. I look forward to more.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
natural wonder, you didn't spark anything. If anything, I probably over reacted. I enjoy this group and all the opinions (both the ones I agree with and those I don't).

Sorry to the rest of the group for the heated post. I should've just let it roll off.

That said, however, some of you need to stop being so touchy when someone posts something even slightly negative about the Element or nice about another roller. It's getting a little ridiculous. It's a cool car but some of you treat it like a sacred cow.

As I've said before, the Element is perfect for me, but it's far from perfect.

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
I couldnt agree more... I LOVE my Element. I love the utility,looks,comfort,ride, and all the looks I get. There is no other car that compares to my interest in the Element but there are other cars on the road that are just as good or better than the element. some people are just to quick to not like anything but the E.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Another consideration is resale/trade-in value. Honda's typically maintain a much higher percentage of their original value at trade-in time whereas domestic makes typically do not. Of course, your mileage may vary...

Regards,
SOL

·
Registered
48 Posts
[quote:9543ba790b="tigernumber6"]That said, however, some of you need to stop being so touchy when someone posts something even slightly negative about the Element or nice about another roller. It's getting a little ridiculous. It's a cool car but some of you treat it like a sacred cow.

As I've said before, the Element is perfect for me, but it's far from perfect.[/quote:9543ba790b]

EXACTLY! Even though I love my E, it is -when all is said and done- just a vehicle. Please don't take offense, I baby my E and have treated it to all sorts of accessories and add-ons. Hell, it's even EOTM on another site.

Let's just discuss things with less emotion and without taking personal offense.

This thread has drifted................................................. :roll:

Clark

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tiger-
I do apologize. I believe I took your first response the wrong way. And I was completely way out of line to suggest that you were not concerned for the welfare of your wife.
It was stupid of me to even write such a thing. I hope you can forgive me for being an idiot!
Sincerely,
Mark-

·
Registered
10 Posts
....trying to get thread back on track......

Not to change the subject; but I bet that Toyota SCION XB 's crash results will suck. BIG TIME..IMHO

It looks so "paper thin" that if you were in a 20MPH crash, you probably wouldn't make it.

And that will be one more reason to stick with the Element. :D

Just making an observation!....

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:b0d357c9f7="rhen597"]....
Not to change the subject; but I bet that Toyota SCION XB 's crash results will suck. BIG TIME..IMHO

It looks so "paper thin" that if you were in a 20MPH crash, you probably wouldn't make it....[/quote:b0d357c9f7]

I would not count on that. Toyota is a very very sharp company. As far as Japanese car makers go, they are every bit as good as Honda. I predict that the SCION will make some pretty good ratings on the crash results. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
280 Posts
Tiger,

Great initial post about the 2 cars. My twin brother owns a Mazda Tribute and I'm waiting for my Green E to arrive (4 to 6 weeks. argggggh). We both like his Tribute (which is a twin of the Escape). He described the styling of the Element as, um, "funky". I'm also moving from a Saturn with a whopping 88 horsepower, so the Element feels like a little rocket to me.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts